5,595,815 Members 36,332 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[INFO] Rootable Serial Numbers

Tip us?

bhiga
Old
(Last edited by bhiga; 14th April 2014 at 11:56 PM.) Reason: 3B08 confirmed no root
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Default [INFO] Rootable Serial Numbers

First ask yourself, do I need to root? Then come back to see if you have possibility to root.
See: Root Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? and Why should I root?
For help with FlashCast, see the Main FlashCast thread and Rooting with FlashCast Mini-FAQ

DISCLAIMER:
Any unit that has been connected to the Internet for any appreciable amount of time may get auto-updated and no longer be rootable, so remember, these guidelines apply only to new, just-out-of-sealed-box units.
While the serial number seems to be a fairly good indicator of whether a particular Chromecast can be rooted (has the original 12072 firmware out-of-the-box), there is no guarantee... All of the below is just a best guess based on my own experience and experience of other users.
REMEMBER: It's NOT just the serial number that determines whether the particular Chromecast can be rooted!
An exploitable/rootable Chromecast really equates to one that has never been connected to the Internet and has shipped from the factory with an exploitable firmware version (12072).
Thus, the serial number only provides an accurate guide for new/unopened devices that have not been set up (or at least have not had a live connection to the Internet). This is just a guideline - there are still instances where a unit that should have a vulnerable bootloader reaches the consumer with a newer bootloader, for whatever reason.
...and there's one 3C03 that came with 12072. How that happened, nobody but Google knows!

SUMMARY: (aka tl;dr just tell me what serial ranges to look for and avoid!)
LOOK FOR: Anything with serial number starting 3921 and below. These should be root capable. The cut-off from rootable (shipped with build 12072) to non-rootable (shipped with newer build) appears to be somewhere in the 3922 range - some of these may be rootable while others are not.
So far there have been a small number of confirmed exceptions - units that fell within the "should be rootable" range but were not - see the end of this post for details..
Chromecast officially began shipping in Canada and Europe on March 19, 2014. So far European models seem to start with 42xx, which of course means they are not rootable.
This essentially means only very early US-released units are/were rootable.

BE CAREFUL to check the difference between a B (letter) and an 8 (number) in the serial number!
3B units have been spotted in the wild, so be careful not to mistake a 3Bxx (non-rootable) unit for a 38xx (should be rootable) unit.
It can be subtle and one can easily be mistaken for the other. Check the attached image (the short wide one, 5th in the list) to see the difference.

AVOID: Serial numbers starting from 3922 and newer, and those starting with 3A, 3B and greater (for the less geeky, in larger than base-10 digits, after 9 it goes A, B, etc). 3922 might be rootable but we don't know where in the range rootability ends. The rest are not root capable, at least not with current root methods (FlashCast).

Open box and second-hand units have likely already auto-updated to a non-rootable version if they were connected to the Internet.

3923-3924 is currently unknown, but if the cut-off point somewhere in the 3922 range holds, these are likely not rootable. If you get one in this range and try it, please let us know if it is rootable fresh-out-of-box.

REMEMBER: Perform your root attempt before letting the Chromecast device connect to the Internet! It does not need to be configured to root it, so open the box, plug it into the TV and power to make sure it's not DOA (it'll show "Set me up"), then try rooting!
See Rooting with FlashCast Mini-FAQ for step-by-step flowchart and troubleshooting.
Once it has Internet access, it will try to automatically update itself (and hence become non-rootable, even if it was rootable out of the box). Once rooted, make note of the out-of-box firmware version (check Chromecast app or manual setup via browser) then flash a rooted update that does not auto-update from Google, like Eureka-ROM (how to flash video). After that, you're safe to connect to the Internet.
If you are on Windows, make sure you have disabled hiding file extensions, otherwise when you rename your ROM/mod file to eureka_image.zip you might really be renaming it to eureka_image.zip.zip because Windows is hiding file extensions! Right-click and Properties the file and check the Details tab to make sure. See a picture of the difference.

Purchase strategy:
Best to check a local store where you can actually look at the serial number on the box.
Check the back of the shelf or peg (hanger) if you don't see one on the front. Most stores just put new stock at the front and push old stock to the back. raichur0xx0rz notes that the newer units have lens flare in the art so that may be a quicker way to find likely candidates compared to flipping through every single box.
Also carefully check the seal at the corner of the box. The seal is supposed to show VOID through when peeled off, but if opened very carefully it can look 99.9% new. See pictures, my opened example isn't the best job, it can definitely be better.

If you're ordering online, it's a total crap shoot, good luck.

Not sure you're rooted?
If you flashed Eureka-ROM, you'll get the Team Eureka logo on Chromecast boot. However, many TVs don't sync up with the signal fast enough to actually display the boot logo.
So... After Chromecast is booted, point your web browser to http://IP.address.of.Chromecast (you can get the IP address from the Chromecast app, or check your router's DHCP assignments) - if you get the Eureka-ROM web panel, congratulations, you're rooted and have the extra capabilities Eureka-ROM provides!
If you're not using Eureka-ROM, then you'll have to try SSH, Telnet or ADB to your Chromecast's IP address.
If you're using a Stock no updates ROM, it's stock and only preserves root so you can still flash mods/ROMs, so there's no way to tell as SSH, Telnet and ADB are disabled in stock ROMs.

Determining the serial number:
The serial number appears on a sticker on the box, just above the barcode. The numbers/letters we usually refer (3908, 3919, 3A etc) are the very beginning. Or you can just look at the etched number on your Chromecast (though I have difficulty reading it myself).
All serial numbers I have seen so far appear in the form of 3xxx101xxxxx. I am curious if serial numbers for releases in other regions will follow this convention.

BE CAREFUL to check the difference between a B (letter) and an 8 (number) in the serial number!
3B units have been spotted in the wild, so be careful not to mistake a 3Bxx (non-rootable) unit for a 38xx (should be rootable) unit.
It can be subtle and one can easily be mistaken for the other. Check the attached image (the short wide one, 5th in the list) to see the difference.

If your device is already rooted...
If you have Eureka-ROM installed, you can simply go to the Status tab of your Chromecast Web Panel which is located at http://ip_address_of_your_Chromecast - if you don't know your Chromecast's IP address, you can get it from the Chromecast app or your router.
Otherwise you can ddggttff3's instructions to get the serial number from the device itself via telnet or SSH

Contributing a report:
To report a root-capable Chromecast, either post your serial number (first 4 alphanumeric characters) here or PM me. If you can't read the serial number on your device, don't have the box for your device, or simply can't get to your device, follow ddggttff3's instructions to get the serial number from the device itself via telnet or SSH.
To report an UN-rootable Chromecast, please check Root with FlashCast Mini-FAQ and if you're not using manufactured powered OTG cable check example powered OTG assembly from cables and adapters to ensure your OTG cable is not faulty. Then answer these two questions: Was your Chromecast connected to the Internet for more than a minute before you attempted to root it? Did you ever boot your Chromecast and see the "Updating..." screen?
  • Yes for either question - Thank you for wanting to help, but unfortunately it is highly likely that your Chromecast applied an automatic OTA update and made itself un-rootable. It may have been root-capable out of the box, but now we cannot tell.
  • No to both questions, then please post or PM me what you tried including the first 4 of your serial

Attachment index:
Source reports:
Success: 111
Confirmed failure within "should be rootable" range: 8 (+1 fuzzy)
"Border patrol": 28 (confirmed outside of "should be rootable" range was not rootable)

Rooted
3613 Creig
3615 ften
3617 ddggttff3
37xx jrbxx7
3712 extrem0
3717 scotte9999 via PM
3719 hgoldner
3725 ironstorm
3726 preusstang, draziw1
3727 RiceDie
3728 extrem0
3729 Coppernob
3731 darnskippy
3804 akenis, ften
3805 samteeee
3807 ddggttff3
3809 musiclovesme
3811 raichur0xx0rz
3814 jo3holl4nd
3816 akenis, greenrocks
3817 sirdystic
3818 ironstorm
3819 otaku888
3820 kekos321
3821 cadguycad
3822 cheath94
3824 ddggttff3
3825 MadBob, ironstorm
3826 leomanmfk, ironstorm
3829 sehaas
3830 jareddlc
3831 BurnOmatic (via PM), ddggttff3, kcustom11
3884 RVD40
3901 guy4jesuschrist, ddggttff3 (via PM)
3902 jay_ntwr, oppy
3903 dragonzzz, TooYellow
3904 dirtfoot, cadguycad, dragonzzz
3905 bhiga, frantisek.nesveda, TooYellow
3906 chemicaldave, Naggie, tlgem, newk9, cheath94, mikma80
3907 kwcummings42, cheath94
3908 kevev, yoonus
3909 saikek, sehaas
3910 jds580s, thijsnl, FaraiNL
3911 Spasticdroid, mentalinc
3912 bhiga, mentalinc, BurnOmatic (via PM)
3913 wptski
3914 tomtuben, yoonus
3915 bhiga, preusstang, wptski (via PM), draziw1
3916 bhiga, Anakha56, whoking, rans0m00, mathrov
3917 bhiga, phonephreak32, heyCoop (via PM), larrypetty, rans0m00, Tamhvm
3918 bhiga, kevev, smalis, heyCoop (via PM), Markyzz
3919 bhiga, Dirty Engineer, punkcell
3920 bhiga (via talking to myself), _Gir_, rans0m00, abuttino, zul8er
3921 jlc9761, cmb3497, Shoeby, PetrichorXFi, FaraiNL
3922 MrPaulAR, FaraiNL
3C03 (exception to the rule?) Fatallll

NOT rootable
noted exceptions within the "might be rootable" guidelines:
3812? (might have been 3B12, but unable to confirm as it was returned) gaganit
3825 cmb3497 (was sealed and new, but already came with build 12940, for unknown reasons)
3825101XSQUD TheSchatz (was sealed and new, but already came with build 12940, for unknown reasons)
3902101Z9PT5 necroscopev (was sealed and new, but wouldn't take the flash - just showed red LED)
3906101ZWZT0 csd181 (just wouldn't flash)
3917101Z2NY8 ClearD (came with 12940)
3918 kr338r (new in box, came with 13021)
3920 zippeurfou (new in box, came with 12940)
3922101Z3CU9 reflame (just wouldn't flash)

beyond the "might be rootable" boundary:
3925 Orangepuss
3927 jlc9761
3928 OneAn9ryN00b
3929 preusstang, aaa801
3930 mastercoder (via PM), arcangel_web
3Axx mrdelriego, pandacookie
3A02 preusstang
3A06 rfvreynoso
3A10 skinote
3A13 rukin1
3A22 wilspeak
3A26 zarun
3A28 zarun
3A30 karimrim
3A31 Spasticdroid
3B02 rukin1
3B04 punkcell
3B05 neoking
3B08 bonjurkes
3B10 Thalinor
3B14 jlc9761
3B16 jimdandy (via PM)
3B21 sefirosu0522
3B27 toxicpaulution
3C01 abernav
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChromecastSerial.jpg
Views:	6813
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	2411289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome(default).jpg
Views:	4356
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	2415156   Click image for larger version

Name:	flashCast.jpg
Views:	4696
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	2415157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pwned.jpg
Views:	4305
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	2415158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Serial8vsB.jpg
Views:	5483
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	2423084  

Name:	SealedVsOpen.jpg
Views:	4196
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	2430751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Opened.jpg
Views:	4470
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2430752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sealed.jpg
Views:	4238
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	2430753   Click image for larger version

Name:	SerialEtch.jpg
Views:	4592
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2430754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dots.jpg
Views:	3910
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	2430964  

Name:	Eureka-ROM.png
Views:	2991
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	2466172   Click image for larger version

Name:	DontHideExtensions.png
Views:	2658
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	2489718  
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gaganit
Old
Thanks Meter 2
FYI. Just tried 3812 which was already on 12940. Hence not rootable.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

bhiga
Old
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaganit View Post
FYI. Just tried 3812 which was already on 12940. Hence not rootable.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Uhoh, that kind of punches a hole in the serial number range theory...
Was this an online or retail store purchase?

And just to make sure, was it new and fresh out of the box, not set up or not connected to the Internet long enough to get an automatic update?

mastermind278
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Uhoh, that kind of punches a hole in the serial number range theory...
Was this an online or retail store purchase?

And just to make sure, was it new and fresh out of the box, not set up or not connected to the Internet long enough to get an automatic update?
Pretty sure the serial number theory works. He might have connected it online at some point. This is why I say open it out of the box and root (don't even bother setting it up), that way you won't have issues!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mastermind278 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermind278 View Post
Pretty sure the serial number theory works. He might have connected it online at some point. This is why I say open it out of the box and root (don't even bother setting it up), that way you won't have issues!
If it updated wouldn't it be build 13300 instead of 12940? I guess somebody could have returned it after connecting to WiFi.
Nexus 10 32GB Buttered Manta AOKP 4.3 ROM with KTManta kernel
Dell Streak 7 WiFi Unofficial CM 10.1

bhiga
Old
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
If it updated wouldn't it be build 13300 instead of 12940? I guess somebody could have returned it after connecting to WiFi.
It's possible. Big box stores are not supposed to return opened products to the shelf, but sometimes they miss that it's been opened, or they sell it as an open box.

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
It's possible. Big box stores are not supposed to return opened products to the shelf, but sometimes they miss that it's been opened, or they sell it as an open box.
There was one post here where they were allowed at Best Buy to check some CC to check if they'd flash. How was that done?

bhiga
Old
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
There was one post here where they were allowed at Best Buy to check some CC to check if they'd flash. How was that done?
I read that post yesterday while I was hunting for serials. It was guy4jesuschrist here.

He asked the Geek Squad agent who then asked someone else (likely the manager, as the product would then become an open-box, but perhaps they had space for another floor unit). It's at the manager's discretion, but I suspect most times they would be cool with it, especially if you're a My Best Buy Elite Plus member (formerly RewardZone Silver) because that means you shop there a lot.

Plus at $35 it's not like getting a return of a TV... But again, manager's discretion - and don't abuse the system, you will eventually get flagged for excessive returns.

So find a likely serial first, then check it - and if it works, honor your end of the deal and buy it.

Hmm... I guess for those in "root-dry" areas that are really desperate you might be able to talk a manager into letting you test and buy the display unit at regular price, assuming they used actual units and weren't provided demo/fakes. Or maybe exchange your working but non-rootable unit with the demo unit.

wptski
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
I read that post yesterday while I was hunting for serials. It was guy4jesuschrist here.

He asked the Geek Squad agent who then asked someone else (likely the manager, as the product would then become an open-box, but perhaps they had space for another floor unit). It's at the manager's discretion, but I suspect most times they would be cool with it, especially if you're a My Best Buy Elite Plus member (formerly RewardZone Silver) because that means you shop there a lot.

Plus at $35 it's not like getting a return of a TV... But again, manager's discretion - and don't abuse the system, you will eventually get flagged for excessive returns.

So find a likely serial first, then check it - and if it works, honor your end of the deal and buy it.

Hmm... I guess for those in "root-dry" areas that are really desperate you might be able to talk a manager into letting you test and buy the display unit at regular price, assuming they used actual units and weren't provided demo/fakes. Or maybe exchange your working but non-rootable unit with the demo unit.
Yeah, I found the post as well. I think flagging for excessive returns happens for clothing mostly, women purchase for one occasion and return it!

There wasn't any demo of the CC at my local Best Buy store when I just stopped to see if they had any. I found one 3916 amongst the 3A's which I buried. My nephew has been talking about one but not sure when.

bhiga
Old
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
I think it's both frequency and value figures... the return system does it automatically, so just be mindful. Not to mention returns, especially of non-defective products, hurt the store's numbers.