[GUIDE] Genymotion | Installing ARM Translation and GApps[Updated Nov.16]

OP japzone

15th November 2013, 11:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 200

543 posts
Genymotion is a Virtual Android Environment built on x86 and Virtualbox. It's not an ARM emulator so it's performance is way better than the Android SDK Emulator. However in their latest update they've removed both ARM Translation and Google Play Apps. (This is what causes the "INSTALL_FAILED_CPU_ABI_INCOMPATIBLE" errors) Many Devs and Users still find these features very useful for various reasons and their removal has forced people to look for alternatives to Genymotion.

This guide is for getting back both ARM Translation and Google Play apps in your Genymotion VM.

ATTENTION(April 11th): Sadly Dropbox has informed me I've surpassed reasonable Bandwidth Usage and has temporarily disabled my Public Links. I don't blame them considering I've reached a steady 1400+ downloads per day, which equals an impressive 12.5+GB of bandwidth per day. Part of this is probably because people started Hot Linking my file for their guides. So for the foreseeable future I can't provide direct downloads of the ARM Translation, but I'll have plenty of Mirrors. I'm sorry to the numerous people that created Guides in numerous languages, since I have to kill the link in your Guides. Please don't hesitate to use one of my new links.

PS: I'm sorry if I haven't been very talkative and helpful lately. Work has been piling up and sleep is decreasing. Plus my computer is being "difficult". Haven't had a chance to even update Genymotion to v2.2.0. I hope I'll be able to get back into the dirt soon.

Note(Feb 2nd): Contrary to previous reports, it's been discovered that Android 4.4 does in fact work with ARM Translation, although it is buggy. Follow the steps the same as before, just make sure you download the 4.4 GApps.

UPDATE-v1.1: I've gotten more up-to-date builds of libhoudini and have updated the ZIP. This fixes a lot of app crashes and hangs. Just flash the new one and it should work.
  1. Download the following ZIPs:
  2. Next Open your Genymotion VM and go to the Homescreen
  3. Now Drag&Drop the Genymotion-ARM-Translation.zip onto the Genymotion VM window.
  4. It should say "File transfer in progress", once it asks you to flash it click 'OK'
  5. Now Reboot your VM using ADB or an app like ROM Toolbox. If nescessary you can simply close the VM window, but I don't recommend it.
  6. Once you're on the Homescreen again Drag&Drop the gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip(or whatever version you got) onto your VM, and click 'OK' when asked
  7. Once it finishes, again Reboot your VM and open the Google Play Store.
  8. Sign in using your Google account
  9. Once in the Store go to the 'My Apps' menu and let everything update(fixes a lot of issues), also try updating Google Play Services directly.
  10. Now try searching for 'Netflix' and 'Google Drive'
  11. If both apps show up in the results and you're able to Download/Install them, then congrats you now have ARM support and Google Play fully setup!
I've tested this on Genymotion v2.0.1 Using Android 4.3 images. Feel free to skip the GApps steps if you only want the ARM support. It'll work perfectly fine by itself.

If you have any problems please don't hesitate to ask for help below.

Michael Z. - Provided newer system image
taob - Provided Reference Image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Zips:(DON'T DOWNLOAD! Kept for archival purposes, unlikely to solve any issues you might have.)
ARM Translation v1.0 - http://goo.gl/CL4os6 Hosted by FILETRIP(Mirrors)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Genymotion-ARM-Translation_v1.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.96 MB, 42711 views)
Last edited by japzone; 12th April 2014 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Replaced Dropbox Links, added Status Update
The Following 79 Users Say Thank You to japzone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th November 2013, 03:33 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

543 posts
So far, seems that it's working for people. I've gotten feedback on other sites and I've only had one user report trouble installing GApps. Remember, if you have any issues let me know. I'm currently looking into problems with some Apps and Games that hang when opened.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to japzone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th November 2013, 03:43 PM   |  #3  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 3

35 posts
More
Thank you very much!

For windows, this procedure requires downloading android SDK then downloading platform tools and messing with your PATH and also installing Java (yikes).
I've searched around for the minimum adb requirements of Genymotion and I'm attaching them for anyone interested.

Just extract anywhere and tell Genymotion the folder you extracted these where it asks for the sdk path.
It includes the mini-sdk (windows-only) from androidforums.com and the aapt uploaded on xda somewhere I don't remember.
The files are in the sub-folders Genymotion expects them to be.

Hope that helps someone.
Attached Files
File Type: zip genymotion-no-java.zip - [Click for QR Code] (959.9 KB, 5082 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to ScRePt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th November 2013, 04:18 PM   |  #4  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 446

1,363 posts
Donate to Me
More
While dragging and dropping these zip files onto my VM windows, it started to show File transfer in progress but at the same moment throws an error, "An error occured while deploying a file. Process failed to start. The parameter is incorrect.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

Edit:
A reboot worked for me. Thanks for this.
Last edited by nicesoni_ash; 16th November 2013 at 04:28 PM.
16th November 2013, 04:28 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

543 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesoni_ash

While dragging and dropping these zip files onto my VM windows, it started to show File transfer in progress but at the same moment throws an error, "An error occured while deploying a file. Process failed to start. The parameter is incorrect.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

Did you define Android-SDK location in the Genymotion settings?
16th November 2013, 04:40 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

543 posts
Updated to v1.1
Thanks to the help of Michael, I was able to get more recent Libs that are much more stable. This should fix many of the hangs and crashes experienced in Games and some apps.
16th November 2013, 06:04 PM   |  #7  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 446

1,363 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by japzone

Did you define Android-SDK location in the Genymotion settings?

Yes, I did. Anyways as I said earlier by editing my post, a reboot solved my problem.
16th November 2013, 06:23 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

543 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesoni_ash

Yes, I did. Anyways as I said earlier by editing my post, a reboot solved my problem.

Glad it's working. You updated while I was replying so I didn't see it until after I post, and I couldn't delete the post.
17th November 2013, 06:48 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

28 posts
I got to the step about drag&dropping Gapps but when I do it just says it was successfully copied to the download folder. That doesn't sound right and nothing else happens after I reboot.
Last edited by philnolan3d; 17th November 2013 at 07:27 AM.
17th November 2013, 02:27 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 4

98 posts
I have ADB and set the correct path, How do I reboot using ADB?
Last edited by thecensor; 17th November 2013 at 02:33 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
arm, emulation, genymotion, translation, x86
Previous Thread Next Thread