Taking a Spring S4 over to Straight Talk?

Search This thread

Dlnp22

Mar 23, 2011
Hello folks! I've been rooting Android devices since the OEM Droid, but I feel out of my depth with my new endeavor :)

I just scooped up a brand new Sprint S4 on the cheap via craigslist(literally 30 mins ago).... but here's the plan:

I plan on taking this new S4 over to Straight Talk to see how I like it. But, I've NEVER transferred a device between carriers before, and don't know what the crap I'm doing. I'm assuming I need to unlock the phone before activating with Straight Talk(not a problem, I'm sure I can get 'er done. I've only ever unlocked AND rooted both together, but assuming I can figure it out).

But after I activate with Straight Talk am I up a creek as far as flashing new ROMS on the device? Can I still root and flash (whatever) via this same device thread?

I'm coming from a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I'm actually out of contract for the first time in 17 years, and almost can't believe it. The stock S4 is light years better than my rooted and overclocked Nexus, so worst case scenario, I'm plenty happy with staying stock if I'm SOL. But I'd LOVE to tinker with this puppy if I'm able to.

A good shove in the right direction would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks for taking to read this post!

Dlnp22

Mar 23, 2011
it would appear I didn't do enough homework :) Looks like I've got my work cut out for me just to get the dang phone to work with Straight Talk.

jusinjusin

Jun 17, 2007
Your best bet to get your CDMA phone working with them is to call customer service to check out the ESN. Or if you get good t-mobile or att reception in your area, you could always unlock it and pick up an att or tmo sim card to use.

There is this thread that shows how to unlock a Sprint S4 for domestic GSM carriers if you're interested...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2530610

Reactions: imbmiller

KStyles69

Apr 11, 2013
South Haven
Hello folks! I've been rooting Android devices since the OEM Droid, but I feel out of my depth with my new endeavor :)

I just scooped up a brand new Sprint S4 on the cheap via craigslist(literally 30 mins ago).... but here's the plan:

I plan on taking this new S4 over to Straight Talk to see how I like it. But, I've NEVER transferred a device between carriers before, and don't know what the crap I'm doing. I'm assuming I need to unlock the phone before activating with Straight Talk(not a problem, I'm sure I can get 'er done. I've only ever unlocked AND rooted both together, but assuming I can figure it out).

But after I activate with Straight Talk am I up a creek as far as flashing new ROMS on the device? Can I still root and flash (whatever) via this same device thread?

I'm coming from a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I'm actually out of contract for the first time in 17 years, and almost can't believe it. The stock S4 is light years better than my rooted and overclocked Nexus, so worst case scenario, I'm plenty happy with staying stock if I'm SOL. But I'd LOVE to tinker with this puppy if I'm able to.

A good shove in the right direction would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks for taking to read this post!

Again, on top of our private messages... I'm on straight talk and so far very happy. Only thing I can complain about is not having 4g...which I never had, so I've never experienced it. The flash service through ebay, the guy will take control of your PC and you can have it done when the flasher scheduled you a time. I bought my s4 on ebay with a bad ESN for like $389 a month after release. Also, the native hotspot doesnt work, but works once you flash the hotspot hack and use a widget from the playstore to turn it on/off it works perfectly. I personally use exlir 2 as my widget. I'm on a Sprint phone and it's flashed to Verizon's towers too, which is better in most areas. Other then that, for rooting/ROM purposes, I have zero issues. Signal/GPS is perfect. It even takes the OTA updates as long as your pure stock.:good: Using Odin .tar files is okay.

On second thought, the ebay service is illegal...your cloning a phone. Straight Talk thinks I have a Blackberry :eek:

Dlnp22

Mar 23, 2011
Again, on top of our private messages... I'm on straight talk and so far very happy. Only thing I can complain about is not having 4g...which I never had, so I've never experienced it. The flash service through ebay, the guy will take control of your PC and you can have it done when the flasher scheduled you a time. I bought my s4 on ebay with a bad ESN for like $389 a month after release. Also, the native hotspot doesnt work, but works once you flash the hotspot hack and use a widget from the playstore to turn it on/off it works perfectly. I personally use exlir 2 as my widget. I'm on a Sprint phone and it's flashed to Verizon's towers too, which is better in most areas. Other then that, for rooting/ROM purposes, I have zero issues. Signal/GPS is perfect. It even takes the OTA updates as long as your pure stock.:good: Using Odin .tar files is okay.

On second thought, the ebay service is illegal...your cloning a phone. Straight Talk thinks I have a Blackberry :eek:

I know I'm late in responding, but you made a point I found out after the fact. No 4G when taking the CDMA phone over to Straight Talk. This was a deal killer for me. I've since turned the phone on craigslist, and am looking for an AT&T version now :)

My only question is- How do you flash for specific towers?

oclark1011

Dec 10, 2013
congrats

congrats on being out of contract...I love straighttalk, paid a whole year off at once......use hotspot often...last month got 90 gb of data usage....I used my tmo note 2....but I have 2 sprint s4's that I would love to take to ST....if it works out well for you please let me know

Dlnp22

Mar 23, 2011
congrats on being out of contract...I love straighttalk, paid a whole year off at once......use hotspot often...last month got 90 gb of data usage....I used my tmo note 2....but I have 2 sprint s4's that I would love to take to ST....if it works out well for you please let me know

1 week in and LOVING it. So long VZW.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your best bet to get your CDMA phone working with them is to call customer service to check out the ESN. Or if you get good t-mobile or att reception in your area, you could always unlock it and pick up an att or tmo sim card to use.

There is this thread that shows how to unlock a Sprint S4 for domestic GSM carriers if you're interested...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2530610