Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,815 Members 42,237 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Did This Work For You?
Yes (I used a 16GB micro SD card) 52 43.70%
No (I used a 16GB micro SD card) 26 21.85%
Yes (I used a 32GB or 64GB micro SD card) 30 25.21%
No (I used a 32GB or 64GB micro SD card) 11 9.24%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

[HOW TO GUIDE] How To Unbrick AT&T I747 and I747M After 4.3 OTA

Tip us?

theramsey3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttreakle1 View Post
I used the debrick-SGH-I747U-CUEMJB3.img on my hard bricked (no signs of life except for red charging light when plugged into charger) At&T i747 that had the ota 4.3 update and was able to get into download mode ! from there I flashed TWRP through Odin and from there I flashed the I747UCUEMJ2 rom and it booted right up and was happy ! but then I went back into TWRP and decided to flash boot_CWM_I747MVLUEMK5 and when it was done flashing it said succeeded so I hit reboot then after that my phone was dead again and the sdcard debrick imgae no longer works..........any ideas?
-Mr.X- did the same thing but the other way around he flashed an AT&T bootloader over his I747M and would up with a phone that needs to be Jtag'ed

Btw since this method worked the first time you used it what size SD card did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mr. X- View Post
as another update. flashing a I747U bootloader over a I747M device. Is an UBER BRICK By Uber i mean, recovering with my previously posted debrick method does not work. So far. I NEED I747U users to dump me a 4.1.2 bootloader debrick file and a 4.3 debrick file. it may be possible to debrick using these files. thus we will be able to recover from all forms of bricking we have seen so far.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

theramsey3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 151
I just got a pm from someone who successfully used this method outlined in this thread, he stated he used a 16GB class 4 SD card and had no issues, this was on an AT&T phone. He did however use his own debrick IMG from someone else's phone.

iMackshun
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default My success! :P

I used the AT&T i747. I used a debrick.img from my stepbro's s3 that ran the OTA 4.3 update. I used a standard class 4 Sandisk 16 GB MicroSD card. After using diskimage, I was able to boot into recovery, download mode, and even Slim Bean 4.3(Stock Rom was stuck at boot logo, or I was being impatient.) After that, I reinstalled TWRP(For some reason, it was overwritten with the stock recovery) Then I flashed in the order you mentioned, wiping cache and dalvik in between the flashes and I was able to boot up without the sd card inserted. All has been working normally ever since.(At first, I pulled the battery because I thought it was stuck at the At&t boot logo, but after, I realized the first boot just takes some time.)

P.S. I flashed the zips from the internal sdcard because I had access to SlimBean. It booted up normally once I had flashed slim bean(as long as I had the debrick sd card inserted.)

PM me if you want a link to the debrick I used. I use an AT&T I747 Galaxy S3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iMackshun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BaSingSe
Old
Thanks Meter 5
How did you (what command) extract the debrick.img file? Is his 4.3 phone rooted? Also, how did you built the SD card? Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMackshun View Post
I used the AT&T i747. I used a debrick.img from my stepbro's s3 that ran the OTA 4.3 update. I used a standard class 4 Sandisk 16 GB MicroSD card. After using diskimage, I was able to boot into recovery, download mode, and even Slim Bean 4.3(Stock Rom was stuck at boot logo, or I was being impatient.) After that, I reinstalled TWRP(For some reason, it was overwritten with the stock recovery) Then I flashed in the order you mentioned, wiping cache and dalvik in between the flashes and I was able to boot up without the sd card inserted. All has been working normally ever since.(At first, I pulled the battery because I thought it was stuck at the At&t boot logo, but after, I realized the first boot just takes some time.)

P.S. I flashed the zips from the internal sdcard because I had access to SlimBean. It booted up normally once I had flashed slim bean(as long as I had the debrick sd card inserted.)

PM me if you want a link to the debrick I used. I use an AT&T I747 Galaxy S3
SGH-I337 UCUAMDL
SGH-I747 4.1.2
SCH-I535 Hard-bricked
SCH-I545 Soft-bricked --> Hard-bricked

iMackshun
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Wink The Command and Method used

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSingSe View Post
How did you (what command) extract the debrick.img file? Is his 4.3 phone rooted? Also, how did you built the SD card? Thx.
Here are the Steps I used to get the debrick.img from his phone.

1. I rooted his phone using the CFAutoRoot method. It worked perfectly, although Knox and security did cause some issues. After updating SuperSU, it gave me options to disable KNOX, which disabled the annoying blocking of apps(I believe it did).
2.I installed busybox from the Play Store. I also installed Android Terminal Emulator from the Play Store.
3. I opened Android Terminal Emulator and entered these two lines, entering between them After entering the first, I granted root access, then ran the second line.

Quote:
su
busybox dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/sdcard/debrick.img bs=1M count=128
4. After those two lines were ran, the debrick.img file was on the root of either the external or internal sdcard. I copied that file to my desktop, and inserted my sd card into my computer(Using the MicroSD to SD Adapter).
5.Finally, I used Win32DiskImager to write the files to the Micro SDcard. After that, I pulled my battery and inserted the Micro SDCard into my phone and it was able to boot into recovery and download mode.

ttreakle1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by theramsey3 View Post
-Mr.X- did the same thing but the other way around he flashed an AT&T bootloader over his I747M and would up with a phone that needs to be Jtag'ed

Btw since this method worked the first time you used it what size SD card did you use?

I used a class 10 sandisk 16 gb sd card from radio shack for 10 bucks
The Following User Says Thank You to ttreakle1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BaSingSe
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I think it starts to make some sense now.

There are different kinds of hard bricks. In this I747 4.3 case, when you try to flash back to older ROM, the 4.3 bootloader is still intact (since it is locked), but the system was over-written. So when you try to boot the phone, the phone tries to boot off the 4.3 bootloader, but can't start since the system is older ROM. So you'll have to build the 4.3 SD card to provide the 4.3 system.

But if the original ROM is older with an unlockable bootloader (say 4.1.2), then wen you flash with 4.1.1, everything (including bootloader) is over-written with the new ROM.

If the bootloader is re-written with a wrong ROM from a different phone, then the phone may not boot at all, since the bootloader is not compatible with the phone. And the phone has to boot off the bootloader, not directly through SD card.

If some of the developers can shed some light, that would be great. We need some people who really understand how the Android system works here.
SGH-I337 UCUAMDL
SGH-I747 4.1.2
SCH-I535 Hard-bricked
SCH-I545 Soft-bricked --> Hard-bricked
The Following User Says Thank You to BaSingSe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CYRAXDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 201
theramsey3 thanks dude for the help everything is booting up and able to flash the right files just downloading the rom to flash. Other user if you have any ?s about this its 100% legit. I had made a post about some issues(http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2552952) and he helped out. All credit is for theramsey3

Samsung Galaxy S3
AT&T I747UCUEMJB as Bootloader
The Following User Says Thank You to CYRAXDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theramsey3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 151
Well at the advice of samsung chat support who insisted that I could... I hooked my AT&T SGH-I747 to my pc and opened kies3, selected tools, firmware upgrade/initilazation followed the prompts waited for the file to download and BRICK my phone again.

This one was new though, the debrick file didn't help at all at first, it had the phone stuck in forced download mode where my phone said Firmware upgrade encountered an issue... blah blah blah.

thought ok just odin a file on it so I can use the debrick file, well everything I was trying with odin failed... until I found a bootloader.tar for AT&T That successfully hardbricked it for me (at this point it was desireable for me to have a hard brick)

so then I was able to use the debrick file and flash all of my goodies to recover the phone yet again. Thank you -Mr. X- for making me aware of this, although I really need to stop playing around before I have to get my phone Jtag'ed...

Good luck everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theramsey3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CYRAXDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Damn man that sucks. I don't want to go through that again lol. Where did you find that file?

I also been seeing roms for 4.4 and I'm guessing can't flash those

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Samsung Galaxy S3
AT&T I747UCUEMJB as Bootloader

Tags
i747, i747m, jtag, unbrick