23rd November 2013, 09:34 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto, Canada
Thanks Meter: 11,662

4,568 posts
Donate to Me
More
GOOGLE EDITION 4.4.4 by Danvdh, Kryten2k35 & Ktoonsez

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKS, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS POST

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information

This is the latest build for the I9505-G Google Edition S4 official from Google/Samsung, I have made quite a few optimizations to the ROM and added the tools necessary to give it the features (100% working features that is) of an AOSP ROM, Google edition does not use open source proprietary which mean's Bluetooth, and most importantly the camera will work way better out of the box since Samsung builds this ROM (Full HDR support, 1080p video recording, no green lines on the front cam)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features

Customized Edition
This build is packed with a few more features and goodies that I personally prefer over Vanilla Android, It's very important to note that inverted apps save a great deal of battery on our AMOLED screens and Nova Launcher is in my opinion the best launcher available for Android, I've also given the ROM a very powerful free filemanager and some CM cLock goodness, The MMS, Contacts, Email app, Phone app are all themed nicely, if this doesn't suit you check out Pure Nexus Edition for something very Vanilla in flavor.

-Latest 4.4.4 Google Edition (Extremely clean ROM base made by me)
- No rom branding - I don't flash my name around in the settings menu anywhere, keeping it stock AOSP.
-Rooted
-Busybox
-Deodexed
-Zip aligned
-Stock kernel
-H+/H icon working as intended
-AOSP browser
-Ad blocking
-Reboot menu (4 way reboot)
-App ops enabled
-Superuser integrated into settings menu
-AOSP Manual brightness values (minimum brightness of 10 (down from 40) available on the slider)
-AOSP Auto brightness values (Samsung auto brightness disabled)
-removed home button lag
-Worldwide APN support
-All network modes enabled
-ART compatible
-Inverted mms with quick reply (stock mms optional flash)
-Carbon phone app / contacts
-Inverted email
-All optional google playstore apps/libs removed for the lightest possible ROM
-Nova launcher (lightest launcher available, lots of features, only 3mb!)
-cLock
-CM filemanager
-Fast, Simple and built from a clean 4.4.4 system dump by myself
-Enjoy!!

Pure Nexus Edition

A pure vanilla Android experience, This build is for users looking for as close to stock AOSP as possible. This build comes with the Google Now Launcher as default. This build is kept up to date along with my other ROM and any optional flash from the OP is 100% compatible. Every app included into the build is stock themed

-Latest 4.4.4 Google Edition (Extremely clean ROM base made by me)
-Rooted
-Busybox
-Stock kernel
-Deodexed
-Zip aligned
-H+/H icon working as intended
-AOSP browser
-Ad blocking
-Reboot menu (4 way reboot)
-App ops enabled
-Superuser integrated into settings menu
-CM Manual brightness values (minimum brightness of 10 (down from 40) available on the slider
-Improved CM Auto brightness values (Samsung auto brightness disabled)
-removed home button lag
-Worldwide APN support
-All network modes enabled
-ART compatible
-Google edition gallery can now delete from ext storage
-All optional Google play store apps/libs removed for the lightest possible ROM
-Google Now Launcher
-Fast, Simple and built from a clean 4.4.4 system dump by myself
-Enjoy!!

Installation instructions

I only support the latest TWRP recovery, AT&T users must loki after flashing

-Full wipe
-Flash ROM
-Reboot

INTL I9505 DEVICES SHOULD USE A CUSTOM GE KERNEL TO PREVENT RANDOM REBOOTS
Googy kernel (closer to stock can be found here)
Ktoonsez kernel (tons of original development) can be downloaded here

Changelog

post #2

Download

Android 4.4.4

Download the Customized Edition here
md5:9823c523ac7b6e13a3ad6a31ec0f4b41

Download Pure Nexus Edition here
md5:9a0e0d273f48b67a77b8858963007d5c

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optional Downloads (4.4.4 only)

Stock themed MMS with quick reply

Stock 4.4 email from source (no theme)

DarkUI - This will turn the settings black/gray gradient solid black and any app that calls for this background from the framework-res

Battery % enabled - Enabled the stock icon, I've made it easy to read

Screenshot

GravityBox Settings shortcut (Interface) - This will create a sharp looking Interface option that will embed GravityBox right into Settings for quicker access (Xposed + Gravitybox must be installed and activated)

Screenshot

Dialers

Stock Inverted
Carbon
Carbon Holo (Ships with ROM)
Holo Blue
Stock

Screenshots
Stock Inverted

Carbon

Holo Blue

Contacts

Holo Blue
Carbon
Carbon Holo (Ships with ROM)
Stock

Screenshots
Holo Blue

Carbon

Carbon Holo

If you would like to support me, Donate here I've spent countless hours on my projects with many sleepless nights. Donations are appreciated and keep me motivated

Please do not use any part of this ROM without permission, I will never say no if you just ask!

XDA:DevDB Information
Google Edition 4.4.x, ROM for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
Danvdh
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
Based On: Google Edition

Version Information

Created 2013-11-23
Last Updated 2014-08-30
Last edited by Danvdh; 6th December 2013 at 07:14 PM.
The Following 207 Users Say Thank You to Danvdh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd November 2013, 09:34 AM   |  #2  
Flag Toronto, Canada

4,568 posts
Donate to Me
More
08/30/2014
-gmscore/search bug fixed (reverted)
-updated Nova Launcher
-updated build.prop
-dirty flash is fine (wipe caches, flash, reboot)

08/19/2014
-Added Pure Nexus build to North American threads (Read OP for more details)
-Added light weight AOSP browser
-"Find on page" string fixed and working with all languages
-Updated Google play services
-Updated Playstore
-Updated Google Keyboard
-Updated Calculator
-Updated Host file (ad blocking)
-Updated apns.conf to add more support out of the box for European carriers
-Updated CM file manager
-Updated weather widget
-Updated Googe now launcher (Pure Nexus builds only)
-Updated Google Search (Pure Nexus build only)
-Updated build.prop
-ALL builds including INTL are shipping with stock kernel, flash your own GE kernel as the ones I provide go out of date rather quickly and flashing custom
over stock is always the cleanest way to go about it, I don't have the time to be uploading 6 builds everytime I release an update.

*does not effect AT&T, T-mo, Telus, Rogers, Bell and other North American providers*

enjoy you're phone folks, I spent my entire day off preparing this update for you and uploading so I hope you enjoy it we are getting closer and closer to Android L and I am 100% devoted into getting that onto our phones with the same quality you can expect from this ROM

thanks for the support to all who donated, you are helping me through through tough times and if I couldn't email you personally to thank you please accept this as my personal thanks

07/17/2014
-Updated Superuser
-Updated Novalauncher
-Updated Google Play Services
-Updated Google Keyboard
-Fixed Boot animation lag
-Updated to latest Nexus boot animation
-Updated cLock widget
-Updated Google Camera
-Genie Widget (Weather and news app) removed
-Google Street removed (get it from the Play Store)
-Added new optional flash for Interface Settings (Gravity box embedded into Settings)
-Updated build.prop
-Everything is up to date, if you enjoy this ROM please consider a donation to help out with real life stuff!

06/27/2014
-Lockscreen unlock ring in now centered (Great one Samsung/Google!) This is now fixed for you guys, the problem was in keyguard.apk and I fixed the derp they shipped.
-Updated google play services
-Enabled touchkey light control for ART users, simply type SU in terminal and then type touchkeys
-Updated build.prop

You can probably just wipe caches and flash this update, but if you experience anything please full wipe before you start posting in my threads, I think it's only fair as I full wipe when I test everything I do for you guys, that's sometimes 3-4 times a development day. With this being said I have no further updates planned unless something comes up again, this update was mainly to address the unlock ring not being centered on the lockscreen. Very minor....

You can probably just wipe caches and flash this update, but if you experience anything please full wipe before you start posting in my threads, I think it's only fair as I full wipe when I test everything I do for you guys, that's sometimes 3-4 times a development day. With this being said I have no further updates planned unless something comes up again, this update was mainly to address the unlock ring not being centered on the lockscreen. Very minor....

06/25/2014
*use the updated flashable addons*
-Rebased everything I had going on in 4.4.3 into 4.4.4, this was a royal pain but it had to be done, I've smashed this project yet again with 4 straight hours of development, helps when you're organized and ready for surprises like this, No features are missing from 4.4.3 and the addons received an update too, I need a beer now. phew

06/24/2014
*use the updated DarkUI zip if you use this feature*
-Autobrightness adjusted, I upped the values so mostly everyone should be happy, the screen is no longer too dark but does a good job saving power too
-Home button long press vibration and touchkey button vibration smoothed out, should give the perfect amount of haptic feedback when this option is enabled
-Updated build.prop
-Last 4.4.3 release, stay tuned 4.4.4 whenever they decide to give us that

06/18/2014
*Use the updated DarkUI flash zip if you use this feature*
-Updated Superuser to the much awaited 2.0
-Updated build.prop to reflect today's date without branding the ROM
-Updated to the new CM autobrightness (will fix random brightness jumps aswell)
this http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/63...ues/config.xml has been tested by me and provides much better autobrightness

this will help battery life a great deal as you can see here, it's well tested by the guys at CM, they have been working on perfecting autobrightness for well over a month now for this device, I'm very happy with the results of these changes
special thanks to @hawkerpaul for pointing this out to me in the CM repo

06/08/2014
-Vibration intensity reduced on back/menu/hold home haptic feedback, was way overkill with stock values
-H+ icon will now show when H+ is available, H will show otherwise
-Superuser updated to latest
-Framework-res translation for the clock app is fixed, Ringtone array is flawless now in all languages (Samsung/Google derp fixed
-Dialer is now Carbon Holo
-Contacts is now Carbon Holo
-Novalauncher updated
-Optional flash for the battery icon got an update
-Framework-res ringtone translation fixed across all languages
-App ops enabled in Settings
-Tons of new flashable dialers/contacts themes for you to enjoy in the optional section

06/06/2014
-"Carrier Settings" in settings removed, this appeared when I world unlocked the dialer for you folks, it's gone now because it FC'd and we are not suppose to have it
-Samsung missed a string in the ringtone/notification selection array, Default Ringtone should be "None", this is now fixed

Note: Samsung watchON and other IR apps are not working in 4.4.3, however the IR functions fine with smart IR remote for me so the IR is not actually broken, you just need updated apps

Dirty flash is acceptable, small update

06/04/2014c
-WiFi DHCP fixed
-Teleservice unlocked (We can now change to all available network modes)
-Added CM filemanager by ktoonsez request for quick phone setup
-CRT disabled in favor of the fade effect, much nicer on the eyes and better on battery life
-Don't expect a million updates like 4.4.2, I was well prepared for 4.4.3 and all my features/fixes from 4.4.2 are in this build

Code:
06/04/2014
-Rebased everything below on 4.4.3,  I was prepared for this one so it's all here in the first build ;) (Except dialer mods/theme)
-7 hours straight on this tonight, RAWR!!!
-ermm insert random stuff here because the changelog is to small
-more stuff
-even more stuff
-enjoy!

Note: If i9505 devices still reboot on the stock kernel I provide with this ROM, Don't worry ktoonsez already has the fix along with the other kernel developers, their current versions will actually boot this ROM at this time

05/19/2014
-Contacts clear field image is now visible, was black on black
-Updated the official Google Camera and binary's into the system
-Menu will no longer unlock the phone from the lock screen if no password is set
-Small framework edit, cleaned up some code regarding the volume panel, nothing you will notice
-Updated build.prop
-Updated kernel (I've heard VERY good feedback on this release)
-Removed CM weather widget and made it an optional flash (apparently creates wakelocks for ppl who don't use it?)
-Everything up to date on a clean flash, no market updates required :)
*No more releases, all necessary changes are documented and I cannot wait until 4.4.3 so I can have you guys a ROM
asap*

04/08/2014
-Deodexed this ROM and kept it fully compatible with ART (Believe it or not this fixes some strange issues for me, I think my odex script might break some things? all has been well for me now and I'm not seeing random SystemUI slowdown)
-deleted old google search libs and some koreanime lib, oh and libpinyin is gone too because they are useless (since I've removed their native apps they just sat dormant in the lib folder wasting system space)
-Updated the build.prop
-Updated GoogleTTS and Keyboard again
-Updated kernel (battery drain is gone)
-Use new optional zips in the OP. most of them saw an update so just use new ones and don't flash the old

03/28/2014
-Cloudprint fixed (MAJOR bug), grab it from the market
-Updated Google Keyboard in System/app
-Updated Google TTS in System/app
-Updated SU
-Cleaned up some reboot menu code
-Removed xposed, gravitybox, xuimod, get these yourself.
-Made apollo a flashable addon
-Google is now testing 4.4.3, this is a OTA I expect we will get in the next month or two
-Updated kernel
*Phone can charge while the device is off now on old bootloaders,  thank you to @fenny for the code*

everything is fully up to date on clean flash

03/24/2014
*DarkUI and Battery icon optional zips got a update this build, if you use these features please use the latest optional zip*
-Framework-res auto brightness values adjusted, I made the screen a bit brighter without losing much battery power, in fact you won't even notice. I just wanted to bump it up 5 values so we can show off how gorgeous this 1080p AMOLED really is
-Redid contacts, I spent a great deal of time on this and I really think its a much better design then the last invert, Kryten and I talked about it but never did anything about it, I poured in a few hours the other night and came up with something I think looks gorgeous
-SystemUI will now display H+ in the status bar and quicksettings as opposed to just H
-Removed 2 useless build.prop tweaks that remained dormant and do nothing at all on 4.4.2, (they worked on 4.3)
-Updated Gravitybox to 3.0
-Updated kernel
-now for the bad news, I'm having family issues and need to move back home to support my parents, My mom and dad have hit hard times and I can't see them suffer, My activity on these forums will dwindle a bit since I will need to pound the pavement and make as much money as possible to support my folks so I kindly ask that the community helps each other out with any questions and concerns that may arise in the thread

03/04/2014
-Added native reboot menu to Google editon (Works on ART!!!)
-Volume buttons can mute the device in the volume panel
-Removed Samsung CABLservice and digitalpensdk from android system
-Added custom Apollo music player
-Re-odexed the entire build to match the new framework
-Battery icon with % enabled is now an optional zip
-Added the ability to disable touchkey lights via android terminal by typing touchkeys after granting terminal SU (ART users)
-Reverted MMS back to inverted due broken widget, ill bring back the multi theme MMS.apk later
-Added stock themed MMS as an optional flash
-reverted opensource superuser back to chainfire SuperSU
-to many people having issues on the CM SuperSU and I don't want anymore headaches, this one
proved to work for many months
-I'm taking a vacation, this is about as stable as it gets for the S4
-Build.prop updated
*USE THE UPDATED MODS IN THE OP*

02/27/2014
-Autobrightness values updated. These are MUCH better indoors, the minimum brightness is now down to 15 from CM's native 20
and the brightness with a lux value of 150 and lower will now be 40 out of a possible 255 (max brightness), Autobrightness will
now do what the feature is supposed to do, save battery
-Added Opensource SU and removed chainfire SU
-- this fixes the "fix root" nag in recovery
-- It's faster debug (ALOT faster)
-- It looks cooler
-- It's integrated right into settings (settings>superuser)
-Enabled battery % for ART users and made sure its clear to read at sub 50%
-Updated MMS from source, it's now white but can be toggled to be inverted via settings 
-Updated Google Services Framework
-Build.prop updated
-updated kernel to kt 02/24/2014
 --WIFI driver update
 --Sound driver updates
-Google Now Launcher is now available in the market and has been removed from the OP
*Use the updated DarkUI in the optional section if you use this feature*

02/18/2014
-Unlocked the dialer, we now have a world phone (you will still need to sim unlock if your provider locks it, however this helps travelers)
-Unlocked every network mode available for our modem, (Settings - More - Mobile networks - Preferred network)
-Enabled in call noise suppression (no idea why they didn't include this)
-Disabled CSP from the dialer, we now have full control over the phone and what networks we can choose (might not affect your carrier but this is useful for traveling, trust me)
-Tweaked my indoor auto brightness values, still using too much juice in medium/high indoor light, this is much better
-Enabled app ops in Settings > Security, Take total control of the permissions apps are granted when you install them from google play, VERY useful if you are concerned about privacy or you just don't want some misc app seeing your SMS's or having network permissions  
-Added CM file manager to help users setup the ROM faster, This is actually a very nice app with lots of options and it works on ART. it's TINY too!
-Removed the buggy/useless/unsecure/lame/stupid face lock feature
-Updated Gravity box
-Updated build.pop
*DO NOT FLASH ANY MODS UNTIL I UPDATE THEM*
*Stock edition had very low downloads, I have discontinued that build, all you have to do now is uninstall xposed and its modules like any other app

02/08/2014B
-Flash this if you are on my previous release from today (no need to install the full build, this change is very small, the main build is updated for new users to the ROM however :) )
-Fixed date picker in contacts
-Enjoy

02/08/2014
*users on 02/06/2014 can flash this,  (wipe caches and flash in recovery),  no need to update the full ROM*
-Improved CM Autobrightness
-Updated SuperSU
-Updated build.prop
-Use updated DarkUI, disable S-VIEW and Disable S-view + DarkUI zips
-Enjoy!!!

02/06/2014
*Recommend a full wipe, many changes have been implemented
-Updated Kernel
-Fixed home button lag
-Disabled double tap for recents menu
-recents is now back to S4 standard of long press home
-Disabled Samsung Autobrightness (horrible)
-Enabled Stock Autobrightness with CM Autobrightness values (this took some research but I pulled it off without breaking ART) - This will result in massive battery savings
-Gravity box should now be able to control auto brightness values
-Removed Google search from system/priv-app for 2 reasons, 1) its out of date and 2) I actually prefer it as a user app, makes it easier to hibernate with greenify for non-premium users
-Removed Google earth libs, hangouts and chrome libs out of the system/lib folder
-the ROM is very light now, comes in at less then 300mb 
-Updated Gravitybox
-Updated build.prop
-This is the most polished google edition available. I proudly support all 3 variants of the Galaxy S4 and I hope the international community appreciates this hard work ;)
*DO NOT FLASH DARK UI ZIP OR THE DISABLE S-VOICE ZIP, USE THE UPDATED ZIPS AS THE OLD ONES ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH SOME CHANGES I MADE* 

02/01/2014
-Updated Kernel
-Phone will no longer wake when menu and back are touched when you lock your device
-the fix was in /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl, had to remove a few "WAKE_DROPPED" lines, credit to jimbju for pointing this out
-updated build.prop
-Here is WatchON for 4.4.2 

01/30/2014
-Updated stock launcher on stock edition
-Updated Kernel
-GPU updates
-Fixed Dialer settings theme
-Re-odexed the googledialer.apk for speed
-everything up to date now, missed some theme details on the last update
-dirty flash should be fine if coming from the previous build. (wipe caches though)

01/28/2014
-Updated SU
-Updated GravityBox
-Black txt on black header in recent calls menu via clicking contact number to view history is fixed, the contact name is now visible
-Googledialer no longer has an odex, rebased the whole theme on a clean APK from the stock system dump
-Stock launcher from source now included in the Stock Edition, GEL is an optional flash as the stock launcher is much snappier and only 1.5mb
-Development is now closed on 4.4.2, I will be right back at it with @kryten2k35, @ktoonsez when we get another OTA from google
-No reported bugs on this ROM, I support 3 variants and know everything is functioning 100%, this has been a big project ;)

01/23/2014
-Updated DarkUI optional zip (must flash the new one)
-Updated Gravitybox
-Updated ktoonsez kernel
Change Log 01.23.2014
1. Stop charging from obeying Fade mode by default
2. LEDs: Add tunable to set led fade mode while charging. Cycling cable to take effect is required.
Last edited by Danvdh; 30th August 2014 at 11:09 PM.
The Following 61 Users Say Thank You to Danvdh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd November 2013, 09:38 AM   |  #3  
Flag Toronto, Canada

4,568 posts
Donate to Me
More
Credits

Google
CM Team - CLocK
ktoonsez - One fantastic kernel
mrvirginia
rovo89 - Xposed
C3C076 - Gravitybox
XDA
MJHawaii - Clean 4.3 base + mount ports
dsixda - Android Kitchen
Kryten2k35 - Themes
Jimbju - Menu/back wake annoyance fix
Faux123 - This guy is the man
AT&T Galaxy S3 Forums - For getting me into Android Development
Last edited by Danvdh; 8th June 2014 at 05:59 AM.
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to Danvdh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd November 2013, 09:50 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 135

597 posts
More
Nice to see you over here in the s4 forums finally dan!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
23rd November 2013, 01:45 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 8

89 posts
SuperSU not working. Says no binaries installed.

The rest of the instructions don't work because of no SuperSU.
23rd November 2013, 01:59 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 39

715 posts
Everything working here .. clean install ..
Question .. how do I customize the toggles .. no option to organize them
23rd November 2013, 02:45 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 29

113 posts
Toggles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_on184

Everything working here .. clean install ..
Question .. how do I customize the toggles .. no option to organize them

GravityBox/Statusbar tweaks/QuickSettings Management/Tile reordering. And you got it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pomacat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd November 2013, 06:44 PM   |  #8  
Flag pearland
Thanks Meter: 24

90 posts
More
Awesome ROM!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
23rd November 2013, 10:32 PM   |  #9  
Flag Raleigh, NC
Thanks Meter: 52

202 posts