XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Android deep clean-up / wipe

Tip us?

dbolivar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 226
Tutorial [GUIDE] Android deep clean-up / wipe

Now with the release of many JB leaks for our Galaxy Note, more and more people are starting to flash custom ROMs into their devices. However, many don't do a proper clean-up / wipe of their devices before doing so, complaining about supposed "bugs" that in fact are not real bugs, but just incompatibilities with previous app data and config left from the previous ROM or improperly restored from backups (TB etc.).

So, after facing that myself with the first ROMs I flashed, reading a lot of tips from the senior members, and experimenting different approaches, I came up with a method that I always follow before flashing a new ROM, which gives me less or no issues at all.

Pros: you minimize the chance of having issues when flashing a new ROM.

Cons: you have to manually reinstall your apps (can be somewhat automated from Google Play) and reconfigure everything.

Pre-reqs: I'm assuming you have CWM installed and know how to use it, and are not a complete noob. If you don't, search the forums and read the guides. Read this guide fully and make sure you understand everything before proceeding.

IMPORTANT: ONLY wipe your device if you have a SAFE (BRICK-FREE) KERNEL. Check your kernel and search the forums. Don't proceed if you are not sure! I'm not responsible for any bricks, unexpected issues that can happen to you or personal data loss because you forgot to backup that! If you want to stay safe, don't want to experiment with your cell phone, it's critical you have it working everytime, stay with the official Samsung ROMs updates you get OTA and don't proceed with this how-to.

How-to:

1) Boot into recovery and perform a full backup (a.k.a. nandroid) to your internal or external SD card.

2) Reboot, and create backups of personal data needed from your apps in your internal or external SD card. For instance, I backup data from apps which are not cloud-based; they usually have a "backup" menu for that.

3) Plug your device into your computer, and copy everything you need from your internal and external SD cards (including the backups done in 1) and 2)). Don't forget your pictures and MP3 files.

4) Delete any apps and data from your external SD card. Leave it as clean as possible (it's OK to leave personal data such as MP3s, pictures etc.).

5) Copy the ROM you are about to flash to your EXTERNAL SD Card (don't copy to internal, because we are going to wipe it).

6) Boot into CWM Recovery and do the following wipes:

6.1) Wipe data / factory reset
6.2) Wipe cache partition
6.3) Advanced -> Wipe dalvik cache
6.4) Mounts and Storage -> Format /system
6.5) Mounts and Storage -> Format /preload
6.6) Mounts and Storage -> Format internal SD card (make sure you know if your internal SD card if /emmc or /sdcard; see below!)

7) Install Zip -> Flash ROM from your external SD card.

8) Wipe cache partition again.

9) Advanced -> Wipe dalvik cache again.

10) Reboot

11) Don't restore anything from Titanium Backup. Reinstall and reconfigure everything from Google Play. I never tried but I think that if you just restore user apps, it should work. Just never restore system apps and data. The backups you created in step 2) and copied to your computer in step 3) can be safely restored from within the apps themselves.

Now you may ask why we format the internal SD card. Many apps store their configuration and app data there, so this way we ensure no old data and config are there which may be incompatible with the new ROM. In fact it might not be that important, since it's only related to user apps, but I prefer to clean everything before flashing a new ROM.

How to find if your internal SD card is mounted on /emmc or /sdcard in CWM Recovery:

1) Boot into CWM Recovery.

2) Install Zip -> Choose zip from internal sdcard. In the top you can see where yours is mounted (/emmc or /sdcard).

3) This is the partition you should format in step 6.6. Pay attention to not format the external SD card, because the ROM zip file is there!

If you still have issues after flashing a new ROM, try to reflash it without any wipes (i.e. just do step 7 again).

Hope it can help people with their flashing!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dbolivar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndroidSlave
Old
Thanks Meter 4027
Good job

allansy
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Is it any better to just install user apps from google play and then restore just the data from TB?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Adhityairvan
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by allansy View Post
Is it any better to just install user apps from google play and then restore just the data from TB?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app
No..the main purpose of the thread is to remove the incompatible app data and system data
Don't forget to press thanks button if i helped you

Current Device :
Tablet >> Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - P7500 ---- Running Great CM10.1 rom by pershoot
SmartPhone >> Samsung Galaxy Note - N7000 Running Jellybam powered by Rythm Kernel
Gaming Device>>iPod Touch 4th Gen Running iOS 6.1.2 and Jailbroken with Evasi0n
FoolPhone >> Blackberry Curve 9220 ( Davis )

dsmas
Old
Thanks Meter 249
Useful.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
:

chasmodo
Old
Thanks Meter 37618

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbolivar View Post
How-to:

6.1) Wipe data / factory reset
6.2) Wipe cache partition
6.3) Advanced -> Wipe dalvik cache
6.4) Mounts and Storage -> Format /system
6.5) Mounts and Storage -> Format /preload
6.6) Mounts and Storage -> Format internal SD card (make sure you know if your internal SD card if /emmc or /sdcard; see below!)

7) Install Zip -> Flash ROM from your external SD card.

8) Wipe cache partition again.

9) Advanced -> Wipe dalvik cache again.

10) Reboot
6.2 ---> unnecessary, because factory reset wipes user data and cache

6.6 ---> how on earth does formatting internal SD card help flashing any Rom?

8) ---> unnecessary, because your cache is already wiped

9) ---> see above
The Following User Says Thank You to chasmodo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dbolivar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 226
6.2) True, thanks for pointing out.

6.6) Some apps, including ones that usually give strange issues between ROM flashes like SNote, leave data there which may cause incompatibilities with a different version. This incompatibility is just a guess; as I said in the original post, it may not be that necessary to format the internal SD card, but I prefer to make sure there is no old data at all floating around, and this recommendation can also be useful when people are going to sell their devices (many think that just a factory reset is enough).

8) and 9) Is it possible that a new ROM can come with stuff in cache and dalvik cache, say, from the developer testing/cooking environment? If it is, can be useful to clean it again after flashing. Otherwise, I agree, it can be skipped.
baz77 Old
Thanks Meter
Yeah total clean scenario is best. In my opinion. So also SD, but never efs

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

azzledazzle
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 2020

DONATE TO ME
I too do things that are not necessary, I have a ritual when doing a deep clean lol

It involves things like the above method, but i do it twice.. No harm in that is there !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azzledazzle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
baz77 Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzledazzle View Post
I too do things that are not necessary, I have a ritual when doing a deep clean lol

It involves things like the above method, but i do it twice.. No harm in that is there !
Wel, better safe then sorry. Totally clean just feels right

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2