Flag Marseille
Thanks Meter: 961

1,481 posts
Donate to Me
More
TUTORIAL
UNBRAND (FLASH) NOKIA WINDOWS PHONE 8

INTRODUCING

All members of xda-developers, and the author can not be held responsible for any damage to any of your devices after applying the following. Technically, if you realize the flashing operation, you lose the warranty of your Nokia Windows Phone 8. However, I "think" that the "after sales services" do not watch it. Although Nokia Care Suite PST belongs to Nokia (or Microsoft now), I still made ​​a lot of work in logic, writing, redaction, and used my time for everything this tutorial. Therefore, I will be grateful for not copy this tutorial.

This tutorial, deal the method with Nokia Care Suite, because is the solution more complete. This may serve to downgraded, flashed (of course), unbranded, unbricked, updated, etc ... your device. By cons, the flashing operation will not simunlock (and not re-simlock if simunlocked already) your device! This thread has always the latest versions in date of Nokia Care Suite and of Data Package Manager.

To illustrate my example (this is just example among many other), I take a Nokia Lumia 920 with as Product Code 059Q8C2 RM-821 VAR EU FR CV BLACK (version WP8.0 GDR2 OS, 3047.0000.1326.2002 Lumia Amber firmware). I emphasize the fact that this is just an example, I could very well do the manipulations with Nokia Lumia 1520 for example, or any other Nokia Windows Phone 8. If, after the flash of Product Code, the systems apps (extra+info, glance screen, etc ...) and normal apps are not update, I recommend you download and install the SysApp Pusher app, that will help you to these put apps update.

Do not quote the OP (post #1, so this post) or post #2, because they are long. If you have any problems with this tutorial, error flash, etc ..., please post an message report in this thread (and not by private message) with a screenshot and with your Hardware Product Type and your Hardware Product Code. Note, that you can click on the images to enlarge.

Do not hesitate to post an feedback, they is welcome ! This only takes a little time and allows express at better your gratitude, so please put a Thanks! button and rate this thread with 5 stars, I hope . You can also pay me a beer by making a PayPal donation via the "Donate to Me" button . What else? Please, no not reupload elsewhere the files downloaded! Note finally, that if you are French, this tutorial is available in the language of Molière on the MonWindowsPhone forum.

INFORMATIONS

Here in this subtitle are grouped all the little details:
  • [14.10.14] The Nokia Care servers work currently correctly.
  • [12.10.14] The Nokia Care servers have currently the problems.
  • [06.10.14] The Nokia Care servers work currently correctly.
  • [03.10.14] The Nokia Care servers have currently the problems.
  • [01.09.14] The Nokia Care servers work currently correctly.
  • [31.08.14] The Nokia Care servers are currently down.

SUMMARY OF PARTS/STEPS
  • Prerequisites
  • Authentication file for Nokia Care servers
  • Download the Product Code
  • Flash the Product Code
  • Make the hardware reset

PREREQUISITES
AUTHENTICATION FILE FOR NOKIA CARE SERVERS
  • For PC with Windows x86 (32 bits)
    Copy the file UserGroupsConfiguration.cfg (therefore the decompressed file), in the three following directories / paths:
    • "C:\Programmes\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Data Package Manager\bin" (essential for using Data Package Manager category).
    • "C:\Programmes\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Multi Software Updater 5.0" (not useful for the tutorial, but essential to use the Multi Software Updater 5.0 category).
    • "C:\Programmes\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0" (not useful for the tutorial, but essential to use the Product Support Tool For Store 5.0 category).
  • For PC with Windows x64 (64 bits)
    Copy the file UserGroupsConfiguration.cfg (therefore the decompressed file), in the three following directories / paths:
    • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Data Package Manager\bin" (essential for using Data Package Manager category).
    • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Multi Software Updater 5.0" (not useful for the tutorial, but essential to use the Multi Software Updater 5.0 category).
    • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0" (not useful for the tutorial, but essential to use the Product Support Tool For Store 5.0 category).

DOWNLOAD THE PRODUCT CODE
  • Run "Nokia Care Suite" software and double-click on the "Data Package Manager" category. A superimposed window called "Login to NOL" opens, click on "Work offline". A second window superimposed called "Work offline" opens, click on "Ok".
  • Data Package Manager finally opens, and in the top left of the window it, click on "File", and on "Work Online". A window called superimposed "Login to NOL" opens, make sure the "Login Group" box matches good to "Nokia Care servers", and click on "Ok". Wait a short time that the software authenticates to Nokia Care servers. In proceeding thus, there will be less of chance for that the authentication at Nokia Care servers fails / not succeed.
  • Fill in the two parameters that are Product Type and Product Code. Click on "Search". Select the file found, and at the bottom right of the window click on "Download Selected". You can click on the "Ongoing Browser Activities" tab, for monitor in detail the progress of the download (download speed, ETA, etc ...). It you remains simply to waiting that the download is completed to up 100%.

FLASH THE PRODUCT CODE
  • Run "Nokia Care Suite" software (if not already the case), and double-click on the "Product Support Tool For Store 5.0" category. A superimposed window called "Sign in" opens, click on "Work offline" and stay on it!
  • In top left of the "Product Support Tool For Store - Nokia Care Suite" window, click on "File", and on "Open Product". Find your device (be careful to choose the Product Type that match you), or in the "Filter" box tap on your keyboard the name of your device and select the result (in my case, it is a (RM-821) Nokia Lumia 920). Then click on "Open".
  • In bottom left of the "Product Support Tool For Store - Nokia Care Suite" window, click on "Programming", and then click on "Recovery".
    Click on "Update list". Select the Product Code downloaded. Click on "Start".
    Wait a little that the software verifies of data packages integrity, and then it start flashing operation but it will show you an error (it indicates that the application has lost the connection with your device, but this is normal because the phone is not yet connected).

• Connect the USB end into the USB port of your PC. Turn off your WP8 Nokia Lumia. Connect the other USB end to the USB port of your WP8 Nokia Lumia. Press both the Power button and the Volume Down button. Once a vibration felt, click on Retry in Recovery window.
  • If a error message like this during flashing: "MSG_INVALID_SIZE_SECURE_FLASH_RESP: 0x00040006" If that happens, try changing the USB port where your WP8 Nokia Lumia is connected. For example, if it's a USB 3.0 port, try to connect it to a USB 2.0 port. Thanks to @whoadood for his observation !
  • If a message like this during flashing: "You have chosen not assigned product code for this device, do you wish to continue?" This is normal, it just means that the Product Code chosen does not matches with that of the WP8 Nokia Lumia. But do not worry, this is quite normal. Click on OK.
  • Wait the flashing process. Click on Close.
  • Congratulation, the process of flash is end! You're with a new Product Code on your device !

MAKE THE HARDWARE RESET

The hardware reset (abbreviated "hr"), also called hard reset or again factory reset, allows full reset of your Windows Phone device. The flashing process is a "heavy" operation on the phone, and bugs on the fragmented memory may occur due to flash process. Thus, by performing a hardware reset, this will erase the phone memory to overcome these problems.
  • Turn off your Nokia Windows Phone 8.
  • Turn on your Nokia Windows Phone 8 and quickly, press the "volume down" bouton until an exclamation mark appears.
  • Press once on the following four buttons in this order: "volume up", "volume down", "on/off", and "volume down".
  • Two toothed wheels appear and your Nokia Windows Phone 8 must reset and restart by itself (the process can take some time).

DONATORS, CREDITS, THANKS
  • @Androidrobbus for his PayPal donation of $10.00 USD, very thanks !
  • @Armin Roth for his PayPal donation of $10.00 USD, very thanks !
  • @Carlo Paje for his PayPal donation of $17.00 USD, very thanks !
  • @DatDereX1 for his PayPal donation of $15.00 USD, very thanks !
  • @Dean Harris for his PayPal donation of €5.00 EUR, very thanks !
  • @hlava for his PayPal donation of €2.00 EUR, very thanks !
  • @Ian Jones for his PayPal donation of $10.00 USD, very thanks !
  • @Jonathan Sato for his PayPal donation of €8.00 EUR, very thanks !
  • @malvo26 for his PayPal donation of $10.00 USD, very thanks !
  • @Mariusz Koniuszko for his PayPal donation of $10.00 USD, very thanks !
  • @Vuillard for his PayPal donation of $5.00 USD, very thanks !
  • @Wong Theodore for his PayPal donation of $10.00 USD, very thanks !
Last edited by anaheiim; 17th October 2014 at 12:42 PM.
The Following 166 Users Say Thank You to anaheiim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th November 2013, 08:47 PM   |  #2  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Marseille

1,481 posts
Donate to Me
More
[Explanation] Nokia Windows Phone 8 Product Type and Product Code

EXPLANATION
NOKIA WINDOWS PHONE 8 PRODUCT TYPE AND PRODUCT CODE

INTRODUCING

The Product Type and Product Code are used to identify the origin of the Nokia devices ROM (in our case, the Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8). They are also used for downloading the Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8 ROM in using [Tutorial] Unbrand (flash) Nokia Windows Phone 8. At the end of this thread, you'll know why there is a differences between each ROM when deploying updates (OTA and FOTA) of Microsoft and of OEMs (manufacturers). Also, You'll know what is a Product Type and Product Code of Nokia, how to differentiate/recognize, what they are and how to flash. And a list of Product Type and Product Code is available a bit lower.

THE PRODUCT TYPE

He composed, himself, under the form RM-xxx (where xxx is only three digits, eg RM-821 is one of the Product Type of the Nokia Lumia 920). Each Product Type corresponds to different physical features (hardware) such as networks frequency, which are different for different regions of the world (divided into several large parts). The Product Type can be "virtually" changed / flashed, but only in specific cases (same device, unlocked bootloader (maybe?), etc). This would imply, necessarily, of change/flash also Product Code because it is defined by the Product Type. However, this was not very useful because some capabilities are lost due to hardware and/or software. A list of Product Type and Product Code is available here a little further down.

THE PRODUCT CODE

He composed, himself, under the form 059xxxx (where xxxx is usually an alphanumeric combination, eg 059Q8C2 is a Product Code of Nokia Lumia 920 RM-821). Each Product Code indicates origin and corresponds to a particular and specific region of the world: a country, a mobile operator, etc. The Product Code can be "virtually" changed/flashed with far fewer restrictions than Product Type (see below).

THE DESCRIPTION

Undoubtedly the part of this thread, the most longest to explain. A description is increment at the Product Code and at the Product Type. This gives: Product Code + Product Type + Description. Note that there is not a "+" normally, it is just for example. It is the combination of these three products that shape completely and truly a Product Code. The description is very important because without, it we would not know corresponds what this such or such Product Code, which would be a pity, of course.

But, what this description is composed? Well, it is actually composed of some variable information (series of words, most of which are initials) we indicating the source of the ROM (because yes, at Nokia, Product Code = ROM). Some information is easy to guess/find, others a little less, it's like that (myself, I do not know them all).
  • Example of a Complete Product Code (059V276 RM-937 VAR EURO FR CV BLACK) under infographic form (click on the images to enlarge):

So, we can see that this Product Code is principally a variant for the RM-937 (Nokia Lumia 1520) black color, unbranded/naked, located in Europe and specifically in France.
  • Another example of a complete Product Code (059S559 RM-915 VAR APAC AU TELSTRA SL) under infographic form (click on the images to enlarge):

So, we can see that this Product Code is principally a variant for the RM-915 (Nokia Lumia 520), SIM Locked and branded on the Telstra mobile operator, located in Asia-Pacific and specifically in Australia.
List of Product Type corresponding to such or such Nokia Lumia:
If you want to know what is your Hardware Product Type, then it is usually inscribed physically or in/on the drawer of the SIM card or in/on one MicroSD card. You can also look at what it is on the Internet (you can look here just below).
List of region code in the world:
  • APAC = Asia-Pacific
  • EU / EURO / EURO1 / EURO2 = Europe
  • IMEA / MEA = Middle East and Africa
  • LATAM / LTA = Latin American
  • NAM = North American
  • Etc ...
List of country codes under ISO official form:
List of country codes available on the official website of the ISO standards.
List of mobile operators in the world:
List of mobile operator available on Wikipedia.
List of color codes:
  • BLACK
  • GREEN
  • GREY
  • RED
  • WHITE
  • YELLOW
  • Etc ...
List of other information that maybe mentioned:
  • 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, etc ... = A simple reference to determine the amount of memory available in the system (because there are variations of memory size, are generally operators variant).
  • GLOBAL = Product Code which incorporates most of the global information/settings (this is a Product Code which is almost never updated).
  • SL = SIM Locked
  • Etc ...

BRANDED, UNBRANDED/NAKED, YOU SAID A DIFFERENCE?

And what a difference! Mobile operators love to create firmware to integrate in the ROM. Generally, they are useless and poorly built for at final weigh down the whole system, hoping that you will use their sometimes questionable application. Moreover, most users seek to remove this embarrassing firmware.

At best, under Windows Phone, they will make an accent color in more (typically the color of their logo) but they do not all do. In parallel, they incorporate a lot of little unnecessary parameters. No need to mention the fact that some mobile operators (I would not give names, but they are very recognizable) remove some features. Also, the updates are strictly deployed by the mobile operator itself: hence their deployment takes forever. Branded, is the term given to this very common practice for most mobile operators.

But good news: we can unbranded our terminals, that is to say, make the device "naked". It turns out that this term is the exact opposite branded practice. No firmware operator, in the case of Windows Phone, it is 100% clean of Microsoft and of OEM. Moreover, the VVM (Visual VoiceMail) are integrated if available for the country/operator. For updates, it is directly OEMs who give the green light to Microsoft. You'll probably including: totally prefer unbranded/naked Product Code!

AVAILABILITY OF UPDATES (OTA AND FOTA)

If you do not know, the availability of updates OTA (Over The Air) and FOTA (Firmware Over The Air) is directly influenced by the ROM integrated at your device Windows Phone 8. The cause? A registry key whose value differs from the ROM to another, depending on the country (unbranded/naked) and/or mobile operator (branded).

Indeed, if you are, for example for Nokia Lumia, in a Hong Kong Product Code while you wait for the deployment of updates to France, you may, I fear, long wait. Another example: if you are under a branded Product Code Orange France, deployment updates shalt be slower and you may, again, wait long, in conversely that if you were under the French unbranded/naked Product Code.

This is valid for all Windows Phone as well as WP7.x and WP8.x (that this whether HTC, Huawei, Nokia, Samsung, etc ...).

BUT THEN, WHAT PRODUCT CODE IS "BEST" FOR ME?

Good question. Well it depends on a couple of things... I urge you to flash a Product Code that corresponds above all to your device, your country and is unbranded/naked. Even if I repeat, never take a branded Product Code, it is a golden rule and everyone will tell you (if unbranded/naked is available for you)! Third thing that enters into account, although this is irrelevant if you are mistaken: the color of your Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8.

To help choose the correct Product Code, I created a listing of most of the Product Code Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8, available here a little further down.

THE HARDWARE PRODUCT CODE

As you know, we can change/flasher of Product Code (to the extent possible and of the device type). However, this does not mean that the Hardware Product Code (Product Original Code, generally inscribed physically on/in the drawer of the SIM card or on/in one MicroSD card) will be changed. Clearly, the Hardware Product Code will not change, whatever you do! That said, it has no impact on the flashed Product Code: in fact, ​​in it is just there to remember "who he is, what is her name" and be able to easily re-flash if necessary. I would not speak of Hardware Product Type, but know that the principle remains the same.

WHAT ARE WAYS TO CHANGE/FLASH A PRODUCT CODE?

There are a lot of ways, diverse and varied, to change/flash a Product Code, som less official than others. That is why I would treat two means provided by Nokia itself:
  • Nokia Care Suite, the with lots of features, can do a lot of manipulation. You can, download any Product Code (by entering the correct settings), read the IMEI, re-flash the Hardware Product Code, flashed (change/unbranded) any Product Code (to the extent possible and types), debriked/repaired, perform hardware tests, generate error reports, and much more.
  • Nokia Software Recovery Tool, allows download, flash and debricked/repaired the only Hardware Product Code. But, its UI (User Interface) is very simplistic.

LIST OF NOKIA LUMIA WINDOWS PHONE 8 PRODUCT TYPE AND PRODUCT CODE
Last edited by anaheiim; 2nd October 2014 at 03:50 PM.
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to anaheiim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 02:40 PM   |  #3  
Flag Marseille

1,481 posts
Donate to Me
More
[Regrouping] The errors that you may meet
REGROUPING
THE ERRORS THAT YOU MAY MEET

INTRODUCING

Here are grouped (some) errors you might encounter throughout the tutorial. They will be ranked in order of the Nokia Care Suite modules that you use.
Coming.
Last edited by anaheiim; 2nd October 2014 at 07:28 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anaheiim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 03:51 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 246

290 posts
More
@anaheiim have you tried this recently? I tried to grab some firmware for the Lumia 521 for TMO and it wouldn't let me download the firmware. It keeps saying "Access is denied. Verify credentials." when you click the download button.

Looking at the exchange through Fiddler, I got the direct link for the ffu and was able to download it no problem via my web browser. I am hoping this is just a temporary server issue, but anecdotal posts indicate it's been broken for at least a couple of weeks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to compu829 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 05:47 PM   |  #5  
Flag PERPIGNAN
Thanks Meter: 103

512 posts
More
You have installed "UserGroupsConfiguration"?
The Following User Says Thank You to titi66200 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 10:36 PM   |  #6  

290 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by titi66200

You have installed "UserGroupsConfiguration"?

yes. I tried the one in in the OP as well as a few others. Everything works until you actually hit the download button. When you do, it says it was added to queue then pops up an "access is denied" error. (Then the program crashes due to poor error handling.) It looks like they deprecated the soap calls GetVariant3, GetVariant4, GetVariant, GetVariant5, and GetVariant2. Analyzing the actual packet it claims the server returned is a 500 - Internal Server error. The call at the beginning of the exchange for "GetVariantAll" works fine and returns all the URLs needed for download, so I am not sure why the additional calls are necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to compu829 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 11:05 PM   |  #7  
Flag Marseille

1,481 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by compu829

yes. I tried the one in in the OP as well as a few others. Everything works until you actually hit the download button. When you do, it says it was added to queue then pops up an "access is denied" error. (Then the program crashes due to poor error handling.) It looks like they deprecated the soap calls GetVariant3, GetVariant4, GetVariant, GetVariant5, and GetVariant2. Analyzing the actual packet it claims the server returned is a 500 - Internal Server error. The call at the beginning of the exchange for "GetVariantAll" works fine and returns all the URLs needed for download, so I am not sure why the additional calls are necessary.

For me, it works.
Try with this UserGroupsConfiguration.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anaheiim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 11:21 PM   |  #8  

290 posts
More
@anaheiim. Same problem with that file. "access is denied". Also, I tried the DataPackageManager application. That returns "error while retrieving a list of variant packages" whenever I click "search".
The Following User Says Thank You to compu829 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 11:31 PM   |  #9  
Flag Marseille

1,481 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by compu829

@anaheiim. Same problem with that file. "access is denied". Also, I tried the DataPackageManager application. That returns "error while retrieving a list of variant packages" whenever I click "search".

Can you make screenshot of any error message that you had with this tutorial?
The Following User Says Thank You to anaheiim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2013, 12:04 AM   |  #10  

290 posts
More
All fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaheiim

Can you make screenshot of any error message that you had with this tutorial?

Ok. Your tutorial works. One thing I missed:
1. Data Package Manager requires product type AND product code. I read it quickly and thought it was OR.

TL;DR: User error. I didn't follow the tutorial. Follow the tutorial!

Long Explanation:

I was trying to use the tools the way I had a couple of months ago (based on other tutorials all over the Internet) ....which didn't require downloading anything via "Data Package Manager". The "old" steps are as follows:

1. Launch "Product Support Tool For Store"
2. When asked to log in, select "CareSuite External" and press "Sign In"
3. Go to the "Tools" menu and select "Firmware Download"
4. Enter the product code for the required firmware and click "Check Online"
5. Check the box "optional Content Files" (I tried it both ways).
6. press "Download".

After I'd press download, a message would come up saying "access is denied" (see attached screenshot)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firmware Update tool error.JPG
Views:	2515
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	2380372  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to compu829 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flash, how to, nokia lumia, rom, unbrand
Previous Thread Next Thread