FIRMWARE MIRROR *** GUIDE FOR ROOTING, USING ODIN & UPDATING TO THE LATEST OTA *** TECHNICAL Q&A
DO NOT POST DIRECT LINKS TO THESE FILES OR EXTRACT ANY EXCERPTS OF MY GUIDE FOR YOUR THREAD, WEBSITE OR ANY OTHER SOURCE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION & APPROPRIATE CREDIT LISTED.
ALL LINKS SHOULD LEAD TO THIS THREAD, NOT THE FILES THEMSELVES. THANK YOU!
****STOCK + ROOTED 4.4.2 KITKAT NC2 LEAKS****
NC2 KERNEL: nc2kernel.tar.md5.zip
DEODEXED NC2 TAR: hltevzw_root_deodex_nc2.zip
ODEXED NC2 TAR: hltevzw_root_odex_nc2.zip
4.4.2 REQUIRED FIRMWARE TAR (MODEM, KERNEL, BOOTLOADER): n900v_kk_firmware.tar.md5.zip
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
****HOW TO UPGRADE TO LEAKED 4.4.2 KITKAT BUILD****
The files above are a very special leaked build of 4.4.2 KitKat for our Verizon Note 3. @Hashcode has explained this very well here - do read it and recognize how neat this opportunity is for us.
That being said, there are some special instructions for utilizing this leak. They are pretty simple and require no special tools or procedures most people around here haven't already used at some point, see below.
1) Start from any Rooted 4.3 MJE Rom (including Stock) with Safestrap 3.65 installed
2) Make any necessary Titanium Backups, etc
3) Reboot to SafeStrap Recovery - I'd recommend making a backup of your 4.3 setup at this point, just in case.
4) Wipe Data & Caches - This is the wipe that is queued up for you immediately upon entering wipe menu in SS - When finished hit "home" button in SS
5) Click Install and flash either the Deodex or Odexed version of the NC2 4.4.2 leak linked above
6) DO NOT CLICK REBOOT SYSTEM WHEN FINISHED - Instead, hit the "home" button in SS and click the main menu Reboot option.
7) Click Reboot to Download mode & follow typical Odin procedure (instructions below) to flash the 4.4.2 Firmware tar linked above (you'll need to extract this on your PC before Odin will recognize it).
8) Boot into Stock 4.4.2 and download Safestrap 3.72 built specifically for KitKat
9) Boot to SS 3.72 - I'd recommend making a backup at this point as well
10) Click thanks over on Beans thread and Hashcode's SafeStrap thread & ENJOY!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________
****STOCK 4.3 TAR FILES****
*LATEST OFFICIAL* MJE TAR: ALL_N900VVRUBMJE_N900VVZWMJE_2106277_REV03_user_lo w_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
*OLD* MJ7 TAR: N900VVRUBMJ7_N900VVZWMJ7_N900VVRUBMJ7_HOME.tar.md5
*OLD* MI9 TAR: ALL_N900VVRUBMI9_N900VVZWMI9_1671014_REV03_user_lo w_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
****MODEM TAR FILES - AGE ORDER, NEWEST FIRST****
Kingo version 1.1.2 (Still works to root MJE or older)
Odin v3.09 - ALL NEEDED FEATURES ENABLED (AP, CP, ETC.)
SuperSU Zip v1.91
KIES3SETUP.EXE - SAMSUNG SOFTWARE TOOL
Samsung PC Drivers
MD5 Check Software
7-Zip Archiving Software (For Use with Zip Files)
***OLD INFO***UPDATE TO LATEST OTA (MJE) ***OLD INFO***
MJ7 Tar File
Latest Odin (currently v3.09)
PC & USB to Micro USB Cable
1) Download and MD5 check the Tar file above.
2) Power down your device. Once fully off, HOLD POWER, HOME & VOLUME DOWN BUTTONS. A screen will appear with a warning about custom operating systems - press VOLUME UP to continue to download / odin mode
3) Plug your device into the PC & wait for Odin to show a "com" box with a number in the upper left corner of the window. Put the tar file above into the "AP" slot of Odin and wait for the "Start" button in Odin to be enabled. It could take a minute or two for Odin to read the tar file - it's a couple gigs, which is large - be patient. Once it's ready, click start and it will install a clean, unrooted MJ7 stock OTA firmware.
4) Once on this firmware you can navigate to Software Update via Menu > Settings > About Phone > Software Update. Once you've tapped this you'll see an option to either check for updates or download now/later. Select whichever option you have to update and wait for the file to download. You'll then be prompted to install now or wait. Install and it will automatically take over and install the latest OTA Firmware build ending in MJE. This will install the latest software, firmware, modem and kernel. As always with Odin, most likely you will lose all your data. Some have reported that their data was intact - I have no explanation for this as Odin is supposed to wipe your device during the flashing process - PREPARE AS IF DATA WILL BE LOST.
METHOD 2 - STRAIGHT TO MJE:
MJE Tar File
Latest Odin (currently v3.09)
Archiving Software (i.e. 7zip)
PC & USB to Micro USB Cable
1) Download and MD5 check the Zipped Tar file above.
2) Navigate to the MJE file on your PC. Right click it and hover over "7-Zip," on the pop-out menu select "Extract Here." (Nearly any archiving software will appear in this right-click menu) It will decompress the tar file we need and you'll be ready to continue. This process will not work until you've decompressed the zip file!
3) Power down your device. Once fully off, HOLD POWER, HOME & VOLUME DOWN BUTTONS. A screen will appear with a warning about custom operating systems - press VOLUME UP to continue to download / odin mode
4) Plug your device into the PC & wait for Odin to show a "com" box with a number in the upper left corner of the window. Put the tar file above into the "AP" slot of Odin and wait for the "Start" button in Odin to be enabled. It could take a minute or two for Odin to read the tar file - it's a couple gigs, which is large - be patient. Once it's ready, click start and it will install a clean, unrooted MJE stock OTA firmware. As always with Odin, most likely you will lose all your data. Some have reported that their data was intact - I have no explanation for this as Odin is supposed to wipe your device during the flashing process - PREPARE AS IF DATA WILL BE LOST.
****DISCLAIMER: PROCEEDING & ROOTING YOUR DEVICE IS YOUR CHOICE - USING THE FOLLOWING ROOT TECHNIQUE(S) IS, AS ALWAYS, AT YOUR OWN RISK - FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND YOU'LL BE FINE.****
****HOW TO ROOT 4.4.x KITKAT BUILDS FOR VERIZON NOTE 3****
There is an amazingly easy tool called "towel root" that is an application you install like any other side loaded app - once it's installed it's one click and you're rooted...can't ask for it to be much easier than that!
Get towel root here or Get more info here
***OLD INFO***HOW TO ROOT 4.3 JELLYBEAN BUILDS FOR VERIZON NOTE 3***OLD INFO***
Both Root methods are essentially "One-Click" applications produced by people or companies not using XDA as their methods of distribution. They are very simple and easy to use tools that are installed on your PC and guide you step-by-step through the process via the computer program. The one I recommend using is called "Kingo." There is also one called "vRoot" but, since I have no experience using it nor have any data on others successfully using it, I'll always recommend Kingo. Because they don't post these to XDA, I cannot post links to the source files. This is at the moderators and administrators of XDA's request. DON'T ask for the direct link(s) and NO posting them - they will be flagged down and moderators will haunt your dreams.
Once you've downloaded the files...Google is your friend ...install them and run them. They will ask for your phone to be connected - use the same USB to Micro USB cable as you used before - it should be a reliable one, as well as a reliable port on your PC. Watch the PC screen and the Device screen - there will be a few times you need to either wake the device or accept something on the device screen to progress - don't take a nap during this process. Sometimes it can take a while to download the files needed, other times it's a 5 minute process. YMMV
****HOW TO ADD A CUSTOM RECOVERY****
A logical next step after rooting is to add a custom recovery. Currently the Verizon Note 3 has a locked bootloader - this is bad news. It means we have no true custom recoveries available. There is nothing you can do about this, short of becoming extremely proficient in hacking enterprise level encryption overnight. Godspeed in this endeavor.
We have been blessed though - @Hashcode has worked his magic and enabled "Safestrap" a form of "Bootstrap" recovery which is, as the name implies, more reliable and, well, safer. This is a very stable and viable replacement for a typical custom recovery. In fact, it's based on one of the most popular recoveries - Team Win Recovery Project, or TWRP for short.
Head over here [RECOVERY LOCKED/MJ7,MJE,NC2,NC4] Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-26 KK B03] to grab the latest APK and read the install instructions in the OP there CAREFULLY. This is not a foolproof tool and you are taking the same kind of risks as you took rooting your device. See appropriate disclaimers in Hashcode's thread. That being said, it's worked flawlessly for nearly everybody involved and word of "bricks" (or permanently damaged devices) for the Note 3 is basically nill - so stop worrying, follow directions and enjoy!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
This is a GUIDE & Q&A thread so I am totally open to fielding questions about this or any other process of a technical nature regarding the Verizon Note 3. Please keep the chatter to a minimum and discussion of apps, themes, preferences, etc. in their appropriate places. Looking forward to helping!