[Q] Update via Kies

Tip us?

theccentric
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Update via Kies

Hello,

Sorry for the Noob questions but here goes... Device info first, then the questions

Rooted T989 with Bombaridier ROM (from galaxys2root . com)
ROM Specifics -
Current Firmware Version (per Kies) - PDA:KID / PHONE:KID / CSC:KID
Android Version - 2.3.5
Baseband Version - UVKID
Kernel Version - 2.6.35.11 (Synergy kernel)

...and the questions

1. Can I update via Kies since ROM is not Stock and device is Rooted, or will it fail. ( I get prompted by Kies everytime I connect the phone, asking me if I want to upgrade the firmware version )
2. If successful, will I lose root after flashing
3. Will new ROM contain all the T-Mobile bloatware and other crap that I don't want or need
4. Does anyone know which Android version (4.?.?) was last released for this phone / correlates to this firmware that it will get updated to from Kies? PDA:MC6 / PHONE: MC6 / CSC:MC6 (TMB) is what Kies is offering
5. If answer to question #3 is "Yes, bloatware and other useless crap will be there", than would someone be so kind as to recommend a fast, stable, bug-free JB ROM with good battery life for this phone?

Many thanks in advance, and apologies for the multitide of questions.

Regards.

akeem127
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by theccentric View Post
Hello,

Sorry for the Noob questions but here goes... Device info first, then the questions

Rooted T989 with Bombaridier ROM (from galaxys2root . com)
ROM Specifics -
Current Firmware Version (per Kies) - PDA:KID / PHONE:KID / CSC:KID
Android Version - 2.3.5
Baseband Version - UVKID
Kernel Version - 2.6.35.11 (Synergy kernel)

...and the questions

1. Can I update via Kies since ROM is not Stock and device is Rooted, or will it fail. ( I get prompted by Kies everytime I connect the phone, asking me if I want to upgrade the firmware version )
2. If successful, will I lose root after flashing
3. Will new ROM contain all the T-Mobile bloatware and other crap that I don't want or need
4. Does anyone know which Android version (4.?.?) was last released for this phone / correlates to this firmware that it will get updated to from Kies? PDA:MC6 / PHONE: MC6 / CSC:MC6 (TMB) is what Kies is offering
5. If answer to question #3 is "Yes, bloatware and other useless crap will be there", than would someone be so kind as to recommend a fast, stable, bug-free JB ROM with good battery life for this phone?

Many thanks in advance, and apologies for the multitide of questions.

Regards.
1. If your phone is detected by KIES, the phone should update no problem.
2. You will lose root but it is very easy to gain it back.
3. Yes it will contain bloatware. Currently I am using Speed Stock Reloaded.
4. The android version is 4.1.2
Device(s): LG/Google Nexus 5 (PRIMARY DEVICE)
ROM: Completely Stock
SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 T989 (Available as a beta tester)
ROM: Speed Stock Reloaded
Battery: Stock 1850mAh

theccentric
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Update via Kies

FYI...

Flashed the phone via Kies update with no problems. Lost root, but re-rooted. Used Titanium Backup to backup and delete all the crap that was not needed, and created a backup with ROM Manager. Phone was running great with Stock 4.1.2 but then flashed with SuperNexus ROM for a more vanilla Android experience since I was giving the phone to my wife. Very fast, stable and problem free ROM if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the information. Much obliged