5,593,587 Members 37,999 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] ICS Shapewriter [Now with xhdpi support!]

Tip us?

luke1987
Old
(Last edited by luke1987; 12th February 2013 at 05:46 AM.) Reason: screenshots added, xhdpi version added
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Default [APP] ICS Shapewriter [Now with xhdpi support!]

This is ICS/JB themed version of Shapewriter. I truly loved this keyboard before the 4.2 AOSP keyboard. There are many without JB however, and I thought they might appreciate this apk. It is the most heavily themed version I have seen. If it is well received I will theme it further.

1/9/13
Scaled keyboard to be compatible with xhdpi resolution phones. I have only tested this on my galaxy s3 and it works fine. If you find issues let me know.

ICS Shapewriter [HDPI]
ICS Shapewriter [XHDPI]

I'd like to thank Funkencool for his help in apk modding
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to luke1987 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

luke1987
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Default hxdpi version

I have found 2 bugs in Shapewriter. This is pretty impressive considering the app hasn't been updated in years.

1. Switching from numpad to keyboard causes last typed character to be replicated. (I can most likely correct this issue, but I don't think it'd be worth my time considering how little Shapewriter is used)

2.Keyboard would not work with one SHTTP website I frequent. Not sure if this is a fluke or true bug.

Otherwise it is still very functional and relevant. The creators of this app were ahead of their time.
The Following User Says Thank You to luke1987 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheBeardedMann
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1987 View Post
I have found 2 bugs in Shapewriter. This is pretty impressive considering the app hasn't been updated in years.

1. Switching from numpad to keyboard causes last typed character to be replicated. (I can most likely correct this issue, but I don't think it'd be worth my time considering how little Shapewriter is used)

2.Keyboard would not work with one SHTTP website I frequent. Not sure if this is a fluke or true bug.

Otherwise it is still very functional and relevant. The creators of this app were ahead of their time.
Bug #1 It's an Ice Cream Sandwich issue. I'd love to see it fixed if you can. It's a pain in the ass if you enter in passwords that are hidden and you forget to backspace.
Cheers!

luke1987
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Default Re: [APP] ICS Shapewriter [Now with xhdpi support!]

Yea it was introduced in ICS and lingers in JB. I don't think it'd actually be hard to fix. Currently my theme has only been downloaded 20 times, which tells me SW isn't all that popular anymore. I was hoping if I converted to hi res it'd receive some interest, but I think it's a dying keyboard. TBH I don't even use it since 4.2 keyboard was dropped and it's not a priority anymore. If I get some down time I'll check out logcat and try correlate to smali. I'm fairly certain the problem doesn't lie in XML. Once the offending smali is found it SHOULD be simple edit...

luke1987
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Default ICS tracer color

I pm'd you instructions to customize tracer color beardedmann....let me know if you have trouble
The Following User Says Thank You to luke1987 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WalterMK
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Backup User Dictionary?

Hi, thanks a lot for resizing the app for use on Samsung GS3!
THat will be a great help.

I'm using Shapewriter Keyboard for 2 years and think it still is the best swiping keyboard available.
But: How to backup the user dictionary?
Could not find any dictionary database file - or I don't know where to look at.

Maybe someone hs a hint how to backup the user dictionary? Don't want to start builing the dictionary again after having installed the new resized app version...

Thanks a lot for your help!

WalterMK

TheBeardedMann
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Default Re: [APP] ICS Shapewriter [Now with xhdpi support!]

I believe its a .lib file. Not at a computer so I can't check right now.
Cheers!

luke1987
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterMK View Post
But: How to backup the user dictionary?
Could not find any dictionary database file - or I don't know where to look at.
WalterMK
Backup your /data/data/com.shapewriter.android.softkeyboard/databases folder....it contains your user dictionary

If you don't feel like the hassle you can make TITANIUM BACKUP and just install my apk overtop yours...it will inherit your dictionary and you will have a backup if things go wrong

Thanks for enjoying my keyboard!

dbroadbent
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just got the S4 and was crushed when I found that Shapewriter is itty bitty in it. Even the reskinned version is pretty small.

I would love you forever if you could make a version that fits on the S4. I'd also give you $5.

I tried every single app on Gplay, and they're all disgusting compared to Shapewriter.

In the meantime, I'll use the teeny tiny version because it's still leaps and bounds better than anything else.

Thanks for the help!

stevendbrady
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Yeah, my coworker has a Galaxy S4 and it's a bit small for him as well. Any chance of an update to fit the S4 better?

Thanks!