5,600,429 Members 32,834 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TUTORIAL] How to change the /system, /cache and /data partitions for Karbonn A5

Tip us?

Anil_Sharma
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Thumbs up [TUTORIAL] How to change the /system, /cache and /data partitions for Karbonn A5

To begin with, you need a hex editor, HxD - Freeware Hex Editor is a great editor and it is very small(less than an MB). Then you need a baseband to edit, you need to locate the file named ' appsboot.mbn '.

That file contains the partition tables, remember this tutorial is about editing the partition tables not extending your physical memory.

So, lets get cracking. Open HxD from programs and open the appsboot.mbn file, now press F3 and search for ' cache ' and press F3 until you see something like this

As you can see the highlighted section of the picture

there are a few repetitions of ' F0 F0 F0 F0 xx ' multiple times, you are concerned with only the first two /system and /cache partitions respectively.

Remember, you don't need to specify the partition size for /data as it is done automatically when you flash the baseband.

Now back to the hex editing part, once you've decided how much space(in MBs only) you wanna allocate to /system and /cache use this link to Convert hex/dec and select the two digits after the F0 F0 F0 F0 like in this pic

and type the hex number for example in the screenshot B4 in hex equals 180 in decimal, which means /system is allocated 180 MB of space and do the same with Cache, I would recommend allocating 10 MB to it as you hardly ever use it. Then flash the baseband like you normally do through Fastboot.

If you have any doubts ask me and I will do my best to clear things to you. Click Thanks if I helped you, doesn't cost anything
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Anil_Sharma For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ankit99
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil_Sharma View Post
To begin with, you need a hex editor, HxD - Freeware Hex Editor is a great editor and it is very small(less than an MB). Then you need a baseband to edit, you need to locate the file named ' appsboot.mbn '.

That file contains the partition tables, remember this tutorial is about editing the partition tables not extending your physical memory.

So, lets get cracking. Open HxD from programs and open the appsboot.mbn file, now press F3 and search for ' cache ' and press F3 until you see something like this

As you can see the highlighted section of the picture

there are a few repetitions of ' F0 F0 F0 F0 xx ' multiple times, you are concerned with only the first two /system and /cache partitions respectively.

Remember, you don't need to specify the partition size for /data as it is done automatically when you flash the baseband.

Now back to the hex editing part, once you've decided how much space(in MBs only) you wanna allocate to /system and /cache use this link to Convert hex/dec and select the two digits after the F0 F0 F0 F0 like in this pic

and type the hex number for example in the screenshot B4 in hex equals 180 in decimal, which means /system is allocated 180 MB of space and do the same with Cache, I would recommend allocating 10 MB to it as you hardly ever use it. Then flash the baseband like you normally do through Fastboot.

If you have any doubts ask me and I will do my best to clear things to you. Click Thanks if I helped you, doesn't cost anything
Thanks ws waiting fr this frm a long tym
OUR ACCOMPLISHED TEAMWORK
Dev-IL Mod v2

XION

GuneetAtwal
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5095
Great Guide keep going on...........

Gogeta
Old
Thanks Meter 752
@everyone instead of quoting whole OP ..
you can just type @op
I am not Goku or Vegeta, I am
Gogeta!

Device : Sony Ericsson W8 Walkman
Rom : CLASSIFIED
kernel : nAa 14
Bootloader:UNLocked(11w38)
Preview current boot animation
without rebooting

Anil_Sharma
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Droid Master View Post
Great Guide keep going on...........
Usb diagnostics port change next :P Too many people fall for that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anil_Sharma For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

protox 109
Old
Thanks Meter 108
AMAZING GUIDE.... BLOWN MY MIND OFF !!!!
IBALL SLIDE DEV
KARBONN A5 Dev
nd
ROOTx Dev

Support Me For Free By going to these linkss
http://bit.ly/1gscu8K
or
http://okfiles.net/file/04g8596
Tags
baseband editing, karbonn a5, partition editing, walton primo