XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Yellow Tint ?

Tip us?

dev87
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Yellow Tint ?

I just received my LG G Pad 8.3 from Newegg last night. So far, it's been a great experience. Looks good. I bought a Tab 3 8.0 during a sale at Staples last week, but when I saw the Cyber Monday deal on new egg, I jumped on it.

My question is this : After running a few processor oriented programs ( Antutu stability, etc ) , when I open up a browser tab ( white background or something similar ) I notice a yellow thin line (not a single line, however.. its a little thick) at the top end of the screen ( towards the front camera ). It is much more visible when I use the tablet in landscape mode ( when the screen rotates - and the tint shows up on the left hand side of the tablet ).
Is this normal? I can feel the heat under the screen (it is warm under the tint area) but, the tint is visible and its noticeably yellow. I do not see the blue line as some of you have mentioned on the forums.

I am not sure if this is much of an issue, to require a return. But, I just want to make sure I don't have a tablet which has a screen issue. I noticed it last night while using it after an hour of use, so I think it's visible for the most part (because someone else did not mention it to me )

Does anybody else have this issue ?

Also, compared to the Tab 3 screen, the screen has almost a 30% decrease in brightness. E.g The tab 3 at 50% is equal to the screen brightness of the LG pad at 80%. Lastly, the screen does seem to be pretty warm (color K) in comparison to the Tab 3. I don't know if that is necessarily a bad thing, but I did notice that while doing a side by side comparison of the two tablets.

Any info on the above issue would be greatly appreciated

snaketooth2007
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Default pic

i just got my today at the newegg cyber Monday deal and i don't have that problem. Can you upload a picture

dev87
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketooth2007 View Post
i just got my today at the newegg cyber Monday deal and i don't have that problem. Can you upload a picture
Unfortunately, due to my account being new, xda does not allow me to upload links or images. I've searched around the internet and I've read a couple of posts where people say that once the adhesive or "some other material " eases out on the screen, the tint slowly goes away (possibly a week or so) It is noticeably yellowish (color wise) in comparison to my Galaxy Tab 3. I'll keep on using it for the next week or so and see if the problem persists or declines.

I'll post pictures once my account reaches the link-free level.

woody1
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev87 View Post
Unfortunately, due to my account being new, xda does not allow me to upload links or images. I've searched around the internet and I've read a couple of posts where people say that once the adhesive or "some other material " eases out on the screen, the tint slowly goes away (possibly a week or so) It is noticeably yellowish (color wise) in comparison to my Galaxy Tab 3. I'll keep on using it for the next week or so and see if the problem persists or declines.

I'll post pictures once my account reaches the link-free level.
I don't see it either.

dev87
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
RMA'ed the device through NewEgg for a replacement. The screen looked very yellowish in comparison to some review videos (posted on youtube). In addition, I wasn't able to ignore the yellow line on the screen while viewing it on white backgrounds.

I'm disappointed with the brightness and color reproduction compared to my Tab 3 8.0, but since I paid a fair price for it (249),I'm keeping the device. I'm hoping the replacement device will be better than the first unit I received through NewEgg. I've read several varying posts on the screen. It seems to me that there are units with an overall yellowish tint on them, whereas others do not have this issue. My desktop monitor (HP zr24w) has pretty good color reproduction, and in comparing my unit to the unit being reviewed on screen, my device had a much much warmer screen overall.
It was very similar to running Flux on my desktop at 3800k. None of the reviews not mention anything about the screen being so warm. Once I receive a replacement, I'll update the thread. If the problem is isolated to certain devices, I'd advise a replacement or return.

antigravity
Old
(Last edited by antigravity; 13th December 2013 at 10:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Looks like I have the same problem with my G Pad. I have a yellow patch at the top left of the screen and bottom right also.

Seems to come and go depending on usage, so I assume it's heat related?

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

tdodd
Old
Thanks Meter 75
I don't have a problem with patches, but the colour accuracy of the display is terrible. Here is my G Pad at full brightness vs my full gamut RGB backlit IPS display at 80% brightness....

The photo makes things look vastly worse than the way the human eye perceives the difference, but there is no denying that the cast is significant.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

I don't have a problem with patches, but the colour accuracy of the display is terrible. Here is my G Pad at full brightness vs my full gamut RGB backlit IPS display at 80% brightness....

The photo makes things look vastly worse than the way the human eye perceives the difference, but there is no denying that the cast is significant.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 running stock 4.4.2
LG G Pad 8.3 running stock LGE 4.4.2 (rooted)
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 running stock 4.1.2 (rooted)
ZTE Blade running CM 7.2

pkoper
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 470
I only had a quick glance at this thread but I too get a yellow tint in the top part of the screen when the tab gets a bit warmer.

Within ten minutes of watching full hd mkv the brightness also throttles down.

evak2979
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoper View Post
I only had a quick glance at this thread but I too get a yellow tint in the top part of the screen when the tab gets a bit warmer.

Within ten minutes of watching full hd mkv the brightness also throttles down.
Appears to be quite a common issue. Returned my 4th lg pad today for this reason.
Will be gunning for the sammy 8.4...

Great idea by LG, very poor execution

pkoper
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 470
4th one?????

That's just crazy and a shame because else the tab is really nice.