Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,588 Members 47,359 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Connect Chromecast to mobile hotspot?

Tip us?

Hulk0069
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Default Connect Chromecast to mobile hotspot?

Like the title says any way to do this, hi I'm new to this forum, was wondering if they're is a way to do this stock or rooted way.any help is much appreciated.

lovekeiiy
Old
Thanks Meter 163
sure. I do it using WiFi Tether on my Galaxy Note 2. Just needs to get an IP from the device. You're going to need to connect a PC to the hotspot so you can set it. You may need another device--PC or mobile device--to sling from.
The Following User Says Thank You to lovekeiiy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hulk0069
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Do I connect the Chromecast to my pc? Or to my laptop, here's my setup,my hotspot is currently my main internet.so my pc is connected to my hotspot.but can't connect Chromecast while that feature is on.if you could break down a little gladly appreciate it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

hunnymonster
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Somewhere in the config of the hotspot... Is there an option for "isolation"? If there is switch it off, then you should be on the right road.

Hulk0069
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
Somewhere in the config of the hotspot... Is there an option for "isolation"? If there is switch it off, then you should be on the right road.
Don't see that.so no I don't think so.I have my pc ,my laptop,connected but the only thing showing up for Chromecast is my roku 3.?? There has to be a way for me to set it up.Google makes this so hard.

hunnymonster
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I don't think Google have made it hard. The thing that's making it hard for you is your mobile hotspot (and I think the fact that it is defaulting to not allowing communication between two devices connected to it: you can try this with two other devices - using ping... If you can ping each device from the other its something other than client isolation)

Hulk0069
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
I'm gunna try thanks

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 809

DONATE TO ME
It would help if you could tell us the make/model of your hotspot.
More-generic ones like my CradlePoint PHS300 and Zyxel MWR102 and MWR211 default to letting wireless clients see each other, but do have the option to keep wireless clients isolated (so they can access Internet, but not see each other).

Hulk0069
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
It would help if you could tell us the make/model of your hotspot.
More-generic ones like my CradlePoint PHS300 and Zyxel MWR102 and MWR211 default to letting wireless clients see each other, but do have the option to keep wireless clients isolated (so they can access Internet, but not see each other).
I have a Verizon s3 I have the hotspot by Verizon I pay the monthly fee for it.my s3 is rooted running clean Rom latest.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 809

DONATE TO ME
Thanks. Unfortunately I have no experience with Verizon equipment. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'