The Lumia devices, like the others smartphones, are compounds of an software system, this one constituting what that is called abusively an ROM (Read-Only Memory). It's possible to replace it by another. This modification, done through various specific softwares, is called the flash.
Since this tutorial, to done this modification in your Lumia device, you have to use the Windows Phone Image Designer (WPID) software developed by Microsoft. This software uses the Microsoft FFU Download Mode booting to done this.
The mostly of the Internet links or of the screenshots included in this tutorial can display various advertisings once opened. You can watch this short video to learn how to access at the real content of an Internet link or of an screenshot.
Don't hesitate to post your feedback by message on this thread. This tutorial is also available in French from the MonWindowsPhone community.
Disclaimers and advices
The XDA-Developers community, her representatives (staff), her members, Microsoft, myself (Khaagan), or any other entity/person whatever it is, can't be responsible in case any damage of your Lumia device after the utilization of this tutorial.
The utilization of the Windows Phone Image Designer software could produce an software damage of your Lumia device. As comparison, the utilization of the Windows Phone Recovery Tool (WPRT) software could produce an software damage of your Lumia device even more severe than of the previously mentioned software.
I recommend to accomplish this tutorial on an PC with an separate alimentation of the sector for palliate at the potential power cuts. For example, a laptop PC has an built-in battery.
Be sure to remove the microSD card (if available) and the SIM card of your Lumia device during all of this tutorial and of fully charge the battery of it.
Of course, the replacement of an ROM by another in your Lumia device would deleting any data. So remember to backup all your user content.
Lastly, I recommend to read correctly and entirely the differents steps of this tutorial, because the important informations are written.
Information about the sharing and/or the translation of this tutorial
If you wish, you can share and/or translate the totality of this tutorial. However, there is few necessary conditions at this. Thus, in your thread:
- indicate clearly the original author (me, Khaagan) of this tutorial;
- provide an Internet link redirecting to the original tutorial (source) clearly visible;
- if the screenshots are those of the original tutorial, don't remove the XDA-Developers watermark;
- don't re-upload the LumiaFlashTools.zip archive elsewhere. In others terms, keep the original download link (available on this tutorial) for this archive.
Structure of tutorial
I have wrotre this tutorial of manner clear, complete and simple as possible, this for that the largest number of you can achieve this tutorial easily and without clutters. The tutorial is written into six parts, each constituted of a specific theme:
- Various preparations
- ROM's download
- ROM's installation
- Annex - Additional informations
- Frequently asked questions
Different numbers of blue color appear in the text of the tutorial and are reproduced on the screenshots. An number corresponds at an action or at an information described textually in the tutorial and visually in the screenshots.
Status of the servers
The status of the servers where the ROMs are stored can take three differents forms:
- partially available;
Thread by the Numbers
Here are some statistics from this tutorial that I'd like to introduce you. Currently, only the tutorial written in English on the XDA-Developers community is taken into account.
- 700 000 is the number of readings of this tutorial.
- 4 000 000 is the number of minutes spent to flash.
- 900 000 is the number of GB of data downloaded.
I wish say thank so much to all those who support the work done, but likewise those who post the feedbacks! If you want to offer to me a coffee, a beer, or any others drinks, here is my PayPal account. Note that if you make a donation, you'll be mentionned below, except otherwise specified of your part.
- Thank to Aleksandar Rankovic for his donation.
- Thank to @Androidrobbus for his donation.
- Thank to Armin Roth for his donation.
- Thank to Arthur Goan for his donation.
- Thank to Carlo Paje for his donation.
- Thank to Carlos Benavides Marroquin for his donation.
- Thank to @DatDereX1 for his donation.
- Thank to David White for his donation.
- Thank to Dean Harris for his donation.
- Thank to @GEO147 for his donation.
- Thank to @gio300zx for his donation.
- Thank to @hlava for his donation.
- Thank to Ian Jones for his donation.
- Thank to Issa Al-Balushi for his donation.
- Thank to Jean-Marie Coulot for his donation.
- Thank to Jonathan Sato for his donation.
- Thank to @LeeC22 for his donation.
- Thank to @malvo26 for his donation.
- Thank to Manish Pandey for his donation.
- Thank to Mariusz Koniuszko for his donation.
- Thank to Microsoft for having developed his software.
- Thank to @pdaimatejam for having provided the required driver.
- Thank to Richard Black for his donation.
- Thank to Steven McConnachie for his donation.
- Thank to tarzanxxl for his donatiOn.
- Thank to Theodore Wong for his donation.
- Thank to Thomas Sobey for his donation.
- Thank to @Vuillard for his donation.
- Thank to @willverduzco for his article of this thread.
- Thank to @WPVision.de for his German translation of this tutorial.