5,600,335 Members 34,979 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My T-Mobile account app?

Tip us?
 
cryptic3
Old
#1  
cryptic3's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Posts: 287
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default My T-Mobile account app?

Anyone else that is rooted notice the app has a tab called device health and it shows that you are rooted.... Is this a bad thing? Should I delete the app?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
 
elesbb
Old
#2  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3879
Posts: 6,259
Join Date: Jun 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
The FBI is probably on their way over with the T-Mobile police :P

Lol kidding! It's just telling you that your device is rooted and apps may do harmful things. It's just stupid to have that there. Don't worry about it. I have the app too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to elesbb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Cal-El
Old
#3  
Cal-El's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 1,666
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic3 View Post
Anyone else that is rooted notice the app has a tab called device health and it shows that you are rooted.... Is this a bad thing? Should I delete the app?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
I did awhile ago when i discovered it was creating a log file on my SD of everything my phone was doing network wise (even wifi). I don't think tmo needs to keep track of my Wifi activity being my home wireless has nothing to do with their network. To me it just seemed like Tmobile spyware on my phone.
White Galaxy S4
SGH-M919
Philz Touch
Goldeneye MGA W/Ktoonz
Running whatever is new to play with.
I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul!
-Toby Mack.
 
Ash359
Old
#4  
Ash359's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 615
Posts: 1,876
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
The FBI is probably on their way over with the T-Mobile police :P

Lol kidding! It's just telling you that your device is rooted and apps may do harmful things. It's just stupid to have that there. Don't worry about it. I have the app too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
So your warranty hasn't been voided?

I'm afraid that the app ratted you out to T-Mobile and they may have voided your warranty.

Even if you Odin back to stock and triangle away T-Mobile knows you were rooted.

I hope I am wrong.

Sent from my Jedi Master Note II
 
Android_Monsters
Old
#5  
Android_Monsters's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 748
Posts: 2,740
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
I really wouldn't worry about it. I just returned a rooted s4 to T-Mobile.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
Skipjacks
Old
#6  
Skipjacks's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3483
Posts: 4,436
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Baltimore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash359 View Post
So your warranty hasn't been voided?

I'm afraid that the app ratted you out to T-Mobile and they may have voided your warranty.

Even if you Odin back to stock and triangle away T-Mobile knows you were rooted.

I hope I am wrong.

Sent from my Jedi Master Note II
You are overthinking it.

If you contested that they'd have to prove the phone was rooted and that their app wasn't just going haywire adn reporting the wrong data. And you'd have the physical phone which showed a reset flash counter and official recovery so you'd have a much stronger argument than they do.

Also, since you are rooted you can do various things to prevent apps like this from telling T Mobile anything. First you can block their permissions and second you can us a firewall app to prevent it from having access to the Wifi or Mobile data. Of course it would be able to give your minutes or data usage or anything like that. But it wont' be able to tell T Mobile anything about yoru phone either.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!
 
Ash359
Old
#7  
Ash359's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 615
Posts: 1,876
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android_Monsters View Post
I really wouldn't worry about it. I just returned a rooted s4 to T-Mobile.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Did you Odin back to stock and reset the counter?

Did you have the new app feature wiring that tells if you are rooted?

Sent from my Jedi Master Note II

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
You are overthinking it.

If you contested that they'd have to prove the phone was rooted and that their app wasn't just going haywire adn reporting the wrong data. And you'd have the physical phone which showed a reset flash counter and official recovery so you'd have a much stronger argument than they do.

Also, since you are rooted you can do various things to prevent apps like this from telling T Mobile anything. First you can block their permissions and second you can us a firewall app to prevent it from having access to the Wifi or Mobile data. Of course it would be able to give your minutes or data usage or anything like that. But it wont' be able to tell T Mobile anything about yoru phone either.
Well only if you catch it in time and see what this app update will do. Otherwise blocking permissions might not appear to be necessary until too late.

You make a good argument however saying that their app can be malfunctioning.



Sent from my Jedi Master Note II

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Intelligently Place Contacts on Your Home Screen with CallWho Widget

There are plenty of ways to get your contacts to show up on your … more

Control TWRP from within Android with TWRP Coordinator

You may recall that back when TWRP2 introduced a couple of years ago, it brought with … more

Keep Track of Everything Your Device Does with Event Logger

Regardless of their OS choice, computing power users generally share one common … more

A More Competitive Spin on the Addictive 2048 Puzzle

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we talked about a rather interesting take on … more