[Q] Cracked screen and no access to files

Tip us?

Coldfirex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Cracked screen and no access to files

Howdy,
My wife's screen got shattered the other day. It turns on, but does not respond to touch at all. When I plug it in via USB to a PC it does not pull up as a drive (only charges). The phone is not rooted, runs stock Sprint firmware, and for some reason I am unable to get into the recovery mode (fast boot or whatever). I was thinking I could buy a female usb to micro usb male, plug in a usb mouse and use that to enable mass storage, but it looks like that isn't supported from what I could tell. Is that correct?
If it isn't supported, any other ideas to try to get data off of the phone?
Thanks!

Whiplashh
Old
Thanks Meter 1391
Is adb debugging checked?

-Whiplashh

"I think a ducks opinion of me is heavily influenced by whether I have bread or not."
Need Help? Private Message me! Don't forget to hit that thanks button if I helped!
-
Devices: Evo Shift 4G (Dead) - Evo 4g (OG) - Sprint LG Optimus S - Sprint Galaxy S3 - Sprint Optimus G (LGOG) - Google Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM: All running Stock or some form of Cyanogenmod. (CM7, 10, or 11). Except the Galaxy S3, it has some Wicked Sensations.
Current Devices: Sprint Optimus G, Google Nexus 7

Coldfirex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplashh View Post
Is adb debugging checked?

-Whiplashh

"I think a ducks opinion of me is heavily influenced by whether I have bread or not."
It is not. I was under the impression that it required root which this phone does not have.

Whiplashh
Old
Thanks Meter 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfirex View Post
It is not. I was under the impression that it required root which this phone does not have.
It doesn't. It is in developer settings.
You can not in no way get into bootloader/recovery?

-Whiplashh

Need Help? Private Message me! Don't forget to hit that thanks button if I helped!
-
Devices: Evo Shift 4G (Dead) - Evo 4g (OG) - Sprint LG Optimus S - Sprint Galaxy S3 - Sprint Optimus G (LGOG) - Google Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM: All running Stock or some form of Cyanogenmod. (CM7, 10, or 11). Except the Galaxy S3, it has some Wicked Sensations.
Current Devices: Sprint Optimus G, Google Nexus 7

Coldfirex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
For some reason no. When I try I just get the LG bootscreen and then it cycles as long as I am holding down the vol and power button. Works just fine on my LGoG which is rooted, etc.

Garrett MT
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Should Plan A not work...

I don't mean to get ahead of you, and I don't know of a way to retrieve your information without being able to select "Connect as Media Device" on your touchscreen...but if you plan on getting the same replacement device from Asurion (Sprint Insurance), you could very easily do a motherboard swap between your defective phone and your replacement.

Assuming you file a claim online or at your local Sprint store, just be sure (if asked) to NOT have your replacement device be sent pre-activated. That way, when your motherboards get swapped between the two devices, your original ESN will still be active in its new body. All of your original data (pictures, contacts, SMS, music, etc) will be there. Device works just like it did before, and you'll be sending back the new motherboard with your broken screen. You get all new parts, like your charging port, speakerphone, LCD\TSP, etc but you get to retain all of your information. Asurion doesn't care what ESN they get back, as long as it's the model\brand device they believe it's supposed to be (Optimus G for an Optimus G).

I've been repairing phones at a Sprint store for over 3 years, so if you cannot get your information retrieved and want to try swapping motherboards, please let me know. The swap would take you roughly 45 minutes if you've never done it before, or bring it to a local Sprint store. I'm sure there are also plenty of others on this site who could help as well, but good luck!

Andrew

devo3d
Old
Thanks Meter 23
[QUOTE=Coldfirex;48131730]Howdy,
My wife's screen got shattered the other day. It turns on, but does not respond to touch at all. When I plug it in via USB to a PC it does not pull up as a drive (only charges). The phone is not rooted, runs stock Sprint firmware, and for some reason I am unable to get into the recovery mode (fast boot or whatever). I was thinking I could buy a female usb to micro usb male, plug in a usb mouse and use that to enable mass storage, but it looks like that isn't supported from what I could tell. Is that correct?
If it isn't supported, any other ideas to try to get data off of the phone?
Thanks![/QUOTE

Ha, I just broke mine and had the same problem...I had ADB Debugging checked which allowed me to plug my device in and use a windows program called "MyPhoneExplorer" to bring up the OG screen on my desktop "remote control essentially" and navigate thru my phone like it was in my hand via mouse. Anyway, since you don't have debugging on you might be SOL. There may be other programs that are similar that will work without " Debugging " on. The only other thing that is relatively inexpensive you can do is just buy a new screen or an old OG someone is selling that has a good screen and LCD... I bought one, in good working condition and with a good ESN for $72 a couple days ago....Just swapped out the guts....and Whalla

Coldfirex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thanks for the last resort. I dont think I am that brave though.

mcog
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I had the same issue without insurance and had to replace screen digitizer. It's not that hard off you can follow instructions and have a hair dryer.lol

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app