XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Devoloper edition ?

Tip us?

Paulb787
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Devoloper edition ?

I am thinking about selling my s4 and getting a developer edition. I am not new to xda and really want a s4 with a unlocked bootloader? my question is the devolpoper edition does it work with retail s4 roms, and firmware? may main concern is if I get a dev edition and flash a bad odin and my bootloader goes from unlocked to locked. how will I get it back? Is there a DEV edition odin file?

scryan
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulb787 View Post
I am thinking about selling my s4 and getting a developer edition. I am not new to xda and really want a s4 with a unlocked bootloader? my question is the devolpoper edition does it work with retail s4 roms, and firmware? may main concern is if I get a dev edition and flash a bad odin and my bootloader goes from unlocked to locked. how will I get it back? Is there a DEV edition odin file?
Can't answer most of those, but there have definitely been reports of people with dev edition locking their boot loader.

The official update trips a qfuse that is checked when trying to flash back to the older basebands, so dev edition or not if you trip that fuse your out of luck.

Though I would think it would be easy enough to get, install custom recovery, flash only community built roms and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT FILES FOR THE DEV EDITION IN THE EVENT YOU HAVE TO USE ODIN TO RECOVER A SOFTBRICK, AHEAD OF TIME.

Should be easy enough to keep a dev edition a dev edition... just read, pay attention and be cautious.

equake
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulb787 View Post
Not sure if its relevant but it could be the newer ROMs enable SELinux that it becomes more difficult to flash custom Recoveries.

On that note if you do purchase a Dev Edition let us know what stock ROM is installed out of curiosity.

My 2 cents