My name is Anh and I am part of a mobile startup company, Shoelace Wireless. I have been around the XDA forums for a while and decided this community would be a great place to share our new project as a Private Beta.
What are you sharing with us?
VideoBee is a showcase app for a networking technology we developed that enables a user to make use of cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth connections simultaneously in order to stream videos faster.
Solo mode (one device): you can use both WiFi and cellular networks simultaneously on your device (instead of switching between them) to stream video faster.
Group mode (two devices): this mode allows you to create a group and connect two nearby devices through Bluetooth. It then combines the bandwidth from both devices to stream the video faster. You can watch the same video on both devices or just on one of them (and use the second screen for statistics). During Beta, group mode is limited to two devices.
Video sites currently supported: YouTube, Metacafe, Vimeo, and NBC videos. More video sites will be supported in the future.
Supported devices: we currently support Android phones and tablets 2.3+, including KitKat! We have tested VideoBee on
- SamsungVibrant, Captivate, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Note 2, Note 3
- HTC One
- Nexus S, 4, 5, 7
- Motorolla Moto X
- Huawei Ascent P6
- Sony Xperia Z
... and many more with our beta testers!
VideoBee does NOT require root. You will need an access code to run the app - see instructions below.
We are planning on adding more features, but for now we are debugging and working out any issues we currently have in the app. We are seeking your feedback and thoughts on the technology, any bugs you may find, and also any suggestions for improvements or new features you would like us to implement. Please give us your feedback using the in-app Feedback button, or in this thread, or send your thoughts to email@example.com.
Thank you all so much for making XDA the community that it is!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Q: Why my cellular 2/3/4G does not download even when I select dual mode? A: Please make sure you have good cellular signals, and that you don't use any other apps to disable cellular data. If you watch YouTube videos, the cellular link may take up to 30s to start downloading. Try the app with a little longer ~10 min videos to see if it works. For Metacafe, Vimeo, and NBC, the cellular link may start quite quickly.
- Q: Why my second device does not boost? A: Please make sure you have good wifi/cellular signal for the second phone. If you watch YouTube videos, the second phone may take up to 30s to start boosting. Try the app with a little longer ~10 min videos to see if it works. For Metacafe and NBC, the second phone may start boosting quite quickly.
- Q: Can I download and watch video later with VideoBee? A: VideoBee caches 30MB of the last video(s) you watch so you can immediately re-watch them. VideoBee currently does not have download and store functionality.
- Q: Why does it stop buffering after a while? A: VideoBee currently only pre-fetches 30MB of the currently playing video. When the video progresses, it will fetch more. We plan to make this 50MB parameter configurable in the future.
There are quite a few major players in the source-built custom ROM world nowadays, but undoubtedly the … more
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?