5,596,925 Members 48,338 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Would it be possible to use this old modding method? CRT Screen Off Animation

Tip us?

jtcressy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Would it be possible to use this old modding method? CRT Screen Off Animation

I dug up this old tut on rootzwiki: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/379-how-t...any-23-device/
Basically, it states that you can enable the CRT screen on/off animation by editing bools.xml in any framework-res.apk on an android phone above version 2.3. I currently am running a stock pre-rooted deodexed rom. Kernel: "3.0.31-1152558 se.infra@R0710-11 #1"

Alot of users end up bricking their phones by trying to replace the framework-res.apk obtained from other sources, and right now i'm feeling scared to edit the apk by myself.

Would this procedure be too risky? Can I take a nandroid backup of only my system partition to restore from soft brick? Or, if something goes wrong, is it possible that it could be hard bricked just from this wrong apk?

DiSiD
Old
Thanks Meter 16
You just want to change CRT animation? Why not use xposed?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1574401

Then there are all kinds of modules you could tinker with (xblast tools for example is one I use). It's really easy, and pretty safe I'd say.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

jtcressy
Old
(Last edited by jtcressy; 21st November 2013 at 08:51 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
omigawsh, i've used the xposed framework for google wallet, and i never knew i could do this. WOW! Thanks man. I'm gonna try it out.

Update: It seems xblast tools does not work. I heard the library "libsurfaceflinger.so " needs to be edited on the GS3 stock rom. I cant just flash any version, as it holds a video driver, so I need to edit it.

DiSiD
Old
Thanks Meter 16
What Rom are you using? The developer of xblast is super responsive. Plus I know they have updated it twice recently (most recently to work with 4.4). Send him an email, maybe he can help you.

jtcressy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSiD View Post
What Rom are you using? The developer of xblast is super responsive. Plus I know they have updated it twice recently (most recently to work with 4.4). Send him an email, maybe he can help you.

I was running a stock 4.1.2 touchwiz rom when attempting this mod. Since this thread i've just loaded the 11-20-2013 nightly of the KitKang 4.4 rom. I'm still interested to know if its possible to modify the graphics driver on the SCH-I535 stock roms. It would be a great mod for those hesitant to install custom roms for the sake of the CRT animation.

I'm not sure alot of xposed devs have had experience modifying android graphics drivers. Afaik xposed only modifies the system framework that runs in the java virtual environment. Drivers are on the kernel level. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to contact some developers.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Hooray for inferior cable network internet!