5,598,542 Members 44,266 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MIME Feather Glass arrived damaged. MIME's return policy = no refund????

Tip us?

njweb
Old
(Last edited by njweb; 21st November 2013 at 01:28 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs down MIME Feather Glass arrived damaged. MIME's return policy = no refund????

I am very disappointed after having spent close to $35 (inc shipping) for my Note 3 MIME Feather Glass screen protector.

I opened the package and immediately noticed the screen protector appeared to be scratched in two main places (two scratches extending the width of the protector).
I hoped the scratches were only surface scratches on the protective film.
Unfortunately after removing the protective film it was obvious the scratches were indeed on the Feather Glass protector itself.

So now after buying my most expensive screen protector ever I find myself out my money given the following policy (wish I had known their unusual return policy before ordering):

From Mime's FAQ page:
30-Day Worry Free Returns
If you are not happy with your product, we will do our best to make you a satisfied customer. Due to the nature of glass screen protectors, our products are covered by a 30 day money back guarantee only if package has been unopened and the two security seals undamaged. Shipping fees are non-refundable. Shipping the item back to us is the responsibility of the buyer. Once we receive the item with no damages in its originally packaged format, we will reimburse you the original purchase cost. Please send us a message on our contact page for more details.

Notice the bolded part. In other words, I am not covered for damage that is caused by their careless handling because I can't find that out until I have opened the package!

The other alternative, their replacement policy, only offers me a 40% discount on a replacement for damaged products:
Damage Replacement Policy:

We stand by the quality and craftsmanship of our products. If your MIME Screen Protector or bumper is damaged at any time, we will offer a 40% discount off the retail value on the same product purchased, no questions asked. We include a plastic screen protector with every order of the Ghost Glass for the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4, free of charge, in the event that this happens. Simply apply the plastic protector as a temporary screen protection solution and wait for your discounted replacement to arrive in the mail. Please send us a message with the subject “Replacement (product name)” and your order information through our contact page and we will be glad to assist you.

Given the price of this protector I expected a better policy to protect me from damage that occurred on THEIR (the large outer box the protector package came in was undamaged) through no fault of mine!
In other words the protector was scratched before MIME even put the protector inside the plastic sleeve and cardboard holder with the MIME logo on it!

I will contact MIME, but given their policy I am not too hopeful.
It might be an isolated incident, but even more then a reason for MIME to stand behind their product for situations like this where the buyer has done nothing wrong other than putting their confidence in the product based on feedback from other buyers.

Worse yet, I removed my iSmooth HD screen protector (now accumulated dust) in preparation for the application of my Feather Glass protector (I did not expect the MIME protector to be scratched to begin with, especially since the shipping box was completely fine (no damage to the box whatsoever)!

If anyone has been in a similar situation (received a damaged / scratched protector) and has been able to get MIME to ship a replacement free (as opposed to a replacement for only 40% off), let me know.
Thanks in advance!

busab
Old
Thanks Meter 160
You should really try contacting them first before starting a thread like this.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to busab For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hawkeye680
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by busab View Post
You should really try contacting them first before starting a thread like this.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Bingo. Mine had a chipped corner when it arrived. I sent them a pic of it and they told me to use it until the replacement arrived.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawkeye680 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zlog
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Exactly. Don't get all worked up without trying. I had mine crack while on my device without any impact and they had a replacement order set up within ONE hour of me sending an email to them. I had to provide a picture as well, but that was it. These guys are absolutely awesome.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zlog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

njweb
Old
(Last edited by njweb; 21st November 2013 at 11:10 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the feedback re. your experiences. That helps a lot!

I would normally have waited but there were a few reasons I decided to post.
I was admittedly, and understandably, frustrated after reading their policy given the damage happened before it was even packed for shipping to me - the outer box was in pristine condition and the small inner MIME box was fine too, so this did NOT happen during shipping.

I.e. their written policy states clearly that they do not provide refunds once the package is opened. That would cause any buyer in this position to have concern that they would be out of luck.
The other policy - damage policy is a 40% discount, which would be okay if the damage was caused by the end user.

Most importantly, I wanted to get some feedback from other users who have been in the same boat, as well as share my experience (which is what the community is great for, learning from one another's posts and experiences), all along hoping MIME would do the right thing to retain business and retain their 'rating'.
I would of course share the follow-up to give MIME credit.

Speaking of which, they have responded to my support inquiry asking me to send some pictures, which I will do now (just woke up after falling asleep so I could not post an update earlier tonight / this morning).

Given that they are asking for the photos which hopefully means they are working with me towards a free replacement (specifics weren't stated, perhaps they plan to decide exactly how to handle it depending on the extent of the scratches).
I suspect the written policy verbiage, which made it sound like I was out of luck despite having received it damaged to begin with, is mostly to protect them from people who may want to abuse the system.
This is where the photos will come in handy to show the actual scratches. I would even be happy to send it back if they asked.

Thanks again for the prompt replies of your outcomes which give me confidence they will resolve this to my satisfaction!
I'll be sure to post the final outcome for both MIME's benefit and that of the community.
The Following User Says Thank You to njweb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hidea
Old
Thanks Meter 112
In my limited experience with MIME, they've kept their promise on that replacement policy.

I had to exchange my Note 3 due to faulty hardware. Asked MIME if I would qualify for the discount (hey, wouldn't hurt to ask); and they were kind enough to allow me to get a new glass under their replacement policy.
This could be an isolated case, but this is a testament how serious they are about making sure people are happy with their purchase.

Email communication have been spotty with them lately. Kinda unresponsive at times. But I think they're just swamped with Emails. At least they ship out orders fast! Three orders from them, all shipped (verified through USPS' tracking system) within 12-hours! And shipping from their location (NYC) to my address (Toronto, Canada) have been fast!

The stuff MIME include in each packaging is also well considered! MIME includes a really good cleaning cloth *and* a big static-cling PET-like plastic to help remove dust particles on screen before applying the actual glass. I know some manufacturers also include alcohol tissues, and I agree that's something else MIME could include (helps cleaning finger prints off screen surface before applying the glass)

Not to mention, MIME's prices are very competitive! More affordable than Spigen's.

My Note 3, HTC One glass have been superb!
Rogers LG G2 (D803) on Virgin Mobile
Rogers HTC One 2014 (M8) on Koodo Mobile
Rogers HTC One (M7) on Koodo Wireless
Rogers Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M) on Virgin Mobile
Google Nexus 5 on Virgin Mobile
TELUS Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900W8) on Koodo Wireless & Galaxy Gear (SM-V7000ZKAXAC)
Rogers Moto X (XT1058) on Koodo Wireless