[ROOT][ROM][TUTORIAL] Rooting and modifying the LG G2 + softbrick help
Let's admit it.
Your new LG G2 is running 4.2.2 and that just isn't enough. You want 4.4. Well you will have to wait for that. With CyanogenMod 10.2, you can get a near AOSP device running 4.3. I tried to make this an easy tutorial by using terms everyday people can understand. NOTE: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR APPS AND ACCOUNTS OFF YOUR PHONE! You will retain most of your internal storage, however. By the way, the "Knock-on" feature will only work to turn your phone on as of this CM build. Also some help at bottom if you soft brick phone (aka it turns on, but doesn't regular boot or boot into recovery. Lets get started:
1. Latest build of CyanogenMod (for now on CM) *DOWNLOAD THIS ONTO YOUR DEVICE IN THE DOWNLOADS FOLDER*:
Make sure to support the mod. By far one of the best roms out there.
2. Download Google Apps or "Gapps". Make sure to read the text on the download page. Then scroll down to the table and download Gapps for CM 10.2 *DOWNLOAD THIS ONTO YOUR DEVICE IN THE DOWNLOADS FOLDER*
3. Make sure you have a custom recovery. TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP) is Highly Recommended
. Download the latest build (most likely 18.104.22.168) *DOWNLOAD THIS ONTO YOUR COMPUTER*
Please support TeamWin
. They really outdid themselves with TWRP.
4. The Root (ioroot10). All credit goes xda member thecubed (aka IOMonster). Original thread
. *DOWNLOAD THIS TO YOUR COMPUTER, EXTRACT FILES"
5. You will need Android SDK to push your TWRP recovery to your phone *DOWNLOAD THIS TO YOUR COMPUTER, EXTRACT FILES* This might take a while to download.
Ok, so you should have 5 downloads: CM, Gapps, TWRP, the Root, and Android SDK. CM and Gapps should be saved to the downloads folder on your SD card on your phone. Extract ioroot10.zip and Android SDK files and I recommend putting TWRP, ioroot10, and the SDK onto your desktop.
CM and Gapps are on your phone. TWRP, Root, and SDK, are on your computer.
Phone is unplugged
1. Go to Settings>About Phone and tap build number 7 times to unlock developer options (it will give a message if you do this properly).
2. Go to Settings> Developer Options (this should a new category) and make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
3. Plug in LG G2 and let drivers download.
Phone is Plugged in
4. When a message comes up asking what type of connection you want, choose internet connection>ethernet.
5. On the status bar, there should an icon that looks like the android icon with antennae (get it - deBUGging). If there is not a debugging icon, try changing the usb connection type. You may have to change it to Media Transfer.
6. Once connected with debugging enabled, shift-right-click in the ioroot10 folder on your computer and select "open command window here".
7. Type in adb devices: <file source>\ioroot10>adb devices
8. You may get a message saying the daemon had started first, but it should say "List of devices attached" with your device labeled under the message. If no message appears saying your devices is attached, troubleshoot (disconnect phone, disable debugging, enable it, plug back in).
9. Now close the command prompt.
10. right-click root.bat
in the ioroot10 folder and select run as administrator.
11. "Press any key to begin"
12. The command prompt should say "looking for devices". Now look at your phone and you should see a message from the computer requesting permission. Tap "Yes". If there is no message, close the window and start from step 10 again.
13. The command prompt should now list your phone and carrier and ask you to unplug your phone, disable USB debugging, enable USB debugging, and plug your phone back in. Do this and continue.
14. Another message will come up asking you if you want to install SuperUser (su). If you choose no, you will not root your phone and the process will stop. NOTE: THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO CHANGE YOUR MIND!
15. Press continue and you should get a message saying "done, enjoy your phone!"
By now, you have rooted your phone and we will now install TWRP as a recovery partition. Here is an awesome video
made by ZetaTango if you still have questions.
: TWRP Installation
PHONE IS PLUGGED IN AT ALLTIMES DURING THIS STEP
1. Extract Android SDK .zip package if you haven't already. Place the TWRP .img file you downloaded (openrecovery-twrp-22.214.171.124-g2vsw.img) into \[android sdk bundle name]\sdk\platform-tools.
2. In this same folder, you should see an application called adb.exe
3. Do not start this app as all you will see is a quick command prompt window with a lot of text. This won't damage anything, it is just useless.
4. What you need to do is shift-right-click in platform-tools folder and "open command windows here"
5. Copy this code one line at a time (ignore what is in parentheses):
adb push openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199-g2vzw.img /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-188.8.131.52-g2vzw.img
(IF YOU DONT SEE A #, type su to get it.)
dd if=/data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-184.108.40.206-g2vzw.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
6. This should work if you've placed the TWRP .img file in the platform-tools folder.
7. DOUBLE CHECK THAT YOU HAVE CM AND GAPPS IN YOUR DOWNLOAD FOLDER. If you don't, you're screwed after the next step.
8. Type >adb reboot recovery
9. This will reboot your device and start it in recovery mode that should look like a very primitive version of android (not really)
Now your phone should be in recovery mode and plugged in. As long as CM and Gapps are in your downloads folder, you are doing fine. Sorry no video for this step.
: Installing CyanogenMod w/Gapps
PHONE SHOULD STILL BE PLUGGED IN
1. On the home page of the recovery launcher, select "Backup" and make sure all boxes are checked off. Slide to to backup. Wait for it to complete. Tap home button when it is complete.
2. Select Wipe>Advanced Wipe and make sure ONLY
these boxes are checked off: Dalvik Cache, System, Cache, and Data. Swipe to wipe. Wait for completion and tap home button.
3. Now select "Install". Your CM and Gapps should be located in your downloads folder.
4. Select your downloads folder and tap the CyanogenMod file. Then tap "Add more zips" and tap your Gapps file.
5. Once your CM and Gapps have been selected, swipe to flash them. Wait for process to complete.
6. When the ROMs have been flashed, select Reboot System and your phone will load with CyanogenMod 10.2
You should see the CyanogenMod loading screen and then make a CyanogenMod account and set up your AOSP LG G2 phone. Here is a video
for this step by OfficialSoftModder. Yes, he is using a Nexus 7, but it the exact same process.
Hope you guys were able to do this with ease. Please comment any questions and I will be sure to answer them. WHAT? YOU BRICKED YOUR PHONE??!!?!
Lucky for you, as long as you didn't kill the battery, you should be able to save your phone.
1. Unplug bricked phone.
2. Hold power button until device shuts down and for 2 seconds after the devices shuts down. plug in phone. While, plugged in, it will turn on.
3. .Turn off again, then hold power and up sound at the same time to enter download mode. Go here
and folow the directions.
4. Start all over again. Your phone after this will be unrooted and back to factory settings.