Camera [Q] Looking for better camera quality on a phone

Here's the deal. In the past few months, I've owned almost every high end phone (iPhone 5, 5S, Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2, Nexus 4, HTC One, Motorola Droid Razr MAXX HD, Moto X, etc.). Overall, (NOT in terms of megapixels, specs, or on-paper features, but in everyday use) the iPhones have the best, fastest, most consistent cameras for taking quick good pictures (again, just my opinion and experience). All the Android phones I've had, I tried the stock camera apps as well as ones on custom ROMs I installed and apps like Focal, and none could match the iPhone for pure reliability and consistency. For example, the Samsung phones take fantastic, high quality pictures—in some situations. And sometimes they'll take 5+ seconds after I press the shutter button to refocus and actually capture anything. I have other gripes with the other phones, including the iPhone, but won't list them here unless someone asks to know.

Interestingly enough, the best pictures I have from a phone came from an old Motorla Droid Razr Maxx running Cyanogenmod 10.1, on pretty much stock Jellybean 4.2.2, from the stock google camera app. It definitely did not do as good a job of automatically adjusting exposure, but when I focused a good shot, it almost always came out great, exactly as I'd seen it on the screen, very sharp and detailed with good and realistic colors. Since then, somehow no other phone has consistently taken such good photos. Running the exact same ROM on a Galaxy S3, the pictures almost always came out pretty blurry, regardless of how still I held the phone.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has some idea of why this is, and if I could do anything (other than getting an iPhone of course) to again be able to rely on a smartphone camera to at least get pretty fast, good pictures? Thanks!