XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Automatic Software Update

Tip us?

trial_user
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Automatic Software Update

Here is my situation: I used Odin v3.7 and root66_RWC_I747MVLDMF1.tar.md5 to root my i747m to rooted JB 4.1.2. The root was successful but stupid me I forgot to uncheck automatic software update on my phone. Come morning I discovered that the automatic software update downloaded the latest version of JB, I'm assuming 4.3 or higher which everyone here knows it is half-baked. I turn on my phone and I get a message saying that the latest software has been downloaded and it's now asking to install it. How do remove the downloaded software update? Where is this file sitting on my phone? Do I need to re-root my S3 to get rid of the software update? Do I need to unroot my S3 and then root it again? What options do I have? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

mpj123
Old
(Last edited by mpj123; 10th December 2013 at 06:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by trial_user View Post
Here is my situation: I used Odin v3.7 and root66_RWC_I747MVLDMF1.tar.md5 to root my i747m to rooted JB 4.1.2. The root was successful but stupid me I forgot to uncheck automatic software update on my phone. Come morning I discovered that the automatic software update downloaded the latest version of JB, I'm assuming 4.3 or higher which everyone here knows it is half-baked. I turn on my phone and I get a message saying that the latest software has been downloaded and it's now asking to install it. How do remove the downloaded software update? Where is this file sitting on my phone? Do I need to re-root my S3 to get rid of the software update? Do I need to unroot my S3 and then root it again? What options do I have? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
This is kinda a shot in the dark, but maybe go to recovery mode and clear cache? I would assume that's where the file went? Or... get a file explorer and find the file and delete it, or enable debug mode and find the file in /cache and delete it.

After a bit of research, that is where it went. You can also do like this thread mentions and freeze the update service using titanium backup com.motorola.blur.updater

source: android.stackexchange(dot)com/questions/32205/where-can-i-find-the-ota-update-file

offtopic: I downloaded beanstock(4.4) and found a way to enable tethering, apart from that, everything seems smooth and working... If you really dont like 4.3 :P

trial_user
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpj123 View Post
This is kinda a shot in the dark, but maybe go to recovery mode and clear cache? I would assume that's where the file went? Or... get a file explorer and find the file and delete it, or enable debug mode and find the file in /cache and delete it.

After a bit of research, that is where it went. You can also do like this thread mentions and freeze the update service using titanium backup com.motorola.blur.updater

source: android.stackexchange(dot)com/questions/32205/where-can-i-find-the-ota-update-file

offtopic: I downloaded beanstock(4.4) and found a way to enable tethering, apart from that, everything seems smooth and working... If you really dont like 4.3 :P
Thanks for the tip. I found the update file which was called, "update.zip" in the /cache/fota directory using the Root Browser app.