5,606,722 Members 36,723 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What is the safe max temp for LG G2?

Tip us?
 
hydeah
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 341
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York
Default [Q] What is the safe max temp for LG G2?

I checked this but I did not find it asked/answered here, I kept getting results of other devices.
I am running this modification my G2 and it seems to get hot pretty quickly. I have a case on it and I can feel the heat very easily, gauge is reading 103*F. I know this may not be too hot for other devices, I read 107 or more, but what is the safe temp?


 
G1_enthusiast
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 256
Posts: 1,916
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydeah View Post
I checked this but I did not find it asked/answered here, I kept getting results of other devices.
I am running this modification my G2 and it seems to get hot pretty quickly. I have a case on it and I can feel the heat very easily, gauge is reading 103*F. I know this may not be too hot for other devices, I read 107 or more, but what is the safe temp?


thats only 39C its hot but not dangerously hot. 50C+ is when you need to get worry

you better off install a rom and wootever kernel and UV its...I rarely reach 35C
Phone
HTC Touch pro II -----> Tmobile G1 -----> HTC HD2 -----> Tmobile G2 -----> Samsung galaxy S II -----> Samsung galaxy S3 -----> Sony Xperia "Zed"----->HTC ONE(Thank God, dont ever own a Sony)----->LG G2

Tablet

Tmobile Slate ---------------------> Blackberry playbook ------------------------> Samsung galaxy Tab 10.1 ------------------------>Nexus 7 ------------------------>Nexus 7 Second Gen ------------------------> Dell Venue 8 Pro
 
hydeah
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 341
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1_enthusiast View Post
thats only 39C its hot but not dangerously hot. 50C+ is when you need to get worry

you better off install a rom and wootever kernel and UV its...I rarely reach 35C
The phone never felt this hot before, this happened when I was trying Asphalt game.
I am not rooted, it is running all stock, with most stock bloatware already stopped.
 
G1_enthusiast
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 256
Posts: 1,916
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydeah View Post
The phone never felt this hot before, this happened when I was trying Asphalt game.
I am not rooted, it is running all stock, with most stock bloatware already stopped.
so all the other time you play asphalt it never got that hot?

did u play it with a case all the other times?


could be background process running along with your game causing it to be hot.
Phone
HTC Touch pro II -----> Tmobile G1 -----> HTC HD2 -----> Tmobile G2 -----> Samsung galaxy S II -----> Samsung galaxy S3 -----> Sony Xperia "Zed"----->HTC ONE(Thank God, dont ever own a Sony)----->LG G2

Tablet

Tmobile Slate ---------------------> Blackberry playbook ------------------------> Samsung galaxy Tab 10.1 ------------------------>Nexus 7 ------------------------>Nexus 7 Second Gen ------------------------> Dell Venue 8 Pro
 
hydeah
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 341
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1_enthusiast View Post
so all the other time you play asphalt it never got that hot?

did u play it with a case all the other times?


could be background process running along with your game causing it to be hot.
Since I downloaded it today was the only day I played this long (just 3 races in a row and some browsing here and there on the game screen, that's all) so I don't have any comparison data but I was just curious as to why it got hot so fast. It never felt this hot (hot enough for me to check the temperature) doing anything else, except maybe when I ran 4-5 benchmark apps in a row, I remember it felt pretty warm back then too but cooled down quickly. Also I did not hold the phone on hand when tests were running..
 
G1_enthusiast
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 256
Posts: 1,916
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydeah View Post
Since I downloaded it today was the only day I played this long (just 3 races in a row and some browsing here and there on the game screen, that's all) so I don't have any comparison data but I was just curious as to why it got hot so fast. It never felt this hot (hot enough for me to check the temperature) doing anything else, except maybe when I ran 4-5 benchmark apps in a row, I remember it felt pretty warm back then too but cooled down quickly. Also I did not hold the phone on hand when tests were running..
were u charging at the same time?
Phone
HTC Touch pro II -----> Tmobile G1 -----> HTC HD2 -----> Tmobile G2 -----> Samsung galaxy S II -----> Samsung galaxy S3 -----> Sony Xperia "Zed"----->HTC ONE(Thank God, dont ever own a Sony)----->LG G2

Tablet

Tmobile Slate ---------------------> Blackberry playbook ------------------------> Samsung galaxy Tab 10.1 ------------------------>Nexus 7 ------------------------>Nexus 7 Second Gen ------------------------> Dell Venue 8 Pro
 
hydeah
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 341
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1_enthusiast View Post
were u charging at the same time?
Nope, it wasn't charging.
 
G1_enthusiast
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 256
Posts: 1,916
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydeah View Post
Nope, it wasn't charging.
just try it again, if it get hotter than 40C then your thermal paste might be ****ty and might have to return. if it kept stay around that temperature then your fine. I wouldnt worry about it, but like i said, i rarely get up there.
Phone
HTC Touch pro II -----> Tmobile G1 -----> HTC HD2 -----> Tmobile G2 -----> Samsung galaxy S II -----> Samsung galaxy S3 -----> Sony Xperia "Zed"----->HTC ONE(Thank God, dont ever own a Sony)----->LG G2

Tablet

Tmobile Slate ---------------------> Blackberry playbook ------------------------> Samsung galaxy Tab 10.1 ------------------------>Nexus 7 ------------------------>Nexus 7 Second Gen ------------------------> Dell Venue 8 Pro
 
hydeah
Old
(Last edited by hydeah; 4th December 2013 at 06:41 AM.)
#9  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 341
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1_enthusiast View Post
just try it again, if it get hotter than 40C then your thermal paste might be ****ty and might have to return. if it kept stay around that temperature then your fine. I wouldnt worry about it, but like i said, i rarely get up there.
Thanks, I am going to give it another run tomorrow after it is fully charged at %100 I am going to play the game for about 10-15 minutes report back with temp.

Then I will let it cool off, close all unnecessary applications and then try again and report back.
Is this actually battery temp or processor temp? I assume it is processor because the hot portion is actually top, right around the camera. Should I be checking any other temp gauges?

What rom are you running? I wanted to root and run a rom, but it seems like all roms are either nightlies or release candidates, there isn't even a stable 4.2 rom for G2 D800.
Edit:
I just saw CM 10.2 has finally been released as stable but there are still some reports of serious bugs, and a poster said this should be final before development on CM 11 begins.
 
Hammer_Of_The_Gods
Old
(Last edited by Hammer_Of_The_Gods; 4th December 2013 at 07:37 AM.)
#10  
Hammer_Of_The_Gods's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4507
Posts: 4,431
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: TOURS
Hi,

Do not confuse CPU temperature and battery temperature... Here guys (at least hydeah) you are talking about battery temperature, not CPU temperature.

40/45 C for battery is not abnormal, an average 70 C for the CPU temperature is not abnormal when you are playing games for example. In any case there is a thermal throttling to prevent a real overheating...

And according to the Thermal files in /system/etc the max battery temperature is 52/54 C (and 120 C for the CPU before shutdown)...

These threads about temperature bother me, even all the threads wich reports "overheating" are all expect real overheating, but only misinformation or whatsoever...

Guys you have a quadcore at 2,26 Ghz... what do you expect playing an heavy games 30 C CPU temperature and 20 C battery temperature???

With this mod (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2479892) it's normal that your phone runs a bit warmer, the max CPU temperature before thermal throttling is increased to 70 C...
But in any case the thermal throttling still exists...

There is plenty of thread like this one, use the search function and you will see that your temperature is normal.

Do the conversion for the degrees fahrenheit


 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
The OP is the best place to keep a secret because nobody reads it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hammer_Of_The_Gods For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

One-Handed Mode Ported to the Samsung Galaxy S4

People may not realize it much, but this fascination with larger screen sizes on smartphones … more

Speed up the ROM or Kernel Build Process

Creating a kernel, ROM, or any other development projectrequires knowledge and tools. While … more

Google Glass Now Open to Anyone… with $1500 to Spend (Update: Not Anymore)

Google Glass, which recently received its official update … more