XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Forgets wifi password after router reboot [Nexus 5]

Tip us?

dez93_2000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Forgets wifi password after router reboot [Nexus 5]

Hi all. At home I turn off my wifi when I go to work and when I turn it back on, my nexus 5 doesn't remember the password. My nexus S was the same. This recommends switching my router to WEP (it's currently WPA-PSK), however I'm not sure I actually CAN change this in my router settings. Shouldn't it just work anyway, or is it a router problem? Should I just stop turning off the router? This feels like it shouldn't be a problem: why can't the phone simply paste the password into the box for this specific router name & ID, rather than me typing it?

Thanks for any thoughts!

[for searchability: remember remembering forgetting forgets wifi wi-fi wireless password pw login]

Cross-post from mid Nov which got no replies on the nexus 5 forum.

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2341
Never had this issue and WiFi password should be stored in phone so I'm not seeing how its a router issue. But at the same time how often are you rebooting your router? I mean once a year is a lot to reboot a router

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dez93_2000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
Never had this issue and WiFi password should be stored in phone so I'm not seeing how its a router issue. But at the same time how often are you rebooting your router? I mean once a year is a lot to reboot a router

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Seems odd that it would be a router issue but that's what those guys reckon.

I turn it off when I go to work or away for the weekend. Was quicker to put reboot in the title! In any case, it turns off & on.

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2341
Could you just circumvent all this by leaving the router on? Modern routers consume so little power that the cost should be minimum and the headaches from not working should be gone
Having said that I have never had a phone forget the password to my network when I turn my router off, when you go into settings on your phone is the WPA password still there? It should be, I keep my passwords stored in Google servers so every time I change ROMs or devices I never enter the WiFi passwords to any network I often visit.... In other words your phone should store the password and remember it when you are in range of your router, power cycling it should not effect the phones memory of this password

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dez93_2000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Could you just circumvent all this by leaving the router on? Modern routers consume so little power that the cost should be minimum and the headaches from not working should be gone
Having said that I have never had a phone forget the password to my network when I turn my router off, when you go into settings on your phone is the WPA password still there? It should be, I keep my passwords stored in Google servers so every time I change ROMs or devices I never enter the WiFi passwords to any network I often visit.... In other words your phone should store the password and remember it when you are in range of your router, power cycling it should not effect the phones memory of this password

I could and will leave the router on more, but this still definitely happen occasionally. Let's be honest, it's not the end of the world, but it does feel like a core bug.
Not sure whereabouts in settings the password would be / be visible? All the other routers I've ever connected to are there, I think, so the password memory function is otherwise fine. Which lends weight to this router/phone issue.... however it feels like it still ends up being a phone bug, since all it takes is for the phone to paste a saved string correctly. Wish I could get other people to replicate this but IDK how they would!

Is there an obvious option to store them on the google servers?

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2341
Open settings/WiFi/ and you will see all stored hotspots, long press anyone to see if it has proper info
You may have some setting in your router that tells it to disallow devices to connect after reboot, you can go through router settings and see what's going on there, often
192.168.01 or 192.168.1.1 just see your owners manual for proper settings, or go to the OEM website of router for some tips

dez93_2000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Open settings/WiFi/ and you will see all stored hotspots, long press anyone to see if it has proper info
You may have some setting in your router that tells it to disallow devices to connect after reboot, you can go through router settings and see what's going on there, often
192.168.01 or 192.168.1.1 just see your owners manual for proper settings, or go to the OEM website of router for some tips

Good knowledge man, thanks! Didn't know about long-press. Password says "(unchanged)" but if I hit "show password", nothing shows.
I'll check the router settings, that sounds like a promising avenue. Cheers!

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2341
Best of luck!

Faran52
Old
Thanks Meter 4
well I never had issues like these well It doesn't look like router issues because mobile is the one who stores passes

Tags
password, router, wifi, wifi passwords