Originally Posted by JoshDi
I have a SM-900V that is running a rooted stock version of MJ7. I removed most of the bloatware, but I noticed that my battery drains much faster than before.
Below is a screenshot of my battery usage by app. I see that the index service is using more battery than ever.
Can I uninstall this application? What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this? What can I do to change the indexing settings?
Thank you all for your help
I noticed the exact same thing was happening on my Verizon Note 3 last week sometime as well. Usually when I'm at work all day, I leave work around 4 and my battery is still 90-95% full, but all of a sudden one day after work, my dang battery was showing like 45-55% !!
I was like WTF??? So I did the same thing as you and checked the battery stats and found the exact same thing, "IndexService," was EATING MY BATTERY ALIVE!
It was practically dropping percentages in front of my eyes..
I did a lot of research on xda and all over the web and there's a TON of info about it. LOTS and LOTS of people have experienced this problem besides just us, so I didn't feel NEARRRLLLYYY as bad lol. The general consensus from others experiencing this is that it has to do with the "IndexService" scanning the files on the phone and "getting hung up" on a corrupted/bad .pdf file(s), thus stuck in some sort of loop of trying to scan/analyze the culprit .pdf file(s), thus eating your battery alive. From what I've read, there's not really any way to really determine what the specific file(s) is/are, so most people have just removed the last few .pdf files that they've downloaded/transferred to their phones. I guess your options for that route are either deleting the last few(or all new ones) .pdf files, sending them to cloud storage, transferring them over to another form of media storage(different sd card, pc hard drive, cloud, etc.), formatting the external SD card(if that's where the file(s) are located), or removal and replacing with a different card altogether. After you remove whatever is the cause, just try to avoid downloading any .pdf files at all.
I, on the other hand, didn't feel like getting rid of any files, so I just used the donation version of the "Greenify" app and greenified "IndexService" as well as "S-Finder"( "S-Finder" is a Samsung search app that's a co-conspirator involved in all of this mess!! ). By using "Greenify," it seemed to solve my problem almost immediately, as over the next few hours after "Greenifying" those two, it was almost like instant gratification! I haven't tried using TiBackup to freeze them, but I'm pretty certain that I read of that also being an option. I don't see why it wouldn't work just the same, if not better than the methods I just discussed.
Good luck and I hope this helps a little bit!!