Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,481 Members 54,108 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AT&T LG G2 Tethering Help

Tip us?

Pogee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] AT&T LG G2 Tethering Help

Hello,

I just purchased a AT&T LG G2 and None of the WiFi or USB Tethering Apps that I have tried from the Google Play store work on the phone.
Is this a problem with this AT&T LG G2 phone or is there a way to get tethering to work. I am not technically inclined, just a phone user.

I would gladly pay someone to help me get WiFi or USB tethering to work on my phone.

In OC, CA

Casey060492
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Have you rooted your device yet? If not, then I don't know of any way to get it working.

If you are rooted, I was able to change a sql database value to unlock tethering (as I am unlocked on T-Mobile on a D800).

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

coalsi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hey Casey, I have the same device, looking to unlock tethering on T-Mobile as well, can you explain what you did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey060492 View Post
Have you rooted your device yet? If not, then I don't know of any way to get it working.

If you are rooted, I was able to change a sql database value to unlock tethering (as I am unlocked on T-Mobile on a D800).

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

kimtyson
Old
Thanks Meter 538
OP-
If you haven't rooted or done anything to the phone then take it to the ATT store and have them look into it. It may just be a bad phone. Warranty return it.
If you have rooted (and your wifi worked before) then do what I did. Install AEON v3 in the ATT Dev thread. The tether works perfectly, just like the entire ROM. I take another step though. I use ibVPN so they don't know what my data is. I don't really think you even need a VPN because the ROM is not based on the ATT base, so it isn't even looking for your tether.
Please use search before posting your question.
Be kind to the devs! Without them, XDA is just a bunch of jerks bickering.
The Following User Says Thank You to kimtyson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Casey060492
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalsi View Post
Hey Casey, I have the same device, looking to unlock tethering on T-Mobile as well, can you explain what you did?
I used SQLite to modify the file: /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

In the system database there is an entry with ID: 2771, named tether_entitlement_check_state. Originally the value was set to 5 but I changed it to 0. I then rebooted and tethering was working great for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Casey060492 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

James7Bond007
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
I used SQLite to modify the file: /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

In the system database there is an entry with ID: 2771, named tether_entitlement_check_state. Originally the value was set to 5 but I changed it to 0. I then rebooted and tethering was working great for me.
I just checked on my Sprint G2 and, unfortunately, there's so such setting in that DB. I looked at the other tables in the settings.db and only "tether_dun_required" (set to 1) in global and "tethering_time" (set to 600000) in system.

raikol
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogee View Post
Hello,

I just purchased a AT&T LG G2 and None of the WiFi or USB Tethering Apps that I have tried from the Google Play store work on the phone.
Is this a problem with this AT&T LG G2 phone or is there a way to get tethering to work. I am not technically inclined, just a phone user.

I would gladly pay someone to help me get WiFi or USB tethering to work on my phone.

In OC, CA
You will either have to pay AT&T for tethering or root your phone and install a custom rom. They have a tether entitlement check on their phones.

Sent from my LG D-800 with Tapatalk

bigpappa
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by James7Bond007 View Post
I just checked on my Sprint G2 and, unfortunately, there's so such setting in that DB. I looked at the other tables in the settings.db and only "tether_dun_required" (set to 1) in global and "tethering_time" (set to 600000) in system.
Any chance setting tether dun required to "0" might help? Id.check myself but im still waiting on zv8 update before I root.

James7Bond007
Old
(Last edited by James7Bond007; 12th December 2013 at 12:15 AM.) Reason: more info
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpappa View Post
Any chance setting tether dun required to "0" might help? Id.check myself but im still waiting on zv8 update before I root.
I'm guessing this wouldn't do the trick, as dun is "dial up networking" I believe. I'd test it, but I'm actually unsure of how to *change* the database. It turns out sqlite generally doesn't come on production (non-dev) builds of Android, so it wasn't on the G2. I tried pushing some sqlite3 binaries I found online to the phone, but none would run. I then tried pulling the settings.db from the phone and reading it with sqlite3 for Windows. This would also let me change the setting, but I'm not sure if I could just push the settings.db file back onto the phone since there were other files in the same directory (settings.db.[some other extensions]) ... and I wanted to avoid corrupting the db to the extent that I bricked my phone (as unlikely as that may have been).

If anyone knows of a sqlite3 binary that will run on the G2, I'd be happy to give the dun setting a try (but again, I'm not optimistic this will do the trick for us Sprint users).

Also, I just got the zv8 update this morning, so you should be getting it any day now. I didn't root my phone 100%; I just copied over the g2_security file from the ioroot 1.1 zip so that adb would give me a root shell. Apparently installing the su binary and superuser.apk trips some sort of flag on the G2 that voids your warranty and may or may not be resettable.

ledev
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default AT&T LG G2 Tether Mod Works!

Quote:

This worked perfectly for me,however, it wasn't ID 2771 for my phone. I used search term "tether" in the system database and found the field under ID 854. I changed the value to 0 and it works great using the stock Tether application that comes with the phone. You may need to reboot the phone after making the change..

I could never get either wifi tether or wifi tether TrevE Mod to work for me.