5,597,313 Members 35,399 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] My phone won't boot all the way...

Tip us?

Fearborn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] My phone won't boot all the way...

So, at the risk of posting too much info (instead of not enough) I'm going to start at the beginning:

I rooted my wife's S3 and loaded TWRP and Paranoid Android. It ran fine, but there was a camera issue, so she wanted me to restore it to the stock ROM. I did this (to 4.1, I believe, whatever was out in August). Again, it ran fine and I was planning to restore the root access, but did not.

Later, it was dropped in Hibachi sauce (not sure this is relevant, but in case) and we put it immediately in rice. It worked fine, other than the touch screen intermittently ceasing to receive touch commands.

When the updated ROM came from Samsung, my wife installed the update and the phone continued to work fine, other than the screen issue.

She was tired of the issue and decided to sell it to buy an iPhone (shudder) so she did a factory reset. This is where the issues began (I included the previous steps as I'm not sure which may have caused the current issue).

Upon the factory reset, the phone would only boot to the beginning of the AT&T logo loading. I thought it may be something she could fix through Kies and suggested she try that, so she did. The phone would then boot to a screen in Odin mode that says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again." We did this and there was no help.

I can get it to boot into recovery (the default one now) and have tried to reflash that and the stock ROM that I did previously and only can get two actions: either the freeze at the AT&T logo (if I use Odin to flash the ROM) or the above message in Odin mode (after trying to fix from Kies).

I'm not sure what to do at this point and would appreciate any and all help you guys can provide. I've lurked around and learned quite a bit to flash my ROM and my wife's from you guys, so I'm really hoping I can learn more from this.

Thanks in advance!

UnknownTroll1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearborn View Post
So, at the risk of posting too much info (instead of not enough) I'm going to start at the beginning:

I rooted my wife's S3 and loaded TWRP and Paranoid Android. It ran fine, but there was a camera issue, so she wanted me to restore it to the stock ROM. I did this (to 4.1, I believe, whatever was out in August). Again, it ran fine and I was planning to restore the root access, but did not.

Later, it was dropped in Hibachi sauce (not sure this is relevant, but in case) and we put it immediately in rice. It worked fine, other than the touch screen intermittently ceasing to receive touch commands.

When the updated ROM came from Samsung, my wife installed the update and the phone continued to work fine, other than the screen issue.

She was tired of the issue and decided to sell it to buy an iPhone (shudder) so she did a factory reset. This is where the issues began (I included the previous steps as I'm not sure which may have caused the current issue).

Upon the factory reset, the phone would only boot to the beginning of the AT&T logo loading. I thought it may be something she could fix through Kies and suggested she try that, so she did. The phone would then boot to a screen in Odin mode that says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again." We did this and there was no help.

I can get it to boot into recovery (the default one now) and have tried to reflash that and the stock ROM that I did previously and only can get two actions: either the freeze at the AT&T logo (if I use Odin to flash the ROM) or the above message in Odin mode (after trying to fix from Kies).

I'm not sure what to do at this point and would appreciate any and all help you guys can provide. I've lurked around and learned quite a bit to flash my ROM and my wife's from you guys, so I'm really hoping I can learn more from this.

Thanks in advance!
So is it stuck on the AT&T Logo? Or Samsung Logo?
Device: AT&T S3
ROM: Quantum ROM w/ Quantum Kernel
Hit the button if I helped you out!

Fearborn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownTroll1 View Post
So is it stuck on the AT&T Logo? Or Samsung Logo?
It was the AT&T logo, it's currently the Odin. If I flash it again with the stock ROM, it'll be the AT&T logo again, but it doesn't completely load the AT&T logo. The Samsung one loads and then the AT&T starts to load, but doesn't finish playing.

Fearborn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Anyone?

jblparisi
Old
Thanks Meter 481
Yes, Odin to stock unrooted, then go ahead and factory reset by holding volume up + home button on first boot. Done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to jblparisi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fearborn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblparisi View Post
Yes, Odin to stock unrooted, then go ahead and factory reset by holding volume up + home button on first boot. Done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
If this works (I'll try it when I get home) I will be so grateful! BTW, do you happen to have a decent link to a stock ROM? If not, I'll Google it tonight.