Mobogenie_1501.apk downloads by itself

Search This thread

bat0nas

Feb 23, 2009
Vilnius
Hi,

After I reflashed android ROM to stock 4.3, rooted, restored my apps with TiBackup (done that process thousands of times) something strange happened.

Now from time to time file Mobogenie_1501.apk downloads by itself. I didn't open it (just in case). I delete it from downloads folder and after a day it downloads again (I can see that in notifications).

I didn't install anything unusuall except http://download.chainfire.eu/351/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip. Everything else - the stuff from Google Play I used for ages.

What is this Mobogenie_1501.apk?

Reactions: myself11

elixir.

Aug 24, 2012
Hi,

After I reflashed android ROM to stock 4.3, rooted, restored my apps with TiBackup (done that process thousands of times) something strange happened.

Now from time to time file Mobogenie_1501.apk downloads by itself. I didn't open it (just in case). I delete it from downloads folder and after a day it downloads again (I can see that in notifications).

I didn't install anything unusuall except http://download.chainfire.eu/351/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip. Everything else - the stuff from Google Play I used for ages.

Same here! Hope someone can explaint what is this file!

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines

Same here! Hope someone can explaint what is this file!

http://www.mobogenie.com/ is actually a PC manager but not sure what this app is meant for ( could be a market app like this or malware, so just use settings > applications> untick unknow sources and go into manage applications ( look under downloaded or third party ) to uninstall it.

palmiak

Nov 13, 2013
http://www.mobogenie.com/ is actually a PC manager but not sure what this app is meant for ( could be a market app like this or malware, so just use settings > applications> untick unknow sources and go into manage applications ( look under downloaded or third party ) to uninstall it.

I also have this problem. It also appers on normal chrome (if you change user-agent to Android). The prompt to download only appers on one site (spidersweb.pl). I checked most files of this site and it appears to be ok.

lucalunardi

Mar 13, 2013
Lajeado
I also have this problem. It also appers on normal chrome (if you change user-agent to Android). The prompt to download only appers on one site (spidersweb.pl). I checked most files of this site and it appears to be ok.

The last three times I got it were twice while using flipboard (on android central and space.com articles) and the last while opening sammobile.com... Seems pretty random.

Sent from my phone using the "Send" button.

Mar 14, 2013
Malware?

Same problem here guys, seems to happen with any website randomly. Seems like some kinda adware/malware unrelated to the actual mobogenie. Can't recall doing anything in particular that I can pin down to when this started, then again I'm always fiddling... I just delete it every time it downloads. Would really like to get this cleared up. Don't mind trying to figure it out myself, but don't know where to start. Would welcome suggestions.

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
Same problem here guys, seems to happen with any website randomly. Seems like some kinda adware/malware unrelated to the actual mobogenie. Can't recall doing anything in particular that I can pin down to when this started, then again I'm always fiddling... I just delete it every time it downloads. Would really like to get this cleared up. Don't mind trying to figure it out myself, but don't know where to start. Would welcome suggestions.

install anti virus / malware apps to trace where its embedded and delete or clear data/cache of that app

palmiak

Nov 13, 2013
After some testing it looks like it's in some way linked to AdSense. After disabling it the popups stoped.

Can someone who have a website with adsense and this download prompt verify this?

Mar 14, 2013

bat0nas

Feb 23, 2009
Vilnius
After some testing it looks like it's in some way linked to AdSense. After disabling it the popups stoped.

Can someone who have a website with adsense and this download prompt verify this?

Could you provide a web address example with adsense? Coz I'm not sure I know such.
Or do you believe that this is related to a particular ad being displayed while opening the web page?

bat0nas

Feb 23, 2009
Vilnius
Have avast installed since forever, how do I go about tracing?

Is that link (Links to useful Guides...) your sig? It takes me to a page that seems unrelated.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

I do have avast as well.
And I don't believe antivirus is capable of telling me that app some app initiated file download. Almost all apps have access to network and can initiate file downloads.

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
Have avast installed since forever, how do I go about tracing?

Is that link (Links to useful Guides...) your sig? It takes me to a page that seems unrelated.

if you a have avast try run a full scan, to see what it detects, you can also install other apps to see what they detect ( had a similar problem ( always getting full screen ads) some time back which was related to candy crush app. and yes sig is mine , half related to android and the other half documentaries.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

I do have avast as well.
And I don't believe antivirus is capable of telling me that app some app initiated file download. Almost all apps have access to network and can initiate file downloads.

you need to install a number of malware apps, they will give different results as what may be the problem. Once traced, you can uninstall them.

palmiak

Nov 13, 2013
Could you provide a web address example with adsense? Coz I'm not sure I know such.
Or do you believe that this is related to a particular ad being displayed while opening the web page?

Take a look on spidersweb.pl - but not on main pages or archives but on single pages. On mobile devices ads have display:none, so you won't see them. Still the download prompt should appear after some tries.

Also xda uses google ads and someone wrote that he got this prompt here.

bat0nas

Feb 23, 2009
Vilnius
Candy crush? This is the app I installed recently. And this is the only thing I did differently than normally.

Lets try to uninstall it.

Mar 14, 2013
Any luck? I don't have candy crush or any other apps from King . com as listed on Google play.

Mar 14, 2013
Screenshot! uploadfromtaptalk1384450057447.jpg

lucalunardi

Mar 13, 2013
Lajeado
I cleared all caches (all apps cache, cache partition and dalvik) and so far had got no download prompt for it. Not sure this is actually related but may work. I think it wont hurt trying for yourselves and giving feedback here.

Edit: Nevermind. Just got it again while browsing android police through Flipboard. Looks like something sniffing the network or some kind of push service.

Did any of you notice of it happened on 3G or only Wi-Fi??

Edit 2: Happens on both.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

some other symptoms associated to mobogenie_1501.apk download

I've noticed that since this persistent download has started on my Galaxy s4 there's also another strange thing. The phone is slower, the system crashed several times and the process com.google.process.gapps is often reported as blocked. I've found it under Google Services in Application Manager/Active at the bottom as one of the processes.

Does it help?
    Hi,

I didn't install anything unusuall except [had to remove it] Everything else - the stuff from Google Play I used for ages.

Hi bat0nas and every one here,
    I work for Mobogenie.com
    we really apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, We have noticed that some users are getting Pop-up for Downloading Mobogenie in many websites and other sources, We found that there was some technical issues happened from our promotional partner and we are trying to fix the issue at the earliest. Thanks for your feedback…!
    If you face any other issue regarding to Mobogenie then Report us those spamming websites to support@mobogenie . com

Our official website is www . mobogenie . com

Regards

Team Mobogenie
    It showed up randomly for me. I got it while browsing a bunch of sites such as Xda, android police, nasa, space.com and some others. I got the download request even while browsing through Flipboard.

As you can see in the previous posts others report a bunch of other sites too.

I stopped receiving the download request after I deactivated all personalized ads from my google account ( and deactivated the RootPA.apk on my system

I'm not sure wich solved the issue but I sorted it out myself long before you guys show up here...

Thank you very much Lucalunardi this information will really help. and as per me i think Deactivating the personalized ads may have done the trick for you. Because its just the ads that are causing this.

Thanks once again Lucalunardi

Regards

Team Mobogenie
    Looks like a great way to promote your app ;) And then: oh sorry it's an accident :D