5,595,918 Members 31,003 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to deal with/fix a broken power button

Tip us?
 
Kevinthebox
Old
(Last edited by Kevinthebox; 17th May 2012 at 07:45 AM.)
#1  
Kevinthebox's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 34
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Cali

 
DONATE TO ME
Post [GUIDE] How to deal with/fix a broken power button

The myTouch 4g is a good, reliable phone. When, rooted, it is even better. We happily flash ROMS away, without a care in the world. One day, however, your power button just stops working . Dread, fear, and despair right? Well there is hope! If your power button doesn't work, there are a couple of things you can do before you head for the wallet to spend big bucks on a new phone.


1. Send to HTC.
The most recommended thing to do is to check if your phone has warranty and send it in to HTC if it does. You can either call (preferable) or send in a e-mail. Remember, even if you are rooted and you send in you phone with a custom ROM, HTC will not charge you unless you remove the "VOID" sticker in the back. This is the painless, easiest method, with little effort required, *although you will have to survive without your phone for atleast a week (which was hell)


No warranty?

If your phone is out of warranty, or if you removed the VOID sticker for whatever reason and Dont feel like paying HTC $125 to fix it, there a couple of things you can do.

2. Jury-Rigging (self-fix method)
This method is for those that are comfortable opening up their phone and want to fix the power button for themselves.

*Tools: aluminum foil, Torx T5 screwdriver, small phillips screwdriver, safe-open pry tool.

This idea was inspired from XDA user jjbadd385 who mentioned in a thread I can't quite remember that he had turned on his phone by using aluminum foil to touch the actual power button underneath the outer casing. I recommend using this thread and video http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1591388 to safely open up the phone. Ofcourse, you wont need to dismantle the whole phone, all you need to do is remove the outer casing (black rubber thing the surrounds the edges of the phone). Just do the First step from the guide provided. BE CAREFUL not too lose a little spring that is located near the power button, without it your power button will feel like "its stuck", but the spring itself is NOT necessary to turn the phone on. You will then see your actual power button at the top of your phone. Now here comes the fun part. Using your eyes, and common sense, cut out a small piece of aluminum foil that is about roughly the same size as the power button. Using your hands or the pry tool, bend the aluminum so that it comfortably fits in that little square area directly on top of the power button. Now carefully put the rubber casing back, be wary of the aluminum falling out of place. It may take some patience, but it shouldn't be too difficult. If put correctly, your phone should now start up! Now your power button should work whenever you click it
***If for some reason it doesn't, there could be a problem with the actual ribbon itself (which would be unfixable unless u bought a new ribbon), but most likely the aluminum foil probably was not placed right or was moved putting the casing back on.
****If enough people request, I'll probably make of video/picture slides of the Jury-Rigging method, but right now I have to study for my Sociology test and I'm too lazy

************************************************** *****************

Want to turn on your phone, but you don't have the tools for the Jury-rigging method and you need your phone NOW?

If you are UNROOTED: (this method is untested by me) From doing a quick google search, there have been people who have turned on their myTouch 4g by simply connecting the phone to the charger and immediately holding the HOME button for about 5-10 seconds. Some have had success with this, but personally, It has not worked for me.


If you are ROOTED and your phone has these things:
  • Clockworkmod Recovery 5
    ADB debugging enabled

You must have adb debugging already enabled on your phone or else this will not work! Even though the phone is powered off, commands somehow still go to the phone!

Make sure to set up ADB on your computer (there are multiple guides in XDA)
-Then simply connect your phone to your computer, open your terminal. Check to see if your computer reads your device by running this command:

Code:
adb devices
If your computer reads it, then you'll be all set!

Then, run the command:

Code:
adb reboot
Give me lifeee! Your phone should then reboot!

THANKS
to jjbadd
to repairsuniverse for the excellent video/instructions
to my myTouch 4g. Its a love/hate relationship
to anyone else i somehow forgot
and to XDA --sharing is caring

**** Please Give "thanks" if I helped revive your phone and please donate to my college books fund!!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kevinthebox For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jjbadd385
Old
#2  
jjbadd385's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 157
Posts: 473
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Laurens S.C.
I want to add that underneath the outer case, and sitting on top of the flex ribbon, is a very very small piece, that adds that "spring" to the outer button itself, & it falls out of place. Mine did, and to my suprise, when I opened my phone, I apparently lost it because it was nowhere in sight. Also, I have a 4ext recovery image, that was compiled specifically for me by madmaxx82, that when I flashed it, I can power my phone completely down, then plug in the charger, & it will automatically boot up into recovery. I then select "reboot" and it reboots my phone normally. It's a neat little utility, that keeps me from cracking my phone open.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium
The Following User Says Thank You to jjbadd385 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Kevinthebox
Old
#3  
Kevinthebox's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 34
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Cali

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbadd385 View Post
I want to add that underneath the outer case, and sitting on top of the flex ribbon, is a very very small piece, that adds that "spring" to the outer button itself, & it falls out of place. Mine did, and to my suprise, when I opened my phone, I apparently lost it because it was nowhere in sight. Also, I have a 4ext recovery image, that was compiled specifically for me by madmaxx82, that when I flashed it, I can power my phone completely down, then plug in the charger, & it will automatically boot up into recovery. I then select "reboot" and it reboots my phone normally. It's a neat little utility, that keeps me from cracking my phone open.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium
yeah, I too lost the spring as well! good catch!!
I too use to do pretty much the same thing (plug-in the phone to turn it on) But now with the aluminum foil in-place inside the phone, I can use the power button whenever!

Thanks again for the insight about using aluminum foil!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevinthebox For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mytouch4g-user
Old
(Last edited by mytouch4g-user; 4th June 2012 at 01:10 AM.) Reason: typo
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default Alternate material option

I had a similar issue with my power button and came to this solution also but instead of aluminum foil I used a piece of disposable aluminum cookie sheet because it was thicker and has some spring in it. I started with aluminum and it didn't work so well - I think the aluminum foil deforms too much to work reliably over multiple operations.

But if you can get your phone replaced by the carrier or manufacturer do it because these things aren't made to be repaired.
The Following User Says Thank You to mytouch4g-user For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Kevinthebox
Old
#5  
Kevinthebox's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 34
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Cali

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytouch4g-user View Post
I had a similar issue with my power button and came to this solution also but instead of aluminum foil I used a piece of disposable aluminum cookie sheet because it was thicker and has some spring in it. I started with aluminum and it didn't work so well - I think the aluminum foil deforms too much to work reliably over multiple operations.

But if you can get your phone replaced by the carrier or manufacturer do it because these things aren't made to be repaired.
Good call, the cookie sheet was certainly tougher, but not much of a big difference i guess.
Thank for the tip :)

And yeah, HTC seriously f'ed p with the power button in this phone. It was just desined pretty much to fail evntually lol.
"First examine our attitude towards peace itself. Too many of us think it is impossible. But that is a dangerous, defeatist belief. It leads to the conclusion that war is inevitable, that mankind is doomed, that we are gripped by forces we cannot control. We need not accept that view. Our problems are manmade; therefore, they can be solved by man. Man's reason and spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable, and we believe they can do it again."
-JFK
 
elivaldez84
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 28
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Benito
Hey man would you be so kind to sharing that little piece of genius with me/us? Im one of the unfortunate ones that has this problem. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbadd385 View Post
I want to add that underneath the outer case, and sitting on top of the flex ribbon, is a very very small piece, that adds that "spring" to the outer button itself, & it falls out of place. Mine did, and to my suprise, when I opened my phone, I apparently lost it because it was nowhere in sight. Also, I have a 4ext recovery image, that was compiled specifically for me by madmaxx82, that when I flashed it, I can power my phone completely down, then plug in the charger, & it will automatically boot up into recovery. I then select "reboot" and it reboots my phone normally. It's a neat little utility, that keeps me from cracking my phone open.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium
 
Kevinthebox
Old
#7  
Kevinthebox's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 34
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Cali

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by elivaldez84 View Post
Hey man would you be so kind to sharing that little piece of genius with me/us? Im one of the unfortunate ones that has this problem. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check your PM. I'll try to help anyway I can. If anything re-read the guide
"First examine our attitude towards peace itself. Too many of us think it is impossible. But that is a dangerous, defeatist belief. It leads to the conclusion that war is inevitable, that mankind is doomed, that we are gripped by forces we cannot control. We need not accept that view. Our problems are manmade; therefore, they can be solved by man. Man's reason and spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable, and we believe they can do it again."
-JFK
 
cleila
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default Thank you so much! Foil method worked perfectly when I thought my phone was doomed.

Quote:
This idea was inspired from XDA user jjbadd385 who mentioned in a thread I can't quite remember that he had turned on his phone by using aluminum foil to touch the actual power button underneath the outer casing. I recommend using this thread and video http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1591388 to safely open up the phone. Ofcourse, you wont need to dismantle the whole phone, all you need to do is remove the outer casing (black rubber thing the surrounds the edges of the phone). Just do the First step from the guide provided. BE CAREFUL not too lose a little spring that is located near the power button, without it your power button will feel like "its stuck", but the spring itself is NOT necessary to turn the phone on. You will then see your actual power button at the top of your phone. Now here comes the fun part. Using your eyes, and common sense, cut out a small piece of aluminum foil that is about roughly the same size as the power button. Using your hands or the pry tool, bend the aluminum so that it comfortably fits in that little square area directly on top of the power button. Now carefully put the rubber casing back, be wary of the aluminum falling out of place. It may take some patience, but it shouldn't be too difficult. If put correctly, your phone should now start up! Now your power button should work whenever you click it
My phone would not turn on after I dropped it on a hard floor for at least the hundredth time (Silly name aside, I LOVE this phone for its durability and the fact that I bought it almost 2 years ago and its features are still on par with most phones out there!!). I had almost bought a new phone earlier in the day before trying one last time to find a solution online. I am so glad I found this post!

I used the foil method, although I didn't have a torx 5 handy, I was able to safely pry the frame apart enough to access the power button and put some foil on it. I am pretty sure I lost the spring before I even attempted the fix. There was also a small amber plastic square with a small metal bump in the center covering the switch poles - seemed like it might have once had to do with powering on the phone, but I took it out and now the phone powers on fine with the foil.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING!!!
 
simplyrafa8
Old
#9  
simplyrafa8's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 124
Posts: 588
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Yuma, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbadd385 View Post
I want to add that underneath the outer case, and sitting on top of the flex ribbon, is a very very small piece, that adds that "spring" to the outer button itself, & it falls out of place. Mine did, and to my suprise, when I opened my phone, I apparently lost it because it was nowhere in sight. Also, I have a 4ext recovery image, that was compiled specifically for me by madmaxx82, that when I flashed it, I can power my phone completely down, then plug in the charger, & it will automatically boot up into recovery. I then select "reboot" and it reboots my phone normally. It's a neat little utility, that keeps me from cracking my phone open.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium
You should share that recovery image
 
jjbadd385
Old
#10  
jjbadd385's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 157
Posts: 473
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Laurens S.C.
I lost it. I asked him for it again and he sent it..but it don't work for me now. However if u email madmaxx82.. tell him what u want, I'm almost positive he will oblige. He a really cool dude. I've since put foil under my button and its working great.

Sent from my Dark Unicorn Ressurected HTC Glacier

Tags
broken, fix, guide to fix power button, mt4g, power button
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes