5,598,779 Members 36,246 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] KOT49H【4.4.2】Google Play Edition - 04-08-2014

Tip us?

Danvdh
Old
(Last edited by Danvdh; 6th January 2014 at 11:59 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 7699

DONATE TO ME
Default [ROM] KOT49H【4.4.2】Google Play Edition - 04-08-2014

GOOGLE EDITION 4.4.2 BY Danvdh, Kryten2k35 & Ktoonsez

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKS, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS POST

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information

This is the latest build for the I9505-G Google Edition S4 official from Google/Samsung, I have made quite a few optimizations to the ROM and added the tools necessary to give it the features (100% working features that is) of an AOSP ROM, Google edition does not use open source proprietary which mean's Bluetooth, and most importantly the camera will work way better out of the box since Samsung builds this ROM (Full HDR support, 1080p video recording, no green lines on the front cam)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features

-Latest 4.4.2 Google Edition
-ART compatible
- No rom branding - I don't flash my name around in the settings menu anywhere, keeping it stock AOSP.
-Rooted
-Stock custom kernel
-App Ops enabled
-Native reboot menu
-Unlocked world phone + all network modes in teleservice
-Kernel d_mesg spam reduced
-Improved CM Autobrightness values, Samsung autobrightness disabled
-Home button lag fixed
-Trinity Colors
-Busybox
-All traces of Samsung removed
-Zip aligned
-Faster scrolling
-Gallery can now delete from ext storage (major bug fix that plagued GPE 4.4.2 stock images)
-Disabled playstore check in
-No extra bloat
-Nova launcher
-Inverted phone app (The way it should have been!)
-Inverted contacts
-Inverted 4.4.2 mms with quick reply (stock mms optional flash)
-Inverted 4.4.2 email from source
-CM weather widget
-Worldwide APN support added
-Battery and performance tweaks
-Fast, Simple and built from a clean 4.4.2 system dump by myself
-Enjoy!!

Don't need all the AOSP goodies and want something closer to Vanilla Android?

Check out VirginROM

Kernel source: here

Installation instructions

This ROM supports ONLY Canadian and T-Mobile variants with unlocked bootloaders! AT&T users must flash Loki doki
I recommend using TWRP 2.5.0.2 as it is proven to have zero issues

-Full wipe
-Flash ROM
-Reboot
*Give the kernel a day or two to settle

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changelog

04/08/2014
-Deodexed this ROM and kept it fully compatible with ART (Believe it or not this fixes some strange issues for me, I think my odex script might break some things? all has been well for me now and I'm not seeing random SystemUI slowdown)
-deleted old google search libs and some koreanime lib, oh and libpinyin is gone too because they are useless (since I've removed their native apps they just sat dormant in the lib folder wasting system space)
-Updated the build.prop
-This has been my daily driver for the last 3 days but today I thought I'd release
-Use new optional zips in the OP. most of them saw an update so just use new ones and don't flash the old

03/29/2014
-Device can now charge while powered off without the 4.4.2 bootloader, thanks @Fenny for the fix
-Updated kernel (compiled with Linaro, stock source)
-Updated the keyboard and TTS

03/27/2014
-Cloudprint fixed (MAJOR bug), grab it from the market
-Updated Google Keyboard in System/app
-Updated Google TTS in System/app
-Updated SU
-Cleaned up some reboot menu code
-Removed xposed, gravitybox, xuimod, get these yourself.
-Made apollo a flashable addon
-Google is now testing 4.4.3, this is a OTA I expect we will get in the next month or two

everything is fully up to date on clean flash

03/22/2014
-Framework-res auto brightness values adjusted, I made the screen a bit brighter without losing much battery power, in fact you won't even notice. I just wanted to bump it up 5 values so we can show off how gorgeous this 1080p AMOLED really is
-Redid contacts, I spent a great deal of time on this and I really think its a much better design then the last invert, Kryten and I talked about it but never did anything about it, I poured in a few hours the other night and came up with something I think looks gorgeous
-SystemUI will now display H+ in the status bar and quicksettings as opposed to just H
-Removed 2 useless build.prop tweaks that remained dormant and do nothing at all on 4.4.2, (they worked on 4.3)
-Updated Gravitybox to 3.0
-now for the bad news, I'm having family issues and need to move back home to support my parents, My mom and dad have hit hard times and I can't see them suffer, My activity on these forums will dwindle a bit since I will need to pound the pavement and make as much money as possible to support my folks so I kindly ask that the community helps each other out with any questions and concerns that may arise in the thread

Note: wait for me to update the battery icon and dark UI optional flashes

03/04/2014
-reverted opensource superuser back to chainfire SuperSU
-to many people having issues on the CM SuperSU and I don't want anymore headaches, this one
proved to work for many months
-I'm taking a vacation, this is about as stable as it gets for the S4

03/02/2014B
-Reverted MMS back to inverted due broken widget, ill bring back the multi theme MMS.apk later
-Added cLock back to the build
-Added stock themed MMS as an optional flash
-dirty flash is most definitely fine if coming from todays earlier build

03/02/2014 *New*
-Added native reboot menu to Google editon (Works on ART!!!)
-Volume buttons can mute the device in the volume panel
-Removed Samsung CABLservice and digitalpensdk from android system
-Added custom Apollo music player
-Re-odexed the entire build to match the new framework
-Battery icon with % enabled is now an optional zip
-Added the ability to disable touchkey lights via android terminal by typing touchkeys after granting terminal SU
-Build.prop updated
*Use the updated mods provided in the OP*]

02/27/2014
-Autobrightness values updated. These are MUCH better indoors, the minimum brightness is now down to 15 from CM's native 20
and the brightness with a lux value of 150 and lower will now be 40 out of a possible 255 (max brightness), Autobrightness will
now do what the feature is supposed to do, save battery
-Added Opensource SU and removed chainfire SU
-- this fixes the "fix root" nag in recovery
-- It's faster debug (ALOT faster)
-- It looks cooler
-- It's integrated right into settings (settings>superuser)
-Enabled battery % for ART users and made sure its clear to read at sub 50%
-Updated MMS from source, it's now white but can be toggled to be inverted via settings
-Updated Google Services Framework
-Build.prop updated
-Google Now Launcher is now available in the market and has been removed from the OP
*Use the updated DarkUI flash zip if you use that option*

02/17/2014
-Unlocked the dialer, we now have a world phone (you will still need to sim unlock if your provider locks it, however this helps travelers)
-Unlocked every network mode available for our modem, (Settings - More - Mobile networks - Preferred network)
-Enabled in call noise suppression (no idea why they didn't include this)
-Disabled CSP from the dialer, we now have full control over the phone and what networks we can choose (might not affect your carrier but this is useful for traveling, trust me)
-Tweaked my indoor auto brightness values, still using too much juice in medium/high indoor light, this is much better
-Enabled app ops in Settings > Security, Take total control of the permissions apps are granted when you install them from google play, VERY useful if you are concerned about privacy or you just don't want some misc app seeing your SMS's or having network permissions
-Added CM file manager to help users setup the ROM faster, This is actually a very nice app with lots of options and it works on ART. it's TINY too!
-Removed the buggy/useless/unsecure/lame/stupid face lock feature
-Updated Gravity box
-Updated build.pop
-The stock white dialer zip will remain locked with only 3 network modes to choose from, sorry
-Also, this ROM is now available for Verizon Wireless Check the Verizon thread for more details

02/08/2014B
-Flash this if you are on my previous release from today
-Fixed date picker in contacts
-Enjoy

02/08/2014
*users on 02/06/2014 can flash this, (wipe caches and flash in recovery), no need to update the full ROM*
-Improved CM Autobrightness
-Updated SuperSU
-Updated build.prop
-Use updated DarkUI, disable S-VIEW and Disable S-view + DarkUI zips

02/06/2014
-Fixed home button lag
-Disabled double tap for recents menu
-recents is now back to S4 standard of long press home
-Disabled Samsung Autobrightness (horrible)
-Enabled Stock Autobrightness with CM Autobrightness values (this took some research but I pulled it off without breaking ART) - This will result in massive battery savings
-Gravity box should now be able to control auto brightness values
-Removed Google search from system/priv-app for 2 reasons, 1) its out of date and 2) I actually prefer it as a user app, makes it easier to hibernate with greenify for non-premium users
-Removed Google earth libs, hangouts and chrome libs out of the system/lib folder
-the ROM is very light now, and this is easily my best release yet. I feel like I have really mastered the GPE now
-Updated Gravitybox
-Updated build.pro
*DO NOT FLASH DARK UI ZIPS OR THE DISABLE S-VOICE ZIP, USE THE UPDATED ZIPS*

02/01/2014
-Phone will no longer wake when menu and back are touched when you lock your device
-the fix was in /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl, had to remove a few "WAKE_DROPPED" lines, credit to jimbju for pointing this out
-updated build.prop
-Here is WatchON for 4.4.2
-users on 01/30/2014 can flash this (wipe caches, flash the zip and reboot)

01/30/2014
-Fixed dialer settings theme
-Odexed googledialer.apk
-no need to flash this if you are on 01/28/2014, you can flash this small zip instead

01/28/2014
-Updated SU
-Updated GravityBox
-Black txt on black header in recent calls menu via clicking contact number to view history is fixed, the contact name is now visible
-Googledialer no longer has an odex, rebased the whole theme on a clean APK from the stock system dump
-I can confirm the call waiting tone is INTENDED and not a bug, I can also confirm the other party can not hear the tone of a call coming in
-Enjoy, going back to S3 development, I just wanted to get this build out because I cleaned flashed it on my own phone tonight

01/23/2014
-Updated build.prop date
-Disabled screen wake on plug in/unplug
-CM brightness values
-Added an flashable extra to disable s-view from the ROM entirely (some ppl have sensor issues)
-Updated DarkUI optional zip (must flash the new one)

01/23/2014
-Updated Super SU
-Updated Google play services
-Updated Google Search
-Updated Gravity Box
-Removed a useless build.prop line
-Contacts is back and looks great
-4.4.2 email reply button is now white (was black on black)
-4.4.2 MMS numberpicker is now readable

01/16/2014
-Updated SU binary
-Updated Gravitybox
-Updated Busybox
-Reverted bionic binary
-Foldermount 100% fixed
-Reverted contacts to stock
-Build.prop tweaks reworked
-Disabled ROM+Kernel debug logging (this works well with our kernel )
-The ultimate clean up build
-Had to do this one guys, this is from 5 days of comparing/testing

01/11/2014
-Shipped KT-stock with clean 4.4.2 official google edition ramdisk
-Foldermount confirmed working with this kernel change
-White on white in contacts landscape mode fixed, reodexed and tested on ART
-MMS send image on quick reply change from white on white to grey
-Once again, I will have a incremental zip file for users on 1/08/2014 so they do not need to flash the full ROM
-See you all next time there is an OTA from google

01/09/2014
-Fixed teleservice.apk for ART (Themed and 100% working )
-Removed the AOSP browser (still not ready to be baked in, needs some more work)
-users on 01/09/2014 hang tight, releasing a small zip for you guys, this build is for newer users

01/08/2014
-4.4.2 MMS from source, themed with quick reply now works on ART
-Fixed a pretty big bug from Google left in GE, Ext storage permissions in mediaprovider are fixed
-Gallery back in the build!
-Fixed voicemail settings theme issue in our inverted phone app
-Gallery can now delete from ext storage, credit to broodplank, his changes were implemented into GE
-Inverted 4.4.2 email built from source
-Added in the 4.4.2 CM Calculator - way more features!
-4.4.2 AOSP browser included (works on ART and find on page fixed) - this APK is solid again
-Gravitybox updated
-Boot animation is now way smoother, added custom bootanimation support!

Download

Download the build here
md5: 4e3c49ee10980e5afcd3751c832eea08

*IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING DATA DROPS YOU NEED TO FLASH THE 4.3 MODEM.BIN, USE THE SEARCH TOOL AND FLASH THE ONE FOR YOU'RE VARIANT IN ODIN, THIS IS NOT A ROM ISSUE!*

4.3 Jellybean GPE (Updated 02/01/2014!!!) here
-Updated Kernel to 01/31/2014 from ktoonsez
-Disabled the back and menu button wake when locking the device
-Updated SU
-Updated Busybox
-Updated Gravitybox
-Updated other stuff
-Native reboot menu
-Added a custom user themeable MMS
-Latest AOSP browser from source
-4.4 inverted email from source
-SystemUI 1% batterymod (if you want stock just select it in gravitybox)

Optional Downloads

Stock themed MMS with quick reply

WatchON for 4.4.2

Stock dialer and contacts (White theme) - *THIS IS NOT WORLD UNLOCKED like the inverted provided in the ROM

Stock 4.4.2 email from source (no theme) -

DarkUI- This will replace the gradient in settings and other system apps with a solid black background - updated 03/02/2014 - Updated 03/22/2014

Native battery icon % enabled - This will show a black percentage inside of the stock white battery, I've made sure it's very clear and readable even when the battery drops below 50% Updated 03/22/2014

Apollo music player - In my opinion the lightest and best *FREE* music player there is for Android, I've odexed this apk for speed on dalvik, simply flash in recovery

KT Stock kernel - Stock source, compiled with linaro and kernel d_msg spam reduced for speed, works with foldermound

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Credits

Google
CM Team - CLocK
ktoonsez - One fantastic kernel
mrvirginia
rovo89 - Xposed
C3C076 - Gravitybox
XDA
MJHawaii - Clean 4.3 base + mount ports
dsixda - Android Kitchen
Kryten2k35 - Themes
Jimbju - Menu/back wake annoyance fix
Faux123 - This guy is the man
AT&T Galaxy S3 Forums - For getting me into Android Development

If you would like to support me, Donate here I've spent countless hours on my projects with many sleepless nights. Donations are appreciated and keep me motivated

Please do not use any part of this ROM without permission, I will never say no if you simply ask

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM]KOT49H【4.4.2】Google Edition, a ROM for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
Danvdh
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
Based On: Google Edition

Version Information

Created 2013-11-22
Last Updated 2014-04-08
If you would like to support me, Donate here I've spent countless hours on my projects with many sleepless nights. Donations are appreciated and keep me motivated

Need help? Follow me on twitter and and I will answer any ROM or Android questions.

The Following 119 Users Say Thank You to Danvdh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Danvdh
Old
(Last edited by Danvdh; 5th February 2014 at 03:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7699

DONATE TO ME
Q&A

Why can't charge my phone with the device off?

A: This is a bootloader issue and is fixed if you upgrade to a knox 4.4.2 bootloader (I never recommend flashing a leak though)

Q:Why can't I mute the phone by holding volume down?

A: I've disabled the adjustment sound in framework-res by changing a false value to true, this gets removed aswell but the volume up/down
sound is so loud and distorted I had to remove it by default for ART users, that amount of distortion can't be good for any speaker, this is a bug
from google/samsuck that I've hidden you can notice it a bit on the first press of the dial pad if you have dial sounds on but it's not nearly
as loud and annoying

Q: I keep losing data

A: Flash a 4.3 modem.bin, search anyone of my threads

Q: Does bluetooth work on this ROM?

A: yes but it's pretty much impossible to support all of the hundreds of thousands of devices on the market though

Q: Does the IR blaster work?

A: Yes, WatchON even works and is a optional flash in the OP

Q: Why does the call waiting sound like a outgoing call?

A: Ask Google/samsung, I had nothing to do with this

Q: What do I do when I get an OTA message?

A: Check the forums to see if I have a copy of it If I do, you can delete it in /cache and then goto the update screen, it will count down from 10
and the phone won't reboot, if you manually reboot now the OTA nag will be gone forever

Q: Can I use the touchwiz camera on this ROM?

A: no, but the official camera drivers are here so the quality of the AOSP camera is as good as its going to get, I personally recommend Snap Cam HDR though,
I will never use the stock cam again

Q: Shazam doesn't work, why is this?

A: Samsung/google broke something or Shazam just hasn't updated for our kernel source, no idea but the reason the app gives is not accurate, the mic is not always
in use. Soundhound does the same thing and works fine

Q: Do you build from source

A: Yes, but not google edition ROMs, I compile CM for my Nexus 7. It is impossible to build GPE from source

Q: I get a status 7 error when flashing in recovery

A: chances are you on a newer philz, I haven't added support for that yet because the masses use older recoveries/TWRP. if it isn't broke, why "fix" it?

Does smart watch work with this ROM?

A: Yes but minimal support, I don't own a watch so I can't say for certain.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xposed + Gravity box

it's not a surprise to me anymore when I visit the XDA website and a spotlight on an xposed module is featured, ever wonder why that is? because it's just that good!

--- Date&Time settings crash
--- Caller ID mismatch
--- Split conversation in messaging
--- Wakelock in calendar app periodically turning on the screen
--- Waelock in messaging app turning on the screen every time new message arrives
--- Missing TTS settings in Language&Input
--- Missing extended developer options

Mods - the set of additional useful features that make using the system more easy and fun
--- CyanogenMod Pie controls
--- Expanded Desktop
--- Statusbar QuickSettings tile management with tile reordering
--- Lockscreen targets
--- Statusbar color and transparency
--- Statusbar Brightness Control
--- Statusbar icon colors
--- Additional QuickSettings tiles:
------- Sync on/off, WiFi AP on/off, GravityBox shortcut, Torch, Network mode (2G/3G/2G+3G switch), Sleep, QuickRecord,
QuickApp, GPS on/off, Ringer mode, Volume tile
--- Quick pulldown - switches to QuickSettings when status bar is pulled down near edges
--- Auto-switch to QuickSettings when there are no notifications
--- Center clock in statusbar
--- Battery indicator style
--- Navigation bar tweaks
--- Low battery warning policy
--- Disable LED flashing when battery low
--- Disable LED while charging
--- Auto-hiding of signal icons for empty SIM Slots
--- Advanced power-off menu (reboot, recovery)
--- Volume key cursor control
--- Skip tracks by volume key long-press while screen off (thanks to rovo89)
--- More volume levels for music stream
--- Option to control safe headset media volume
--- Button for clearing all recent tasks at once
--- Fullscreen caller photo
--- CRT screen off animation
--- Minimal brightness setting
--- Autobrihtness levels adjustment
--- Lockscreen tweaks - show widgets maximized, lockscreen background style (color fill, custom image)
--- Lockscreen rotation
--- Phone tweaks - flip action, disable vibrate on call connect
--- Hardware key actions - menu long-press/double-tap, back long-press, home long-press
--- MasterKey vulnerabilities patched (thanks to @Tungstwenty)
--- Dithered Holo background
--- Option to use solid black Holo background
--- Expandable volume panel
--- Option to unlink ringtone and notifications volumes
--- Notification drawer style (background color, image for portait/landscape, transparency)
--- Button backlight modes (default, disabled, always on while screen is on)
--- Button backlight notifications (for devices that lack Notification LED)

Some items may not function properly but who cares? this module is always getting updated and fixes are implemented on a regular, best part is you can update right from the xposed installer this ROM provides

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Save those hardware buttons! Use LMT Launcher

Lets face it, the more you press that home button the faster the flex cable is going to malfunction, one thing you can do is find some sort of gesture launcher, LMT launcher is free, frequently updated and offers a ton of customization. 1 swipe up from the bottom and I can 1) turn the screen off 2) home button 3) multitask 4)quick settings 5)notification panel

my pie
pie 1 - key - 26 (this turns off screen)
pie 2 - home
pie 3 - key- 187 (this enables multitasking menu without graphical glitch using non root method)
pie4 - notification pulldown
pie5 - quicksettings

view the thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1330150

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help? Follow me on twitter and and I will answer any ROM or Android questions.

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Danvdh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mattwheat
Old
Thanks Meter 84
I love gravity box. Good idea.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

wcoast
Old
Thanks Meter 372
Looks good mate

saj222
Old
(Last edited by saj222; 22nd November 2013 at 03:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 124
You're here Dan! Awesome-sauce! :thumbup::beer:

How are you doing? I heard that tubthumping song the other day and thought of you.
Current: Samsung Galaxy S4
Current: Sony Xperia Tablet Z (32 GB)
Old: Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Hero

Danvdh
Old
Thanks Meter 7699

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by saj222 View Post
You're here Dan! Awesome-sauce! :thumbup::beer:

How are you doing? I heard that tubthumping song the other day and thought of you.
doing quite well Just wanted to get the OP sorted out

I'm excited for kitkat GE

@ AT&T users, I will upload a version for you tonight

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Danvdh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wenzhpz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Another positive change.

neo4uo
Old
Thanks Meter 150
Welcome to the ATT side and thanks for your contribution!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 - Crack Flashing Everything/Everyday
Nvidia Shield - Straight up stock and Loving it

Samsung Galaxy Tab - [BRICKED]
Motorola Droid 1 - SteelDroid [RETIRED]
HTC Evo 3D 4G - [RETIRED]
Nexus 7 -Stock - [CRACKED]
Galaxy Nexus, Droid Bionic, Samsung Fascinate, Asus Transformer TF101 - [SOLD/GONE/STOLEN]
\oo/

KINGDROID25
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Pumped abt the att release can't wait to flash

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Danvdh
Old
(Last edited by Danvdh; 22nd November 2013 at 09:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7699

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGDROID25 View Post
Pumped abt the att release can't wait to flash

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
should be good, just had to verify some things, I've thoroughly tested this build and its sweet. I'll post my kernel settings tomorrow .

follow install instructions in the OP, AT&T users must flash loki doki assuming the bootloader lets them, please provide feedback.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Danvdh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]