Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,052 Members 46,288 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] Save Google Play Music to External SD

Tip us?

joeybear23
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 441
Info 2 [HOW TO] Save Google Play Music to External SD

Google Music is great, but by default it wants to save all your music onto your internal SD, which in my case is way too small. I have over 30 GB of music that I keep on my phone and I want it synchronized with GooglePlay.

So the way we make this work is we create a link from the internal music storage folder to one on the external SD.
Some root browsers/explorers call this a "shortcut" but I use Root Explorer v3, which in my opinion is much easier.
You must have root to do this.

First, use Root Explorer to go into your external SD and create a folder, you can call it whatever you like. I used "GoogleMusic"
Next, create a folder underneath it called "files" and then long-press on it and choose the option to "link to this folder"
Next, browse to the Google Music internal storage directory (/data/data/com.google.android.music/files) and delete it (you may want to move the files to your new "files" directory first)
Then, click on the "create link" button to link to the files directory on your external SD.

Works like a charm for me.

Keep in mind these MP3s will be stored using Google's numeric naming convention, so they will really only be useful for Google Music. If you want to use the files for other players you can remove the .nomedia file from the directory with the MP3s in it.

Most of my info cam from a good write-up here on how to do it on an S3 running CM10:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...l-sd-card.html
SGS4
Rooted MK2

↙ Please click THANKS below if I was at all helpful
The Following User Says Thank You to joeybear23 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nerdrock
Old
Thanks Meter 6
For the notoriously lazy such as myself, another method of getting it done is to use the Xposed framework module Music2SD.
Your method works great, as I've done it in the past, but for compulsive rom-switchers, the framework method is way quicker. This is still a nice writeup.