5,596,431 Members 39,411 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] KitKANG 4.4 by spezi77 - how to remove INT2EXT4 script properly?

Tip us?
 
Siluxsept
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2013
Question [Q] KitKANG 4.4 by spezi77 - how to remove INT2EXT4 script properly?

Hi all,

i was testing this ROM and it works pretty well for a pre-alpha release. Actually there is a known issue (Settings / Apps / Properties -> FC) that is driving me nuts... I really need to open the Properties to move certain apps to "internal".

There are a couple of apps natively installing parts on SD card, for example Final Fantasy 4 or the XDA developers app. For whatever weird reason when the phone is rebooting these apps are completely disappearing and need to be reinstalled from the Playstore. This is happening to all apps which are "on SD card" in Settings / Apps.

So far i could not figure out why these apps are disappearing, but i believe the Properties FC is related to the INT2EXT4 script. I tried removing the script from init.d folder in the zip file to use Mounts2SD from Playstore instead. Did a full wipe and reinstalled, but then everything was force closing at setup wizard sceen.

Is it possible to remove the INT2EXT4 script from this ROM without crippling it completely? If yes, what is the procedure to remove it properly?

Any help would be appreciated.
 
spezi77
Old
(Last edited by spezi77; 5th December 2013 at 02:11 PM.)
#2  
spezi77's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 864
Posts: 348
Join Date: Jan 2013
Thanks for opening up a Q&A thread.

To remove INT2EXT and make a full restore of A2SD, you have to
Quote:
1. remove 40int2ext from system/init.d/
2. copy the following files from any JB rom with A2SD support:
- system/init.d/03sdcard
- system/init.d/10apps2sd
- system/bin/a2sd
I hope this will solve your problem.
 
eddiehk6
Old
#3  
eddiehk6's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 436
Posts: 1,173
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Another thing to check, how did you partition your sd card? Should be done with 4EXT recovery or gparted only (not minitool)

Backup and repartition your sd card if it's not done with those methods. One FAT32 partition, one 1.5-2GB max ext4 partition, no need for swap even though I think it says in OP.

To get around apps installing partially on sd card you could try a couple of things instead of replacing the script as it should work:

- Use titanium backup, long press an app and to move them to 'internal' to move to sd-ext, gets around having to navigate app settings

- I believe the ROM comes bundled with Xposed? Find a module called Modaco Toolkit, has a system option to 'Disable Forward Lock' which should prevent auto installation of apps to SD card (it works for me on Nexus devices preventing apps installing to virtual /mnt/asec sdcard partition, not tested with a real SD card but I believe the principle is the same, try it). If this method works, it's cleaner as apps should always get installed to 'internal' (sd-ext) in the first place.
Device: Nexus 5 | ROM: SlimKat | Recovery: TWRP

Retired: HTC Desire
_____________________________________________
let's all try to get along ...but remember to search first...
 
Siluxsept
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezi77 View Post
Thanks for opening up a Q&A thread.

To remove INT2EXT you have only to remove it from system/init.d/

But you will have to copy 03sdcard into system/init.d/ folder. This script comes along with a2sd and is responsible for mounting the sd-ext.

I hope this will solve your problem. If not you should insert the following files for a full restore of a2sd:
- system/init.d/03sdcard
- system/init.d/10apps2sd
- system/bin/a2sd
Thanks for the quick response.

Tried your suggestion without success. As soon as I remove INT2EXT from init.d in the zip file ROM is going crazy force closing everything after fresh installation. Very strange... Restoring A2SD didnt help either. Is it only me or is it reproducible for other users?
 
Siluxsept
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehk6 View Post
Another thing to check, how did you partition your sd card? Should be done with 4EXT recovery or gparted only (not minitool)

Backup and repartition your sd card if it's not done with those methods. One FAT32 partition, one 1.5-2GB max ext4 partition, no need for swap even though I think it says in OP.

To get around apps installing partially on sd card you could try a couple of things instead of replacing the script as it should work:

- Use titanium backup, long press an app and to move them to 'internal' to move to sd-ext, gets around having to navigate app settings

- I believe the ROM comes bundled with Xposed? Find a module called Modaco Toolkit, has a system option to 'Disable Forward Lock' which should prevent auto installation of apps to SD card (it works for me on Nexus devices preventing apps installing to virtual /mnt/asec sdcard partition, not tested with a real SD card but I believe the principle is the same, try it). If this method works, it's cleaner as apps should always get installed to 'internal' (sd-ext) in the first place.
1 GB sd-ext partition created with 4EXT, no swap. Had bad experience with minitool and even gparted so I always use 4EXT for partitioning. Works fine for every other JB or ICS ROM.

***facepalm*** YES OF COURSE TB!! - that's the workaround, shame on me... Sometimes you don't see the wood for the trees...

BTW with Xposed and Gravity / Modaco toolkit Final Fantasy 4 refused to start, I had to remove both modules to get it working again.

Thanks a lot for driving me to the right direction, I'm fine with the workaround for now.
 
spezi77
Old
(Last edited by spezi77; 3rd December 2013 at 10:13 AM.)
#6  
spezi77's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 864
Posts: 348
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siluxsept View Post
Thanks for the quick response.

Tried your suggestion without success. As soon as I remove INT2EXT from init.d in the zip file ROM is going crazy force closing everything after fresh installation. Very strange... Restoring A2SD didnt help either. Is it only me or is it reproducible for other users?
Did you make those changes directly on your device? If yes, I suppose to modify the .zip instead and then flash it after doing a full wipe.
 
Siluxsept
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezi77 View Post
Did you make those changes directly on your device? If yes, I suppose to modify the .zip instead and then flash it after doing a full wipe.
No I did not change anything at OS level - that's the weird thing, i always adjust the zip file and flash it after full wipe.
 
Siluxsept
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siluxsept View Post
No I did not change anything at OS level - that's the weird thing, i always adjust the zip file and flash it after full wipe.
Tested one more time with a fresh download. As soon as I remove int2ext from zip file and flash it after full wipe all apps are force closing at setup wizard screen.
 
spezi77
Old
#9  
spezi77's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 864
Posts: 348
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siluxsept View Post
Tested one more time with a fresh download. As soon as I remove int2ext from zip file and flash it after full wipe all apps are force closing at setup wizard screen.
That's really strange. However, thanks for your feedback. For the next version, I will create two variants of the rom (a2sd/int2ext).

The Following User Says Thank You to spezi77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Force Translucent Status Bar in KitKat ROMs with Xposed

It’s been a while since Android 4.4KitKat wasreleased, and we’re slowly … more

Fix the Ambient Light Issues on Your Google Nexus 5 using Xposed

The Google Nexus 5 is a great and rather popular device. This LG-produced … more

Google Glass XE16 Update Factory Image and Rooted Bootloader Now Available

You may recall that early yesterday, we talked about the XE16 … more