[GUIDE] Moto G - Restore stock firmware

Search This thread

t-bon3

May 16, 2010
Pre-requisites:

a) Download and install Motorola Drivers:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2550635

b) Download and extract the stock firmware of your choosing from:
Looks like this link is now broken :'-( http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14
The firmwares with '_umtsds' in the file name are for the 'dual-sim' versions of the Moto G, it's probably not a good idea to flash these onto single sim phones, or vice-versa.

Edit: More firmwares for international retail and carrier devices can be found here:
http://www.filefactory.com/folder/c6cdedc45a775d27

Edit: The firmware files have been updated most of the firmware archives are now in .tar.gz archives which include Motorola fastboot and flashing scripts for OSX, Linux and Windows.

On windows the .tar.gz archives need to be opened and extracted using a 3rd party archive manager. e.g. 7-zip, or PeaZip, Windows cannot extract these files natively, Linux and OSX can.

I used the retail British firmware (fastboot_falcon_retgb_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_54_release-keys-cid7-Retail_GB.tar.gz), extracted to c:\

c) If the firmware file you downloaded is a .xml.zip file then download Motorola Fastboot View attachment mfastboot-v2.zip (attached to this post) and extract the .exe into the same folder as the stock firmware files (the same folder as the .bin and .img files). If your firmware is a .tar.gz file then skip this step.

d) Get ADB (if you don't already have this, I suggest downloading and installing Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1S0LCuXCnnmOWhnUk1ZWVdQakE

Disclaimer:

Follow these instructions at your own risk. If something goes wrong don't blame me!

I have only tested this on a UK Retail Moto G with an unlocked bootloader, however as these are the original stock signed image files from Motorola it should work on all devices.

See notes at the bottom of this post for downgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.3.

Edit: tkm89 reports that he was able to use this guide to restore Stock Retail British firmware on a bootloader locked Tesco-mobile Moto G

Steps to restore stock firmware:

1) Reboot the phone into bootloader mode. There are 2 ways to do this.
I) The 'hardware' way.
a) Unplug the USB cable and power off the phone.
b) Press and hold 'Volume down' then power on the phone.
c) Connect USB cable to your computer.​

II) The 'software' way.
a) Enable developer mode on the Moto G (Settings-> 'About Phone'. Tap 7 times on 'Build Number')
b) Enable USB debugging. (Settings -> 'Developer options' -> 'USB Debugging' -> check)
c) Connect phone to computer via USB, you should see a new ADB device detected and drivers installed.
d) Open "Minimal ADB and Fastboot". Type:
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader

You should see the Moto G bootloader screen with the following options:
Code:
Normal Powerup
Recovery
Factory
Switch Console [NULL: null]
Barcodes
BP Tools
2) Open a command prompt / terminal (Start -> cmd.exe in Win7) and browse to the folder with the extracted firmware.

In my case:
Code:
cd c:\falcon_retgb_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_54_release-keys-cid7-Retail_GB

3a) If you downloaded and extracted a firmware in .tar.gz format

In windows, run the 'flashall.bat' script Type:
Code:
flashall.bat /eu
The "/eu" switch forces userdata to be erased from the device, this is the same as a factory reset or wipe this is recommended when restoring stock firmware.
In Linux/OSX run the flashall.sh script. Type:
Code:
chmod +x flashall.sh
./flashall.sh

Downgrading:
The scripts will fail with an error on downgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.3. Open the script in a text editor (notepad) and delete (or comment) the following:
Lines 89-90 in the flashall.bat file:
Code:
CALL :fastboot_flash partition gpt.bin
IF %errorlevel% NEQ 0 EXIT /b 1
Lines 120-121 in the flashall.sh file:
Code:
run $fastboot -s "$serial_number" flash partition gpt.bin
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "ERROR: fastboot failed."; exit -1; fi

3b) If you downloaded and extracted a firmware in .xml.zip format.

Flash each of the partitions in sequence using mfastboot, you need to enter the following commands one-by-one checking that each one returns an [OKAY]
Code:
mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1 
mfastboot erase modemst2 
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache 
mfastboot erase userdata 
mfastboot reboot
Downgrading:
The 1st command "mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin" will fail on 4.4.2 to 4.3 downgrade. Skip this command if you are downgrading and continue with the other commands, which should work.​

4) Wait, you should now be rebooted into a fully stock Moto G firmware.

Last edited:

ahac85

Aug 7, 2010
thanks for the guide, ive also just flashed stock firmware over preinstalled tesco firmware with a locked bootloader.

Reactions: Lopardy EFOP

Allewar

May 3, 2013
Wich of these stock rooms are the Brazilian XT1033 for the 16gb dual chip???

fastboot_falcon_retbr_ds_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LCG-8_60_release-keys-cid12-Brasil_BR.tar.gz

fastboot_falcon_retbr_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LCG-8_41_release-keys-cid12-Brasil_BR.tar.gz

t-bon3

May 16, 2010
Is the bootloader warning Logo also removed?
If you just follow the guide above then no, your unlocked bootloader and warning will remain after flashing.

The procedure for relocking the bootloader is to issue the following command in fastboot before flashing:

Code:
mfastboot oem lock begin

then after flashing but before rebooting enter the following:

Code:
mfastboot oem lock

This should lock the bootloader BUT I have seen reports that even after re-locking there is still a warning screen saying that the bootloader has been previously unlocked!

t-bon3

May 16, 2010
C:\Motorola\falcon_retbr_ds_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LCG-8_60_release-keys-cid12-
Brasil_BR>mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
error: cannot load 'system.img_sparsechunk.0'

I had this message when I try, the previous commands worked right!

Daniel
moto g 16gb dual chip
The south american firmwares do not have multi-part /system images. In that case use this command instead:
Code:
mfastboot flash system system.img

Reactions: DigitalSnow

Now I have this message
C:\Motorola\falcon_retbr_ds_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LCG-8_60_release-keys-cid12-
Brasil_BR>mfastboot flash system system.img
sending 'system' (524288 KB)...
OKAY [ 18.111s]
writing 'system'...
Multi-Flash is not supported any more!
Please download latest fastboot from: xxxxxx

the link don´t work

Daniel

geminihc

Jun 5, 2008
some of the lines show errors for me:

Sparsechunk2: Failed to validate sparse image
Sparsechunk0: Invalid signed image

other wise, it seems to work fine

thanks,

t-bon3

May 16, 2010
Now I have this message
OKAY [ 18.111s]
writing 'system'...

the link don´t work
Can you try mfastboot.exe from the attached zip. This is taken from the south american firmware release.

Attachments

• mfastboot-v2.zip
    537.3 KB · Views: 3,940
Now it works

Thanks

Daniel
Moto G 16gb dual chip Brazil
XT1033

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Wich of these stock rooms are the Brazilian XT1033 for the 16gb dual chip???

fastboot_falcon_retbr_ds_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LCG-8_60_release-keys-cid12-Brasil_BR.tar.gz

fastboot_falcon_retbr_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LCG-8_41_release-keys-cid12-Brasil_BR.tar.gz

Esta

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pre-requisites:

a) Download and install Motorola Drivers:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2550635

b) Download and extract the stock firmware of your choosing from:
    Looks like this link is now broken :'-( http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14
    The firmwares with '_umtsds' in the file name are for the 'dual-sim' versions of the Moto G, it's probably not a good idea to flash these onto single sim phones, or vice-versa.

Edit: More firmwares for international retail and carrier devices can be found here:
    http://www.filefactory.com/folder/c6cdedc45a775d27

Edit: The firmware files have been updated most of the firmware archives are now in .tar.gz archives which include Motorola fastboot and flashing scripts for OSX, Linux and Windows.

On windows the .tar.gz archives need to be opened and extracted using a 3rd party archive manager. e.g. 7-zip, or PeaZip, Windows cannot extract these files natively, Linux and OSX can.

I used the retail British firmware (fastboot_falcon_retgb_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_54_release-keys-cid7-Retail_GB.tar.gz), extracted to c:\

c) If the firmware file you downloaded is a .xml.zip file then download Motorola Fastboot View attachment mfastboot-v2.zip (attached to this post) and extract the .exe into the same folder as the stock firmware files (the same folder as the .bin and .img files). If your firmware is a .tar.gz file then skip this step.

d) Get ADB (if you don't already have this, I suggest downloading and installing Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1S0LCuXCnnmOWhnUk1ZWVdQakE

Disclaimer:

Follow these instructions at your own risk. If something goes wrong don't blame me!

I have only tested this on a UK Retail Moto G with an unlocked bootloader, however as these are the original stock signed image files from Motorola it should work on all devices.

See notes at the bottom of this post for downgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.3.

Edit: tkm89 reports that he was able to use this guide to restore Stock Retail British firmware on a bootloader locked Tesco-mobile Moto G

Steps to restore stock firmware:

1) Reboot the phone into bootloader mode. There are 2 ways to do this.
    I) The 'hardware' way.
    a) Unplug the USB cable and power off the phone.
    b) Press and hold 'Volume down' then power on the phone.
    c) Connect USB cable to your computer.​

II) The 'software' way.
    a) Enable developer mode on the Moto G (Settings-> 'About Phone'. Tap 7 times on 'Build Number')
    b) Enable USB debugging. (Settings -> 'Developer options' -> 'USB Debugging' -> check)
    c) Connect phone to computer via USB, you should see a new ADB device detected and drivers installed.
    d) Open "Minimal ADB and Fastboot". Type:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader

You should see the Moto G bootloader screen with the following options:
    Code:
    Normal Powerup
    Recovery
    Factory
    Switch Console [NULL: null]
    Barcodes
    BP Tools
    2) Open a command prompt / terminal (Start -> cmd.exe in Win7) and browse to the folder with the extracted firmware.

In my case:
    Code:
    cd c:\falcon_retgb_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_54_release-keys-cid7-Retail_GB

3a) If you downloaded and extracted a firmware in .tar.gz format

In windows, run the 'flashall.bat' script Type:
    Code:
    flashall.bat /eu
    The "/eu" switch forces userdata to be erased from the device, this is the same as a factory reset or wipe this is recommended when restoring stock firmware.
    In Linux/OSX run the flashall.sh script. Type:
    Code:
    chmod +x flashall.sh
    ./flashall.sh

Downgrading:
    The scripts will fail with an error on downgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.3. Open the script in a text editor (notepad) and delete (or comment) the following:
    Lines 89-90 in the flashall.bat file:
    Code:
    Lines 120-121 in the flashall.sh file:
    Code:
    run $fastboot -s "$serial_number" flash partition gpt.bin
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "ERROR: fastboot failed."; exit -1; fi

3b) If you downloaded and extracted a firmware in .xml.zip format.

Flash each of the partitions in sequence using mfastboot, you need to enter the following commands one-by-one checking that each one returns an [OKAY]
    Code:
    mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
    mfastboot flash boot boot.img
    mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3
    mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    mfastboot erase modemst1 
    mfastboot erase modemst2 
    mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    mfastboot erase cache 
    mfastboot erase userdata 
    mfastboot reboot
    Downgrading:
    The 1st command "mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin" will fail on 4.4.2 to 4.3 downgrade. Skip this command if you are downgrading and continue with the other commands, which should work.​

4) Wait, you should now be rebooted into a fully stock Moto G firmware.
    Firmware Lolipop

Mirror
    XT1032 BR 5.0.2
    Google Drive : DOWNLOAD

XT1033 BR 5.0.2

XT1033 Asia 5.0.2

MFastboot

:fingers-crossed:
    Now I have this message
    OKAY [ 18.111s]
    writing 'system'...

the link don´t work
    Can you try mfastboot.exe from the attached zip. This is taken from the south american firmware release.
    High speed mirrors for

XT1032_RETAIL-EU_4.4.4_KX21.14-L1.40_36_cid7_CFC_1FF.xml.zip:
    http://tweaksparadise.com/download/rawdealer/index.php?action=list&folder=65490

XT1032_RETAIL-DE_4.4.4_KXB21.14-L1.40_36_cid7_CFC_1FF.xml.zip:
    http://tweaksparadise.com/download/rawdealer/index.php?action=list&folder=65444

I hope it will be useful for someone. :)
    Im on US 4.4.2 ROM @ UK XT1032. I tried to downgrade to Retail UK 4.3 ROM and Im using motorola fastboot. Im getting error "Preflash validation failed" when I enter the command "fastboot flash partition gpt.bin" inside of the UK 4.3 ROM folder.

Open the flashall.bat in Notepad and remove the following two lines:

Code:

The gpt.bin cannot be downgraded so the flashing fails and stops the rest of the script from running. Removing those lines will allow the script to flash everything else and you'll have a working phone. This also works for other 4.3 roms in tar.gz format like the German and French ROMs.