Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,011 Members 47,842 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Firmware][Guide][Q&A] FIRMWARE MIRROR / OTA & ROOT GUIDE / TECHNICAL Q&A

Tip us?

DutchDogg54
Old
(Last edited by DutchDogg54; 29th May 2014 at 09:32 PM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1,787

DONATE TO ME
Default [Firmware][Guide][Q&A] FIRMWARE MIRROR / OTA & ROOT GUIDE / TECHNICAL Q&A

WELCOME TO THE VERIZON NOTE 3
FIRMWARE MIRROR *** GUIDE FOR ROOTING, USING ODIN & UPDATING TO THE LATEST OTA *** TECHNICAL Q&A

FILE MIRRORS

DO NOT POST DIRECT LINKS TO THESE FILES OR EXTRACT ANY EXCERPTS OF MY GUIDE FOR YOUR THREAD, WEBSITE OR ANY OTHER SOURCE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION & APPROPRIATE CREDIT LISTED.
ALL LINKS SHOULD LEAD TO THIS THREAD, NOT THE FILES THEMSELVES. THANK YOU!

****STOCK + ROOTED 4.4.2 KITKAT NC2 LEAKS****
DEODEXED NC2 TAR: hltevzw_root_deodex_nc2.zip
md5: ef9678c763e4134891fce4d969777070
ODEXED NC2 TAR: hltevzw_root_odex_nc2.zip
md5: 45f5af29a40338dccbf41d268dc588d0
4.4.2 REQUIRED FIRMWARE TAR (MODEM, KERNEL, BOOTLOADER): n900v_kk_firmware.tar.md5.zip
md5: 6220e423f0d4b3b5549b60a266535943
MODEM ONLY - NOT NEEDED FOR TRANSITION TO 4.4.2 - INCLUDED WITH FIRMWARE LINK ABOVE:NC2_modem_kk.tar.md5.zip
md5: ca94ad3798dee51a171b05f3fda2c92f
MODEM ONLY - NOT NEEDED FOR TRANSITION TO 4.4.2 - THIS IS THE "OFFICIAL RELEASE" NC4 MODEM:NC4_modem_kk.tar.zip
md5: 8db691efa28f69e3fd3f4eef79ba7718
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________

****HOW TO UPGRADE TO LEAKED 4.4.2 KITKAT BUILD****

The files above are a very special leaked build of 4.4.2 KitKat for our Verizon Note 3. @Hashcode has explained this very well here - do read it and recognize how neat this opportunity is for us.

That being said, there are some special instructions for utilizing this leak. They are pretty simple and require no special tools or procedures most people around here haven't already used at some point, see below.

1) Start from any Rooted 4.3 MJE Rom (including Stock) with Safestrap 3.65 installed
2) Make any necessary Titanium Backups, etc
3) Reboot to SafeStrap Recovery - I'd recommend making a backup of your 4.3 setup at this point, just in case.
4) Wipe Data & Caches - This is the wipe that is queued up for you immediately upon entering wipe menu in SS - When finished hit "home" button in SS
5) Click Install and flash either the Deodex or Odexed version of the NC2 4.4.2 leak linked above
6) DO NOT CLICK REBOOT SYSTEM WHEN FINISHED - Instead, hit the "home" button in SS and click the main menu Reboot option.
7) Click Reboot to Download mode & follow typical Odin procedure (instructions below) to flash the 4.4.2 Firmware tar linked above (you'll need to extract this on your PC before Odin will recognize it).
8) Boot into Stock 4.4.2 and download Safestrap 3.72 built specifically for KitKat
9) Boot to SS 3.72 - I'd recommend making a backup at this point as well
10) Click thanks over on Beans thread and Hashcode's SafeStrap thread & ENJOY!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

****STOCK 4.3 TAR FILES****
*LATEST OFFICIAL* MJE TAR: ALL_N900VVRUBMJE_N900VVZWMJE_2106277_REV03_user_lo w_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
md5: b7353fdaba01f459930e791e03e39d25
*OLD* MJ7 TAR: N900VVRUBMJ7_N900VVZWMJ7_N900VVRUBMJ7_HOME.tar.md5
md5: c68c3f991c6ff6c651f4de1a5bd7c5e2
*OLD* MI9 TAR: ALL_N900VVRUBMI9_N900VVZWMI9_1671014_REV03_user_lo w_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
md5: 967a7af6ca05d79c64cab36865b437bc

****MODEM TAR FILES - AGE ORDER, NEWEST FIRST****
NC4_modem_kk.tar.zip
md5: 8db691efa28f69e3fd3f4eef79ba7718
NC2_modem_kk.tar.md5.zip
md5: ca94ad3798dee51a171b05f3fda2c92f
MJE_MODEM.TAR.MD5
md5: ceef4f3793ea3e252e22d474662e45fd
MJ7_MODEM.TAR.MD5
md5: 209bb7250e784f61c1374ffdc5eed45b
MI9_MODEM.TAR.MD5
md5: 93e2a05ee5728b2f23b76110e71f4b0c

****HANDY FILES****
Kingo version 1.1.2 (Still works to root MJE or older)
md5: 7ead653b174532896523648d945c6b9b
Odin v3.09 - ALL NEEDED FEATURES ENABLED (AP, CP, ETC.)
md5: 9a563d49b8e7bb659ed23e6b4ab15310
SuperSU Zip v1.91
md5: f8ff8a15aea0fa196366d8bfb102d990
KIES3SETUP.EXE - SAMSUNG SOFTWARE TOOL
md5: f904aea2544df0d9bc37acad4d3c76e0
Samsung PC Drivers
md5: f7668f85ec75c0016e7d8362a0b907ec
MD5 Check Software
md5: e5a1a4a431c25a1d8b2428066487fc45
7-Zip Archiving Software (For Use with Zip Files)

UPDATE TO LATEST OTA (MJE)

METHOD 1 - BACK TO MJ7 & ACCEPT OTA:

Requirements:
MJ7 Tar File
Latest Odin (currently v3.09)
Samsung Drivers
PC & USB to Micro USB Cable

1) Download and MD5 check the Tar file above.

2) Power down your device. Once fully off, HOLD POWER, HOME & VOLUME DOWN BUTTONS. A screen will appear with a warning about custom operating systems - press VOLUME UP to continue to download / odin mode

3) Plug your device into the PC & wait for Odin to show a "com" box with a number in the upper left corner of the window. Put the tar file above into the "AP" slot of Odin and wait for the "Start" button in Odin to be enabled. It could take a minute or two for Odin to read the tar file - it's a couple gigs, which is large - be patient. Once it's ready, click start and it will install a clean, unrooted MJ7 stock OTA firmware.

4) Once on this firmware you can navigate to Software Update via Menu > Settings > About Phone > Software Update. Once you've tapped this you'll see an option to either check for updates or download now/later. Select whichever option you have to update and wait for the file to download. You'll then be prompted to install now or wait. Install and it will automatically take over and install the latest OTA Firmware build ending in MJE. This will install the latest software, firmware, modem and kernel. As always with Odin, most likely you will lose all your data. Some have reported that their data was intact - I have no explanation for this as Odin is supposed to wipe your device during the flashing process - PREPARE AS IF DATA WILL BE LOST.

METHOD 2 - STRAIGHT TO MJE:

Requirements:
MJE Tar File
Latest Odin (currently v3.09)
Samsung Drivers
Archiving Software (i.e. 7zip)
PC & USB to Micro USB Cable

1) Download and MD5 check the Zipped Tar file above.

2) Navigate to the MJE file on your PC. Right click it and hover over "7-Zip," on the pop-out menu select "Extract Here." (Nearly any archiving software will appear in this right-click menu) It will decompress the tar file we need and you'll be ready to continue. This process will not work until you've decompressed the zip file!

3) Power down your device. Once fully off, HOLD POWER, HOME & VOLUME DOWN BUTTONS. A screen will appear with a warning about custom operating systems - press VOLUME UP to continue to download / odin mode

4) Plug your device into the PC & wait for Odin to show a "com" box with a number in the upper left corner of the window. Put the tar file above into the "AP" slot of Odin and wait for the "Start" button in Odin to be enabled. It could take a minute or two for Odin to read the tar file - it's a couple gigs, which is large - be patient. Once it's ready, click start and it will install a clean, unrooted MJE stock OTA firmware. As always with Odin, most likely you will lose all your data. Some have reported that their data was intact - I have no explanation for this as Odin is supposed to wipe your device during the flashing process - PREPARE AS IF DATA WILL BE LOST.

HOW TO ROOT

****DISCLAIMER: PROCEEDING & ROOTING YOUR DEVICE IS YOUR CHOICE - USING THE FOLLOWING ROOT TECHNIQUE IS, AS ALWAYS, AT YOUR OWN RISK - FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND YOU'LL BE FINE.****

There are two known methods to root MJ7 & MJE. I will not discuss how to root MI9 because there's no benefit whatsoever to remaining on that original build. Nothing was lost moving to MJ7 or MJE so if you want to be rooted I'd recommend moving on up to a later build.

Both Root methods are essentially "One-Click" applications produced by people or companies not using XDA as their methods of distribution. They are very simple and easy to use tools that are installed on your PC and guide you step-by-step through the process via the computer program. The one I recommend using is called "Kingo." There is also one called "vRoot" but, since I have no experience using it nor have any data on others successfully using it, I'll always recommend Kingo. Because they don't post these to XDA, I cannot post links to the source files. This is at the moderators and administrators of XDA's request. DON'T ask for the direct link(s) and NO posting them - they will be flagged down and moderators will haunt your dreams.

Once you've downloaded the files...Google is your friend ...install them and run them. They will ask for your phone to be connected - use the same USB to Micro USB cable as you used before - it should be a reliable one, as well as a reliable port on your PC. Watch the PC screen and the Device screen - there will be a few times you need to either wake the device or accept something on the device screen to progress - don't take a nap during this process. Sometimes it can take a while to download the files needed, other times it's a 5 minute process. YMMV

HOW TO ADD A CUSTOM RECOVERY

A logical next step after rooting is to add a custom recovery. Currently the Verizon Note 3 has a locked bootloader - this is bad news. It means we have no true custom recoveries available. There is nothing you can do about this, short of becoming extremely proficient in hacking enterprise level encryption overnight. Godspeed in this endeavor.

We have been blessed though - @Hashcode has worked his magic and enabled "Safestrap" a form of "Bootstrap" recovery which is, as the name implies, more reliable and, well, safer. This is a very stable and viable replacement for a typical custom recovery. In fact, it's based on one of the most popular recoveries - Team Win Recovery Project, or TWRP for short.

Head over here [RECOVERY LOCKED/MI9,MJ7,MJE] Safestrap Recovery v3.71 [2013-12-27 BETA] to grab the latest APK and read the install instructions in the OP there CAREFULLY. This is not a foolproof tool and you are taking the same kind of risks as you took rooting your device. See appropriate disclaimers in Hashcode's thread. That being said, it's worked flawlessly for nearly everybody involved and word of "bricks" (or permanently damaged devices) for the Note 3 is basically nill - so stop worrying, follow directions and enjoy! I'd recommend version 3.65 currently as it has no reported problems.

There are STABLE and BETA versions as of this writing (12.19.13) so choose carefully based on what you need and the offerings of each. I'd recommend stable if you don't know which to choose for obvious reasons. It will do all you need for now, and the beta will surely be designated stable soon enough at which time you can update and enjoy.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

This is a GUIDE & Q&A thread so I am totally open to fielding questions about this or any other process of a technical nature regarding the Verizon Note 3. Please keep the chatter to a minimum and discussion of apps, themes, preferences, etc. in their appropriate places. Looking forward to helping!
The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to DutchDogg54 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WilliamSchfr
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thumbs up firmware mirror

thanks for doing this!!! The other one was super slow.... DL now and ill let you know if it fixes my problem! THANKS!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to WilliamSchfr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nidisa
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Does this method work IF:

I am rooted via root de la vega, running latest safestrap, beans v2 on Rom slot 1.
Baseband ver MI9
Build number MJ7

Would I have to uninstall anything to use your instructions OP?
Would I need to switch in safestrap to stock slot before beginning process?

Honestly haven't had a lick of trouble being on M19 baseband, but maybe I'm on borrowed time?

DutchDogg54
Old
(Last edited by DutchDogg54; 16th November 2013 at 12:13 AM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1,787

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidisa View Post
Does this method work IF:

I am rooted via root de la vega, running latest safestrap, beans v2 on Rom slot 1.
Baseband ver MI9
Build number MJ7

Would I have to uninstall anything to use your instructions OP?
Would I need to switch in safestrap to stock slot before beginning process?

Honestly haven't had a lick of trouble being on M19 baseband, but maybe I'm on borrowed time?
If you're already on build MJ7 then I'd just Odin the MJ7 baseband over in beans thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2524572 No need to do this which will lose you root.

Transmission courtesy of my Note 3 & XDA Premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DutchDogg54 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

droidstyle
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,365

DONATE TO ME
Why wouldnt you just flash Beans Stock J7 rom in SS recovery then Odin the J7 modem? The only need to use Odin would be for returning to stock or fixing a soft brick.
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Note III Dev. Edition
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S Fascinate GUIDE
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note III GUIDE

DutchDogg54
Old
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1,787

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle View Post
Why wouldnt you just flash Beans Stock J7 rom in SS recovery then Odin the J7 modem? The only need to use Odin would be for returning to stock or fixing a soft brick.
But flashing that rom wouldn't change his baseband which is what he's after. That's why I said to Odin the modem

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DutchDogg54 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nidisa
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDogg54 View Post
But flashing that rom wouldn't change his baseband which is what he's after. That's why I said to Odin the modem

Thanks, DutchDogg, for the response!
*muah* from Nidisa....a her !

jgrimberg1979
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle View Post
I would image that there are some firmware updates that you wouldn't be able to get if you just flashed the modem. I have not looked at the update package so I may be wrong about the firmware updates

droidstyle
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,365

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDogg54 View Post

I am talking about in regards to this tutorial.
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Note III Dev. Edition
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S Fascinate GUIDE
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note III GUIDE

PrettyPistol555
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Am I correct in assuming that if it goes as planned I should not lose any data?
I see nothing about that in the OP, but I'm extra cautious without my nandroid security blanket...

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Galaxy Note 3 (VZW)
Galaxy NEXUS (VZW) CM10.2 (nightlies)
NEXUS 7
LG G2X (CM7)(T-Mobile)
NexusOne(ICS)(8GbC6)(T-Mobile)
Motorola Droid (OG) (CM?) (Daughters toy)
G1(CM6.1.1magpie+RA1.07
Mt3g - bricked(may it rest in peace)
BJII WM6.1 (AT&T)
SE W580i
SE W600i
SE T610
LGCU500
Palm TX

Tags
guide, mirror, modem, q&a, tar