500 Firepaper provides a live wallpaper and a daydream showing you the latest images from 500px throughout the day.
You never need to look at that boring old wallpaper again, or search for hours for a nice new one. This app will show you quality photographs from all over the world - different ones each day!
The feature (popular, editor's choice, fresh, etc) and categories displayed are of course configurable, as is the refresh interval and the brightness of the images.
Please note that high resolution imagery and animation takes quite a bit of memory, so obviously this app is aimed at high-end devices.
If you are a Muzei user, 500 Firepaper also presents itself as an art source to Muzei.
Why is there no save feature ?
Not allowed per 500px API terms
Three finger tap to go to the next image doesn't seem to work, what now ?
On some devices (like the HTC One) you need to put down your fingers one-by-one.
Why can't I pause indefinitely or show an image for longer than a day ?
Per 500px API terms the app cannot keep an image around for longer than 24 hours
Why does this use so much RAM ?
High-resolution imagery takes a lot of memory in uncompressed form, and multiple buffers are required. But fear not, should your device need the memory while the wallpaper/daydream is not visible, the memory occupied by the app will automagically be released and repurposed.
Disk usage just keeps growing. Why can't I configure any limit ?
The built-in cache limit is around 256 MB - I've never seen it actually reach that limit before cleaning itself up, though.
Can the cached images be put somewhere else, like on my sd card ?
No, they cannot.
Do you want a balloon ?
No, but thanks for asking.
This application is completely dependent on the availability of 500px and its APIs. 500px can remove the APIs or revoke this application's API keys at any time. This will cause the application to stop working.
Due to 500px's API usage conditions, the application cannot cache images for longer than 24 hours. As such, if you are not connected to Wi-Fi while either charging or having a near-full battery for more than a day, the application will run out of images to display.
This application uses the 500px(tm) API and is not endorsed or certified by 500px or 500px Inc. All 500px Trademarks displayed on this application are property of 500px Inc.
No personal or private information about you is collected or transmitted by this app.
So this really isn't anything special and probably nobody cares about it. But here it is anyway.
I actually started writing something a little bit like this years ago (which was called Firepaper) which had loads of advanced options, but due to Android 2.x and the constant fighting with memory limitations, I never released anything. Then past February I thought about doing something with 500px, and wrote a lot of the code, but for some reason never finished it. This weekend I had some time to spare and didn't feel like working on any of my usual apps, and I was annoyed with the Nexus 5 wallpaper, so I finished this up (this is something I actually want for my own phone).
There's other live wallpapers and daydreams that do similar things. But due to the nature of background syncing, caching and transferring images I didn't really feel like trusting somebody else to get that right, and not drain my battery when I need it most or rake up the data charges. Not that I'm convinced I did it right, but it works for me so far
DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE
In other words, please don't post the APK elsewhere, rather just link to this thread.
2014.02.26 - v1.70
- Fixed "Transportation" category: un- and re-select it in config to fix
- Added option to clear history
- Fix a number of potential crashes that could cause black screen
- Batch together incremental image downloads
- Adjusted image download strategy if not limited to Wi-Fi. Should reduce data usage in that case.
2014.02.13 - v1.60 - RELEASE NOTES
- Added Muzei support
- Dream: hide navigation bar pre-KitKat
2013.12.15 - v1.53
- Fixed (one) possible issue where image will not refresh
- Fixed issue with In App Purchase detection (again)
2013.12.14 - v1.51
- Fixed some categories not working (if you have this problem, use "Clear cache" option)
- Fixed issue with In App Purchase detection
- Changed nag frequency to at most once a day
2013.12.13 - v1.50
- Added blur option
- Added oversaturate option
- Added history browser
- Added setup wizard
- Added donation
- Fixed another black bar issue
- Fixed some spelling errors
- Current image now survives restarts (rotation on some launchers, reboot)
- Parallax disabled by default
2013.11.20 - v1.20
- Fix possible crash at normal daydream exit
- Fix freeze at power cord pull while daydreaming
- Changed triple tap algorithm - no longer pops up during fast swiping
- Triple tap to open 500px is now optional
- Loading a new image on rotation is now optional
- Added option to refresh image each time the home screen is shown
2013.11.18 - v1.12
- Fix crash on startup - if still happening: Settings->Apps->500 Firepaper->Clear data
2013.11.18 - v1.11
- NOTE: UPDATING WILL CLEAR CACHE
- Triple tap opens 500px
- Added NSFW switch
- Longer refresh intervals for LWP
- Fixed a scaling bug that could cause horrible pixelation
- Change to interval settings now active immediately instead of at next image
- Fixed miscalculation that could cause black bars
2013.11.12 - v1.04
- Evermore crash fixes
- Optimized away some redundant drawing operations
- Fixed some rendering issues
- More aggressive memory management (reduce memory use when device low on memory)
2013.11.12 - v1.03
- Fixed some more crashes
- Fixed some spelling errors
- Added option to disable parallax effect
2013.11.11 - v1.02
- Fixed some crashes
- Fixed some issues with daydream on S4/Note3
In recent months, we have talked about various devices getting official and unofficial KitKat … more
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?