Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,888 Members 36,245 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AWS availability, LTE speedtest

Tip us?

milan03
Old
(Last edited by milan03; 17th November 2013 at 08:31 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261
Default AWS availability, LTE speedtest

As many of you already know, Note 3 is one of a few Verizon smartphones that has a Category 4 LTE modem, capable of delivering 150Mbps download speeds. Verizon's been rolling out new LTE layer on AWS or Band 4, and in many cities like NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, to name a few users have been seeing speeds just under 100Mbps, but only using Category 3 devices like GS4, iPhone 5s, etc which are hardware limited at 100Mbps.

Since this is a Note 3 forum, it would be great to have this thread for reports on Verizon's Band 4 LTE, and especially Speedtest.net results which should be north of 100Mbps!
Similar thread exists in GS4 forums: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2502716
And a much more in depth one over at HoFo: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...te-Radio-Units

This article also talked about Verizon's 2x20Mhz AWS LTE: http://gigaom.com/2013/10/14/watch-o...-stirs-in-nyc/

On Galaxy phones it should be easy to access ServiceMode via dial codes, which will allow you to monitor the Band you're connected to, and even force the certain frequency. I don't own Note 3, but afaik Verizon usually tries to block out these codes, although there used to be an app in Play Store that would dial the codes for you (Samsung ServiceMode or Sammy codes)

*#0011# General Debug screen
*#2263# Allows you to force any frequency on your phone
*#27663368378# Main screen

There are a few other codes, please post your findings!
Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to milan03 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keennay
Old
Thanks Meter 29
That's pretty neat. Thanks for the info!

I wonder what this'll mean for Verizon customers currently grandfathered into the unlimited 4G LTE data plans and if there's any plans of discontinuing that service.

I'll have to check this out once I head back to the city.

Sent from my SM-N900V

milan03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by keennay View Post
That's pretty neat. Thanks for the info!

I wonder what this'll mean for Verizon customers currently grandfathered into the unlimited 4G LTE data plans and if there's any plans of discontinuing that service.

I'll have to check this out once I head back to the city.

Sent from my SM-N900V
Unlimited users still get to access this LTE channel with capable device like Note 3.

This is what users are seeing on GS4, but remember GS4 is capable of only 100Mbps on the downlink, so that's the limiting factor. Note 3 can push 150Mbps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 7.40.55 PM.jpg
Views:	3571
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	2396402  

NeoMagus
Old
Thanks Meter 471

DONATE TO ME
I have read conflicting reports, pretty sure its still disabled on our firmware. One guy said he tried in his AWS enabled area and it wasnt recieving it, still same speed as MI9 and others thought they might since they were seeing speeds of like 60 down.

I'm not in one of those areas and lucky to see 30 down on a good day, so I can't tell you definitively either way.
Nexus 7 16GB C8 4.4.4 / Unlocked /Rooted
Nexus 7 32GB v2 4.4.4 / Unlocked /Rooted
LTE Galaxy Nexus 32GB 4.4.4 / Unlocked /Rooted
LTE Galaxy SIII 32GB 4.4.4 CM11 / Unlocked /Rooted
LTE Galaxy Note 3 NC2 4.4.2 / Rooted

"Executing sudo command."

milan03
Old
(Last edited by milan03; 17th November 2013 at 12:48 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMagus View Post
I have read conflicting reports, pretty sure its still disabled on our firmware. One guy said he tried in his AWS enabled area and it wasnt recieving it, still same speed as MI9 and others thought they might since they were seeing speeds of like 60 down.

I'm not in one of those areas and lucky to see 30 down on a good day, so I can't tell you definitively either way.
Have you tried the Play Store apps to get into ServiceMode?
There are a few of them, I use this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mmysmode&hl=en
There seems to be a similar free one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...shortcut&hl=en

lisek99
Old
Thanks Meter 4
*#197328640# Main screen

Out of those 3 codes only *#0011# General Debug screen worked for me. Hmm are there any other additional steps I have to take to be able to access those other codes?

NeoMagus
Old
Thanks Meter 471

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
Have you tried the Play Store apps to get into ServiceMode?
No, as I said I dont live in a AWS area.

Here was the post though

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=108

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepfloyd View Post
I've confirmed it twice that it's not in the update, as we have both Tmo and VZ LTE in Band 4 here. VZ speeds stayed the same post update and my TMO Sim will only go to H+ vs my VZ-GS4 which goes up to LTE on the TMO SIM.
Nexus 7 16GB C8 4.4.4 / Unlocked /Rooted
Nexus 7 32GB v2 4.4.4 / Unlocked /Rooted
LTE Galaxy Nexus 32GB 4.4.4 / Unlocked /Rooted
LTE Galaxy SIII 32GB 4.4.4 CM11 / Unlocked /Rooted
LTE Galaxy Note 3 NC2 4.4.2 / Rooted

"Executing sudo command."

milan03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisek99 View Post
*#197328640# Main screen

Out of those 3 codes only *#0011# General Debug screen worked for me. Hmm are there any other additional steps I have to take to be able to access those other codes?
Post screenshot of *#0011# and I'll explain how to analyze it.

lisek99
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
Post screenshot of *#0011# and I'll explain how to analyze it.

milan03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisek99 View Post
Ok, so you're looking at the first line where it says LTE Band. Band 13 is the original LTE layer in 700Mhz spectrum.
PLMN: 311-480 is the country/network code, unique to Verizon Wireless.
Bandwidth is the amount of spectrum they're using. Band 13 is 10Mhz nationwide, capable of 73.6Mbps peak speeds. Their Band 4 is in many markets 20Mhz capable of 150Mbps peak speeds!
RSRP is "reference signal receive power" -44dBm being amazing, and -140dBm you're about to drop connection.
SNR is "signal to noise ratio" the higher the better. 30dB is perfect.
RSRQ is "reference signal receive quality" -3dBm being amazing and -19dBm terrible.
PA state displays the new envelope tracking (ET) feature only Note 3 has, it saves battery and should improve upload, etc....

You really should be watching the first line and try to spot "BAND 4" and the third line showing you the BW (bandwidth). Should be between 10Mhz and 20Mhz depending on the market. Please state your market when you post screenshots, it will really help me figure out which areas are getting this massive capacity!

Hope this helps!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to milan03 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]