There is no user signup, you never need to give any details, and you never even need to start the application (except for the first time). Awaaz runs in the background and automatically takes over any phone calls that meet its requirements. You just need to install and run it once, and you're done!
Awaaz is completely free.
- Establishes a direct P2P connection between the two phones. Capable of punching a hole through NAT, or being used on the same internal network.
- Uses the Opus codec for unmatched voice clarity.
- Uses just 8 KB/s of bandwidth (upstream and downstream combined).
- Uses a hybrid cryptographic system to exchange a 256-bit AES key using 2048-bit RSA. New public and private keys are generated every single time, thus theoretically making decryption impossible.
- Uses GCM (Google Cloud Messaging) for push messages thus eliminating the need to run a service in the background.
- Has the ability to use 3G / 4G as well. Please enable the option in the preferences if you want it.
- All calls are logged in your regular call history.
HOW TO USE:
- Install and run it once. The app will register itself on the server.
- There is no Step 2! From here on, when you make an outgoing call the app will automatically check if the other person also has it installed, and if both phones are connected to WiFi. If so, Awaaz will automatically take over the call and you will see a slightly different calling screen. The same is true for incoming calls.
If you have any trouble with an ongoing call, hit the "X" button on the bottom-left to terminate the app and make a regular call.
As of version 3.00, you can see which of your contacts are currently online by running the app.
Play Store Link
To stay current with the latest & greatest version of Awaaz, please sign up to be a beta tester using the following links -
First, join the Google+ community that has access to the beta
Second, agree to be a tester!
I am highly dependent on feedback from users like you! Please share your opinion here, and if you have any suggestions or complaints just let me know. Also, do mention which phones are at both ends of the conversation, since a lot of issues are handset specific.
Speakerphone is noisy. Echo cancellation is required and pending.
VOTE FOR AWAAZ:
If you enjoy using Awaaz, please consider nominating it for an award using the link below!