5,600,335 Members 34,989 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

KitKat Update after update

Tip us?
 
hagensieker
Old
(Last edited by hagensieker; 20th November 2013 at 09:15 PM.) Reason: changed root to stock
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 46
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default KitKat Update after update

I recently downloaded the kitkat update linked from there and did a fast boot install. This morning I checked my Nexus 7 and it said I had a system update to 4.4 available to download and install.

I was under the impression these were exactly the same update. Why would it upgrade my upgrade?

Also the installation I have has glitch kernel installed. I thought everything had to be stock to get the update?

And by the way I know people are tracking who is getting the OTA update and where. I live in Iwakuni Japan .

John
 
sfhub
Old
#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6796
Posts: 4,757
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagensieker View Post
I recently downloaded the kitkat update linked from there and did a fast boot install. This morning I checked my Nexus 7 and it said I had a system update to 4.4 available to download and install.

I was under the impression these were exactly the same update. Why would it upgrade my upgrade?

Also the installation I have has glitch kernel installed. I thought everything had to be root to get the update?

And by the way I know people are tracking who is getting the OTA update and where. I live in Iwakuni Japan .

John
KitKat KRT16O was the first release. KitKat KRT16S is the update.

You probably installed KRT16O and got the KRT16S via OTA update.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s
 
hagensieker
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 46
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
KitKat KRT16O was the first release. KitKat KRT16S is the update.

You probably installed KRT16O and got the KRT16S via OTA update.
Correct you are. KRT16S. Left glitch kernel intact though..........


John
 
sfhub
Old
#4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6796
Posts: 4,757
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagensieker View Post
Correct you are. KRT16S. Left glitch kernel intact though..........


John
That's because the KRT16S kernel is exactly the same as the KRT16O kernel so it wasn't included in the ota update. That allowed your existing kernel to stay in place and not get overwritten.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s
 
hagensieker
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 46
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
That's because the KRT16S kernel is exactly the same as the KRT16O kernel so it wasn't included in the ota update. That allowed your existing kernel to stay in place and not get overwritten.
Makes sense.....thank you.
 
NsZebra
Old
#6  
NsZebra's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 458
Posts: 514
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Buenos Aires

 
DONATE TO ME
The update was just 3.4 mb it did not contain any boot.img

Check out my Youtube Channel

 
Device: Nexus 7 (2013) (Locked) Wi-Fi
 
Lens Pirate
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 21
Posts: 98
Join Date: Jul 2012
So do we know yet what the changes are?
Note 3 /w 64 gig ext sd -Unlimited Data plan VZW
Nexus 7 2013 Unlocked and Rooted
Nexus 10 Unlocked and Rooted
WI-Drive 64 gigs
RETIRED GTab 10.1, Droid DNA, Razor, Razor MAX

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Intelligently Place Contacts on Your Home Screen with CallWho Widget

There are plenty of ways to get your contacts to show up on your … more

Control TWRP from within Android with TWRP Coordinator

You may recall that back when TWRP2 introduced a couple of years ago, it brought with … more

Keep Track of Everything Your Device Does with Event Logger

Regardless of their OS choice, computing power users generally share one common … more

A More Competitive Spin on the Addictive 2048 Puzzle

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we talked about a rather interesting take on … more