FORUMS

New Xposed for Lollipop 5.0 Update Fixes Major Bugs

Senior Recognized Developer rovo89 has patched Xposed for Lollipop 5.0 to … more

Download Sony’s new AOSP-like concept for Xperia Z3

Over in our forums, Recognized Contributor Jozinek has posted a very … more

OnePlus 2 vs Moto X Style: Which is The Better Flagship?

Two big industry names have announced their newest flagship phones within the … more

Making Your Own Xposed Modules Is Easier Than You Think

Close to the heart of XDA is the Xposed Framework by Rovo89. Most of … more

[Q] [Help] Phone shutting down when unplugged

31 posts
Thanks Meter: 9
 
By Osni~*, Member on 19th November 2013, 09:16 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi,

I'm experiencing some problems with my Xperia ZQ (C6503), which I bought less than a month ago, and would like to know if someone could help me, I'm getting desperate

The problem:
When turning on the phone, it displays the SONY logo (or DooMLoRD's, if I install TWRP recovery) for about 3 or 4 seconds, then shuts down (I can't even get to the boot animation, where there's the XPERIA logo and the waves).

The only way to get it to boot is turning it on while having the USB cable connected to a charger or PC. It will work just fine until I unplug it.
At this point, if I leave it alone and only access the home screen or SMS app, it will remain on until the battery is fully discharged. However, if I open any other app like WiFi networks, camera, contacts etc., it WILL shut down and I'll have to plug it again to be able to boot up...

What I did with the phone before this happened:
- Rooted using DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit and used it for a few days
- Unlocked boot loader with Flashtool
- Flashed DooMLoRD's CWM-Based Recovery 6.0.3.2
- Installed AOKP MR1 Milestone 2 (Android 4.2.2) and used it for a couple weeks

What I did trying to solve the problem:
- Wiped data/cache/dalvik cache
- Flashed various stock brazilian ROMs through Flashtool (10.3.A.1.434, 10.3.1.A.2.67 and 10.3.A.0.423) countless times
- Flashed AOKP again
- Restored to 10.3.1.A.2.67 using Sony Update Service (had to relock the bootloader with Flashtool)
- Tried updating using Sony PC Companion but it said I'm already in the latest version
- Tried to use Sony Emma but I can't get login credentials (I'm not receiving the confirmation e-mail)


I followed some instructions for similar problems in the Q&A forum but most of them end saying the owner had to send the phone to warranty, but they never say what's the outcome...

Do you think I'll have to do the same? If so, is there anything more to before sending it, other than relocking the bootloader and flashing stock firmware?

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Osni~* For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
19th November 2013, 10:18 PM |#2  
martin132014's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 69
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osni~*

Hi,

I'm experiencing some problems with my Xperia ZQ (C6503), which I bought less than a month ago, and would like to know if someone could help me, I'm getting desperate

The problem:
When turning on the phone, it displays the SONY logo (or DooMLoRD's, if I install TWRP recovery) for about 3 or 4 seconds, then shuts down (I can't even get to the boot animation, where there's the XPERIA logo and the waves).

The only way to get it to boot is turning it on while having the USB cable connected to a charger or PC. It will work just fine until I unplug it.
At this point, if I leave it alone and only access the home screen or SMS app, it will remain on until the battery is fully discharged. However, if I open any other app like WiFi networks, camera, contacts etc., it WILL shut down and I'll have to plug it again to be able to boot up...

What I did with the phone before this happened:
- Rooted using DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit and used it for a few days
- Unlocked boot loader with Flashtool
- Flashed DooMLoRD's CWM-Based Recovery 6.0.3.2
- Installed AOKP MR1 Milestone 2 (Android 4.2.2) and used it for a couple weeks

What I did trying to solve the problem:
- Wiped data/cache/dalvik cache
- Flashed various stock brazilian ROMs through Flashtool (10.3.A.1.434, 10.3.1.A.2.67 and 10.3.A.0.423) countless times
- Flashed AOKP again
- Restored to 10.3.1.A.2.67 using Sony Update Service (had to relock the bootloader with Flashtool)
- Tried updating using Sony PC Companion but it said I'm already in the latest version
- Tried to use Sony Emma but I can't get login credentials (I'm not receiving the confirmation e-mail)


I followed some instructions for similar problems in the Q&A forum but most of them end saying the owner had to send the phone to warranty, but they never say what's the outcome...

Do you think I'll have to do the same? If so, is there anything more to before sending it, other than relocking the bootloader and flashing stock firmware?

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy thread

Unfortunately, what you read is right and you need to send it to servise center for repair unless you can change the battery itself yourselves...
Otherwise their is nothing you can do but to send it to Sony...
I have similar problem and because some don't say the outcome yet is because haven't receive the phone yet...like me, I have been waiting nearly 2 month for it to repair it by sony...
Don't know wether Sony accept my warranty or not because I have unlocked the bootloader and root...but before send I already relock it and unroot it..so hope Sony didn't find that out...
Of you have warranty, what you can do is just do the same...and hoping for the best...

Press thanks if this help....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to martin132014 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th November 2013, 08:40 AM |#3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
My unit is still in the service and awaiting battery. The same problem, which as far as I know is only present to the ZL model, and the root cause is the malfunctioning battery. I did not do anything with my C6502, its completely stock, but the dealer wants me to present a receipt for them to acknowledge the warrantry of my unit. I politely told them that the unit is several months old and it has not been opened and in pure stock condition. What then will be my protection when the unit was a gift from my daughter I argued.

In short I did not prevail and yes it is bummer considering that the phone is about 3 months old in pure stock condition. I am beginning to doubt the brand and how they stand behind their product. First time to use Sony, Am currently using my old reliable Samsung Galaxy S2 while waiting for the ZL battery. Yes I will pay for everything. parts and labor. B!@#$ accept my apologies for releasing. . .
The Following User Says Thank You to jun1662 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2013, 07:56 PM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
its happening to the Z as well.

I went through this September, it took 5 weeks and they sent me an Xperia Z as replacement which was great because the ZL development stalled.
The Following User Says Thank You to coilbio For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd November 2013, 01:52 AM |#5  
CokeJunkee's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 47
 
More
some info
The problem is with the BMS (battery management system) inside the battery pack (--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_management_system).
If an unsafe state is detected, the BMS shuts down the battery to prevent it from severe damage (fire, etc.).
Some people manage to "repair" the BMS by going through several charge and discharge cycles but this doesn't always work.
A few years back we've played around with some cheap lithium polymer battery packs without BMS.
On heavy discharg load around 50% of the cells caught fire.. (Well, we were building an electronic car for the formula student, but the concept is the same )

If you send your phone in to Sony, in most cases they don't change the battery, they just reset the BMS.
This problem can occur with all modern lithium batteries, depending on the BMS thats used inside.
I'll post here if I find a way to reset the BMS for the ZL battery, but I don't think it's that easy..
And still, you would have to open your device and connect the battery to a small microcontroller (if someone has programming skills, it might work with the Arduino board..?!?)

Depending on where you live, it can take very long (2 months plus) until you get your phone back.
You might think about replacing the battery yourself.. You can find them on ebay and several battery suppliers online for around 35$.
Here you can find the service documents: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2516874
Last edited by CokeJunkee; 22nd November 2013 at 02:55 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CokeJunkee For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd November 2013, 07:36 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
my ZL too had this strange auto shutdown thingy, mine was fully stock, no root no unlocking.
i sent it to sony for repair. they sent me a new ZL within a week saying it had some problems with the battery.
i live in India.
The Following User Says Thank You to control freak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd November 2013, 04:32 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Thanks for the information, I knew it was something with the battery. Some people said their phone came back to life after reconnecting the battery.

EDIT: I don't know anything about this battery management system, but Z/ZL seems to have a pretty dumb one.

Since I just got the phone and wouldn't open it, i tried discharging the battery but things got worse, the phone got stuck on a boot loop with the red LED blinking 3 times and was not charging again.

Thankfully it charged back when I tried with the original charger and cable (they were at work).


I just dropped the phone at an authorized repair center, they'll sent it to Sony and I will (or should) receive it back in up to 20 days.

Will let you guys know when I get any news.
Last edited by Osni~*; 22nd November 2013 at 04:36 PM.
16th December 2013, 04:30 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
OK, got my phone back (a new one, actually) this saturday, after 22 days.

They confirmed the problem was something with the battery.


Thanks for all the help!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Osni~* For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th December 2013, 08:52 AM |#9  
Junior Member
Flag Grand Forks
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
That's good to hear that you got it back. I just sent my ZL in for this same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osni~*

OK, got my phone back (a new one, actually) this saturday, after 22 days.

They confirmed the problem was something with the battery.


Thanks for all the help!

22nd January 2014, 02:02 AM |#10  
Junior Member
Flag Grand Forks
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Sony Repair Service is awful.
Onsi~ did it take 22 business days or 22 calendar days? Mine phone has been at Sony's repair center for 31 calendar days 20 business days and the repair center just seems to be sitting on their hands. Sony's tech support doesn't seem like they can push it along either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Osni~*

OK, got my phone back (a new one, actually) this saturday, after 22 days.

They confirmed the problem was something with the battery.


Thanks for all the help!

22nd January 2014, 05:45 PM |#11  
OP Member
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005k

Onsi~ did it take 22 business days or 22 calendar days? Mine phone has been at Sony's repair center for 31 calendar days 20 business days and the repair center just seems to be sitting on their hands. Sony's tech support doesn't seem like they can push it along either.

Hello dr2005k,
It took 22 days (16 business days).

The deadline given by the attendant was initially in days, but when I called them near the end of the deadline they claimed it was in business days .

It all depends on your agreement with the repair center. If it has already expired and they are sitting in their hands, like you said, you can complain to them (if you didn't already) and maybe say you would sue them if they don't give your phone back. (Even if you don't intend to, they will get scared and try to solve your problem a little faster ).

Also try contacting Sony directly, that's what I was about to do.

I had a last resort option, in my contry (Brazil) there's a law that states if the product spends more than 30 days in the repair center, the manufacturer has to give you another one (brand new, not refurbished) or your money back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Osni~* For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
shutting down, turning off
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes