FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Mobogenie_1501.apk downloads by itself

878 posts
Thanks Meter: 72
 
By bat0nas, Senior Member on 12th November 2013, 06:46 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi,

After I reflashed android ROM to stock 4.3, rooted, restored my apps with TiBackup (done that process thousands of times) something strange happened.

Now from time to time file Mobogenie_1501.apk downloads by itself. I didn't open it (just in case). I delete it from downloads folder and after a day it downloads again (I can see that in notifications).

I didn't install anything unusuall except http://download.chainfire.eu/351/Sup...erSU-v1.65.zip. Everything else - the stuff from Google Play I used for ages.

What is this Mobogenie_1501.apk?
The Following User Says Thank You to bat0nas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
13th November 2013, 12:55 PM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bat0nas

Hi,

After I reflashed android ROM to stock 4.3, rooted, restored my apps with TiBackup (done that process thousands of times) something strange happened.

Now from time to time file Mobogenie_1501.apk downloads by itself. I didn't open it (just in case). I delete it from downloads folder and after a day it downloads again (I can see that in notifications).

I didn't install anything unusuall except http://download.chainfire.eu/351/Sup...erSU-v1.65.zip. Everything else - the stuff from Google Play I used for ages.

What is this Mobogenie_1501.apk?

Same here! Hope someone can explaint what is this file!
13th November 2013, 01:22 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Lajeado
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Me too...

I saved the link to the apk.

For developers to check... DO NOT INSTALL. Since we are not shure what the F@#$ it is.

13th November 2013, 01:25 PM |#4  
xsenman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Philippines
Thanks Meter: 2,300
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bat0nas

What is this Mobogenie_1501.apk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elixir.

Same here! Hope someone can explaint what is this file!

http://www.mobogenie.com/ is actually a PC manager but not sure what this app is meant for ( could be a market app like this or malware, so just use settings > applications> untick unknow sources and go into manage applications ( look under downloaded or third party ) to uninstall it.

13th November 2013, 10:24 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsenman

http://www.mobogenie.com/ is actually a PC manager but not sure what this app is meant for ( could be a market app like this or malware, so just use settings > applications> untick unknow sources and go into manage applications ( look under downloaded or third party ) to uninstall it.

I also have this problem. It also appers on normal chrome (if you change user-agent to Android). The prompt to download only appers on one site (spidersweb.pl). I checked most files of this site and it appears to be ok.
13th November 2013, 10:32 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag Lajeado
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmiak

I also have this problem. It also appers on normal chrome (if you change user-agent to Android). The prompt to download only appers on one site (spidersweb.pl). I checked most files of this site and it appears to be ok.

The last three times I got it were twice while using flipboard (on android central and space.com articles) and the last while opening sammobile.com... Seems pretty random.

Sent from my phone using the "Send" button.
14th November 2013, 06:29 AM |#7  
Junior Member
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
I got it while trying to open xda developers website on mobile Chrome. something fishy is going on.
14th November 2013, 12:34 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Info 2 Malware?
Same problem here guys, seems to happen with any website randomly. Seems like some kinda adware/malware unrelated to the actual mobogenie. Can't recall doing anything in particular that I can pin down to when this started, then again I'm always fiddling... I just delete it every time it downloads. Would really like to get this cleared up. Don't mind trying to figure it out myself, but don't know where to start. Would welcome suggestions.
14th November 2013, 12:41 PM |#9  
xsenman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Philippines
Thanks Meter: 2,300
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipswitch5point

Same problem here guys, seems to happen with any website randomly. Seems like some kinda adware/malware unrelated to the actual mobogenie. Can't recall doing anything in particular that I can pin down to when this started, then again I'm always fiddling... I just delete it every time it downloads. Would really like to get this cleared up. Don't mind trying to figure it out myself, but don't know where to start. Would welcome suggestions.

install anti virus / malware apps to trace where its embedded and delete or clear data/cache of that app

14th November 2013, 12:53 PM |#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
After some testing it looks like it's in some way linked to AdSense. After disabling it the popups stoped.

Can someone who have a website with adsense and this download prompt verify this?
14th November 2013, 01:11 PM |#11  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsenman

install anti virus / malware apps to trace where its embedded and delete or clear data/cache of that app

Have avast installed since forever, how do I go about tracing?

Is that link (Links to useful Guides...) your sig? It takes me to a page that seems unrelated.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes