Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Polaroid A8 8inch Tablet 1GHZ dual core Specs and Roms????

OP heybrowtf

11th November 2013, 07:43 PM   |  #1  
heybrowtf's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Flag albuquerque
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Hey Guys i just got this Tablet yesterday and updated the firmware to the most current version in order to have Google play acess and other gapps. But this thing runs really bad... like it hangs up ALL the time you can barley open chrome and itll freeze up.. but i know its capabilities and want to put a Custom Rom on it like maybe CM10 or AOKP Rom. Im just not sure how to determine which ones are right for this product due to the fact i really cant find alot of info on exact specs and i dont want to brick it.

Any and all help would be great!! Thanks


OK so I have to get off the PC for a moment but ill post the specs i can find asap lol
12th November 2013, 03:35 PM   |  #2  
heybrowtf's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Flag albuquerque
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
So.... Yeah, one last thing before we go further... I don't want to brick this, but this was free and I don't mind taking the risks to test this puppy out

Sent from my A/S8 using xda app-developers app
29th November 2013, 04:19 AM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
17 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
just got the same tablet
been trying all day just to root it. 2 different computers. cant seem to get adb drivers installed on the pcs, although it came with a pheonix suite program. i can see the device, however one click root and srs root says device isn't connected. any ideas


Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrowtf

Hey Guys i just got this Tablet yesterday and updated the firmware to the most current version in order to have Google play acess and other gapps. But this thing runs really bad... like it hangs up ALL the time you can barley open chrome and itll freeze up.. but i know its capabilities and want to put a Custom Rom on it like maybe CM10 or AOKP Rom. Im just not sure how to determine which ones are right for this product due to the fact i really cant find alot of info on exact specs and i dont want to brick it.

Any and all help would be great!! Thanks


OK so I have to get off the PC for a moment but ill post the specs i can find asap lol

30th December 2013, 03:34 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Gingerbread Shed!!! With an Incredible JellyBean 2
Thanks Meter: 21
 
187 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Cool Polaroid A8 8" Tablet FULL ROOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrowtf

So.... Yeah, one last thing before we go further... I don't want to brick this, but this was free and I don't mind taking the risks to test this puppy out

Sent from my A/S8 using xda app-developers app

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrowtf

Hey Guys i just got this Tablet yesterday and updated the firmware to the most current version in order to have Google play acess and other gapps. But this thing runs really bad... like it hangs up ALL the time you can barley open chrome and itll freeze up.. but i know its capabilities and want to put a Custom Rom on it like maybe CM10 or AOKP Rom. Im just not sure how to determine which ones are right for this product due to the fact i really cant find alot of info on exact specs and i dont want to brick it.

Any and all help would be great!! Thanks


OK so I have to get off the PC for a moment but ill post the specs i can find asap lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtimmyd

been trying all day just to root it. 2 different computers. cant seem to get adb drivers installed on the pcs, although it came with a pheonix suite program. i can see the device, however one click root and srs root says device isn't connected. any ideas

I just recently picked this up from walgreens $94.15 out the door.
It came with root access, I got it home popped in a SD card that I had SuperSU and Root Explorer on, allow unknown sources was already checked so I used the native file manager and tried to install SuperSU, it installed, I opened it it asked to update the binary I said ok it said success, so I went back and installed Root Explorer opened it it asked for Superuser permissions I said yes and Voila! FULL ROOT. I then called southerntelecom to ask about the firmware update to support google play and what not; if it would revoke Super User permissions like most firmware updates do. I could tell that they didn't really want to give me a straight answer, was told they couldn't answer, that they weren't sure if it would or not, (how could they not know? ) I was even put on hold a couple of times, I was eventually told that someone in tech support was going to install the update on one of the tablets they had there and they would call me back and have an answer for me. That was on a Friday, and believe it or not, Monday afternoon they called me back But they still really didn't have an answer for me, said that tech support didn't get a chance to do an install to check .
But anyhoo what I WAS able to find out, was that, supposedly, every thing needed to support google was already installed, just missing the google APK's because of licensing, kinda like CM. So time to do some investigating. I took a jelly bean gapps package (I think it was for 4.2.3 cause google ears was in it) and started comparing; and what I found was it did seam to have all the needed underlaying google framework support files except for com.google.android.media.effects.jar, Facelock.apk, Phonesky.apk/aka playstore, and of course the regular google apps that you can download from the playstore. I of course had everything extracted out of the gapps.zip file and I just dropped them into their respective places and folders, set permissions and ownership, deleted dalvic cache and cache and rebooted and waited..........aaaannndddddddd BAM!
I now have an 8" tablet with full Root SuperUser capabilities, 1ghz dualcore processer (overclocked with set cpu,) 1GB/DDR3 ram, Dual cameras, WI-FI,(look's like it also has support for a 3g dongle), Bluetooth, HDMI out and fully supports google play store and whatnot.
I cant complain, pretty pleased with it actually, it's fast, and seems to have decent battery life and I also now have init.d support on it. There's a few more tweaks I would like to do to it yet like expanding the 4gb internal storage with the 32gb external SD card; ideally I would like to seamlessly merge the two so the tablet would see just one 36gb storage place for all apps and whatnot but I think I'm hoping for too much on that one
Last edited by JRngln; 30th December 2013 at 03:41 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes