!!! PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE PROCEEDING !!!
My goal for this application was to create a more flexible camera solution for LG phones. The camera hardware itself is very capable, but LG didn't necessarily take full advantage of it with their software. This app extends the capabilities of the camera and offers increased control/quality.
- This is ONLY for stock or stock-based firmware (the version of Android that LG provides)...not AOSP/CM/etc.
- If you are looking for instructions on using the XCam LG Settings donation app, see the 2nd post.
- If you are a developer or have a rooted device and are interested in the advanced camera driver/binaries I have created, see the 3rd post.
- Make sure you have turned on the option for "Unknown Sources" under Settings > General > Security.
- First you need to decide which version of the apk to download onto your phone. If you are using a 100% stock unrooted G2 you will choose the 1st link. If you are rooted and wish to add the 4kUHD video mode, you will first need to flash (via twrp) a modified media_profiles.xml file and then choose the 2nd link. If you are currently using a rom that has the advanced driver (ask in your rom's thread, not here) you will choose the 3rd link.
- XCam LG - for stock/unrooted G2
- XCam LG - for stock G2 + 4kUHD video
- XCam LG - for G2 using the advanced driver
- When the download has finished, pull down your notification tray and select the file. If you can't find it, go to "Downloads" listed in your app drawer and select the file from there. This will start the install process.
- If you wish to support development and gain additional functionality, please consider purchasing the XCam LG Settings app from the play store HERE. For details on the options within this companion app, see the 2nd post.
- Due to changes Google made in Android 4.4.x (KitKat), if you want to save photos to your external SD Card you will need to install and run NextApp's SDFix (requires root access). After you restart your phone the external option should work without issue.
- Due to limitations of the stock LG G2 camera driver, the 120fps (slow-motion) video is VERY dark. If your device is rooted you can install the advanced driver packge (3rd post) that I put together which resolves this issue and adds other enhancements/features.
- Will this work on AOSP?
- No. This camera requires framework/driver support that is only in the stock LG firmware.
- Will you ever make it work on AOSP?
- Though I won't say "never", I will say it's highly unlikely. Asking this question repeatedly makes it less likely.
- Why doesn't my screen turn on with the Vol- longpress when this is the default camera app?
- This is due to LG hard-coding the package reference in their framework. XCam LG itself has the wakelock capability (wakelock) but your firmware will need to be modified to point to the new package. I have given some of the details on what to look for HERE.
- Why are the 30, 60 and 120 fps video modes progressively darker?
- This is due to the nature of light & photography. An increase in frame rate means a faster effective shutter speed...which also means less light getting to the sensor per frame.
- Why don't I have a saturation option in the settings app?
- As mentioned in the settings app's play store description, this is only available with the stock G2 camera driver. LG removed this capability from the G Pro 2 (which the advanced driver is based on) and the G3.
- Why are the icons overlapping/misaligned and why is the preview not filling the whole screen?
- This is because you changed the default screen density/dpi for your device, which throws off the UI layout. To resolve this, you can either use the freely available App Settings xposed module to force XCam to stock (480) or modify the apk yourself using the files I have posted here as a guide. I will not be supporting these mods, however, so do not ask questions about how to make the changes or use apktool in the thread.
- Gather as much information as possible on how to reproduce the issue.
- If the application is force closing, get a full logcat that shows the error/problem. Here is an excellent tutorial on how to get one. There are also apps such as CatLog available in the play store that allow you to capture this on your device.
- Post very clear/exact steps to reproduce the problem along with logs here. If you don't have either, post in the Q & A thread.
- revert :: bump 60fps min rate higher in low-light (caused problems in certain luminance conditions)
- fix UHD mode missing from stock g2 + 4kUHD version
- NEW:: w10m video snapshot in 1080p/720p 30fps modes (advanced driver only)
- NEW:: manual focus in HDR, Burst, Panorama, Shot/Clear modes
- NEW:: bump 60fps min rate higher in low-light
- removed unused code/permissions (fix vs98511c & L crashes)
- fix HDR edge glitch for G3
- BugFix: FC in Shot and Clear photo mode
- Slightly improved quality in a few shot modes
- BugFix: FC when selecting Help in Photo mode
- Bypass Video mode popup for Sprint users
- Support for XCam LG Settings donation app (available in Play Store)
- Control Jpeg Compression Level (Quality), Contrast, Saturation (stock G2 camera driver only) and Sharpness.
- Control minimum shutter speed for Burst Shot, Intelligent Auto, Night, Normal and Sports photo modes.
- Control other camera features such as the audio noise Gate, automatic night mode, focus Lock/video recording sounds, etc.
- Redesigned icon
- Sports mode now set at min 1/30 shutter speed
- Initial release of completely new app
- NEW Lightframe/flash mode for front camera
- NEW Sports mode revamped
- Set at min 1/24 shutter speed
- For now, if you don't open the camera in Sports mode, you will need to toggle between IA mode and back to Sports to enable this faster shutter (you can also toggle between video and back)
- Normal mode now bypasses the automatic switch to night mode in low light (and the corresponding multi-frame smoothed/nr photo).
- Improved image quality across the board
Donations are always welcome!
Please provide any feedback pertaining to bugs or feature requests as I'll be actively working on this project.
Devs: Due to the fact that this mod is available as a normal apk install, there is no need for and I do not authorize it to be included in ANY roms/firmware. It creates confusion for people installing it and fragments any reporting of problems. You can direct them to this thread to install the latest version. Please feel free to use the binaries/driver packages I have created, however. If you do so, you must put a credit in your OP. Though it should go without saying, I do not approve of any use/copying of the code/methods contained herein for your own app/mod.
XCam LG, App for the LG G2
Current Stable Version: 5.2.4
Stable Release Date: 2013-11-29
Last Updated 2014-11-24