5,593,248 Members 32,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Looking for Volunteers to Open their NST without Glowlight

Tip us?

RandyB201
Old
(Last edited by RandyB201; 31st August 2013 at 04:06 PM.) Reason: additional info
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Question [Q] Looking for Volunteers to Open their NST without Glowlight

For those of you who do not know, I am on a mission to build Android 2.2 for the Nook Simple Touch.

Bill Detweiler at Techreports did tear downs of the Simple Touch and the Simple Touch with Glowlight.

In his review of the Glowlight he mentions several chips that he does not mention in his review of the regular Simple Touch. It is not clear whether they are not present in the regular NST or whether they are just not mentioned.

I am a complete Klutz, and opening my NST would almost certainly be a disaster, LOL. I am looking for a couple people willing to pop open their NST without Glow and see if the following chips are or are not on the motherboard:

Chip Markings:
  • CKP TI A3T9
  • Texas Instruments BQ27520 System-Side Impedance Track Fuel Gauge
  • Texas Instruments 2624I
  • Texas Instruments YE04 18K G4 A919
Added question 08/31/2013: It would also be helpful to know if the traces on the motherboard go from the display connector to the ispMACH ZE or something else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RandyB201 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

simba4
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Hi

Sent from my iPhone(IOS 7 beta 6) using Tapatalk Pro!

shorty66
Old
Thanks Meter 38
I might be able to open it up and have a look at it as soon as it gets shipped to me.
Will post here if nobody else does till then.

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 697
Bill Detwiler of TechRepublic did the following teardowns:I've taken mine apart a zillion times.
A (previously done) flatbed scan of the PCB is attached.

The two PCB appear practically identical.
The difference seems to be a few extra components in the upper left corner.
(The white connector is my own addition, a console UART connection.)

Note that there is a major difference between package markings and IC numbers.
The "CKP" is actually a bq24072

In short, I'd just go with the Nook Glow and presume that it would all work on the Touch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nooktouch.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	2203648  

RandyB201
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Talking THANKS Renata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST View Post
Bill Detwiler of TechRepublic did the following teardowns:I've taken mine apart a zillion times.
A (previously done) flatbed scan of the PCB is attached.

The two PCB appear practically identical.
The difference seems to be a few extra components in the upper left corner.
(The white connector is my own addition, a console UART connection.)

Note that there is a major difference between package markings and IC numbers.
The "CKP" is actually a bq24072

In short, I'd just go with the Nook Glow and presume that it would all work on the Touch.
Hey, Renate!! Thank you so much for your response. The clue on the CKP chip helped me nail that one down. Using the same skills, I eliminated the 4th chip from the list, 'cause it is the same mux demux he mentioned in the NST article. I was also able to fill in more details on the other two chips in the list.

I am operating on the assumption that the chips are on the board. I am just looking for confirmation of that, lol.

Thank you again!

RandyB201
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
bump. still looking for volunteers to confirm these chips for me...

dkuku
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB201 View Post
bump. still looking for volunteers to confirm these chips for me...
Maybe this helps https://www.dropbox.com/sh/glekkurykuybpbr/cFDvWaOYCt

p42
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB201 View Post
For those of you who do not know, I am on a mission to build Android 2.2 for the Nook Simple Touch.

Bill Detweiler at Techreports did tear downs of the Simple Touch and the Simple Touch with Glowlight.

In his review of the Glowlight he mentions several chips that he does not mention in his review of the regular Simple Touch. It is not clear whether they are not present in the regular NST or whether they are just not mentioned.

I am a complete Klutz, and opening my NST would almost certainly be a disaster, LOL. I am looking for a couple people willing to pop open their NST without Glow and see if the following chips are or are not on the motherboard:

Chip Markings:
  • CKP TI A3T9
  • Texas Instruments BQ27520 System-Side Impedance Track Fuel Gauge
  • Texas Instruments 2624I
  • Texas Instruments YE04 18K G4 A919
Added question 08/31/2013: It would also be helpful to know if the traces on the motherboard go from the display connector to the ispMACH ZE or something else.
I've also been digging around to do some building; the stuff I've spotted so far (this is a without-glowlight) around the battery connector are two chips,
one labelled 'ckp ti 191 a0le' - I reckon that is a BQ 24072 charging chip (see http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/bq24073.pdf) - the 73 is supposed to be labelled ckq as far as I can tell.

The other chip I can see just next to it I think is labelled as BQ27506 but it's a bit on the damn small side; I'm assuming we've actually
got that rather than the BQ27520 that the source says but maybe it's just hiding.

Dave