[Q] HTC Desire won't turn on.

Tip us?

JeanFlea
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Unhappy [Q] HTC Desire won't turn on.

Hi,

I received a second-hand HTC Desire from a family member as my Samsung Galaxy S3 got stolen. The phone won't turn on, I don't know if it had previous problems but if someone could give me a list of things to try, and explain how to perform these things, that'd be great.

Here's some details about the problems and what I've tried:
  • I have plugged in the phone to a wall charger without a SD card or simcard in the phone. The LED light turns solid orange and stays on, the buttons on the phone light up and remain that way. The screen stays black and the phone makes no sound.
  • Sometimes if I hold down the power button, it vibrates once and nothing happens.
  • If I plug it into the pc, the pc registers the phone but nothing else happens.
  • I have tried battery pulls.
  • I have also held down the volume down button and power button together, I just get a continuous vibration for about 10 seconds and then nothing
  • I have tried holding down the power button for an extended period of time, but nothing.

Anything else I could try? Or maybe perform the tasks I have tried differently...

Any help would be appreciated I'm not fond of the alternative phone I would have to use.

Thank you

jmcclue
Old
(Last edited by jmcclue; 2nd December 2013 at 08:19 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1216
try pull the battery out for 10 seconds n put back in then press n hold back button then press n hold power button (both same time) see what happens, hopefully it will boot into fastboot. ur vol down button could be dodgy thats why wont boot into bootloader. The led comes on when plugged in and vibrates so thats a good sign. Why it only shows black screen? i dunno. Maybe u just need to flash a ruu. try the back button combo first
The Following User Says Thank You to jmcclue For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JeanFlea
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcclue View Post
try pull the battery out for 10 seconds n put back in then press n hold back button then press n hold power button (both same time) see what happens, hopefully it will boot into fastboot. ur vol down button could be dodgy thats why wont boot into bootloader. The led comes on when plugged in and vibrates so thats a good sign. Why it only shows black screen? i dunno. Maybe u just need to flash a ruu. try the back button combo first
I tried the back button and power button combo, it vibrated once and then nothing. What next?

Chromium
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4729

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanFlea View Post
I tried the back button and power button combo, it vibrated once and then nothing. What next?
Looks to me, like the phone is booting, but the screen isnt displaying anything. Pull the battery, then follow what jmcclue said to get into fastboot. Then setup adb, install this driver, plug the phone into your computer, and run "fastboot devices". See if your phone shows up.

JeanFlea
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Ok, So I'm downloading and installing these things on my pc and plugging the phone into the pc and doing it from there? Because nothing happens on the phone when I try the fastboot thing.. I'm not sure what these programs are or what they do.

Chromium
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4729

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Ok, So I'm downloading and installing these things on my pc and plugging the phone into the pc and doing it from there? Because nothing happens on the phone when I try the fastboot thing.. I'm not sure what these programs are or what they do.
Yes. Adb/fastboot are executables which allow your pc to communicate with your device. You need to do this:
-setup adb
-install the driver that i linked
-follow the steps in jmcclue's post above to get your phone into fastboot mode
-plug the phone into the pc
-on the pc open up a command prompt window, and enter "fastboot devices"
-post a screenshot of the output of the command

JeanFlea
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromium_ View Post
Yes. Adb/fastboot are executables which allow your pc to communicate with your device. You need to do this:
-setup adb
-install the driver that i linked
-follow the steps in jmcclue's post above to get your phone into fastboot mode
-plug the phone into the pc
-on the pc open up a command prompt window, and enter "fastboot devices"
-post a screenshot of the output of the command
The SDK Manager and the driver are both installed, however is there something else I could type in the command window? It says that "fastboot" is not a recognized command.

Chromium
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4729

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
The SDK Manager and the driver are both installed, however is there something else I could type in the command window? It says that "fastboot" is not a recognized command.
Did you completely follow the guide I linked above?

JeanFlea
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromium_ View Post
Did you completely follow the guide I linked above?
Ok, I went over everything again and made sure I didn't miss anything. This was the output of the command:

HT07CPL02294 fastboot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	command.png
Views:	31
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	2429116  

Chromium
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4729

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Ok, I went over everything again and made sure I didn't miss anything. This was the output of the command:

HT07CPL02294 fastboot
Aha, my prediction was correct. So the phone is actually booted into fastboot mode, but the screen is not on.
Lets get some more info out of this phone. Run this command and post the outptut "fastboot getvar all"

The Following User Says Thank You to Chromium For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]