5,604,122 Members 48,188 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooted MJ7, what now?

Tip us?
 
ProtossPaul
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default [Q] Rooted MJ7, what now?

Hey guys, completely new here. I have had my S4 for awhile now and decided to finally root my device. I came across the vroot method and rooted my MJ7 s4. I now (stupidly) realize that not only is there little support for MJ7, but also that vroot has not been confirmed safe as it is a Chinese root method. My phone appears to work perfectly and I can confirm that it is rooted under MJ7 with no issues so far, but my question is: is there any way to err...uproot it and go back to stock until a safe method is confirmed? Or should I just wait until an Odin file is released? Like I said the phone works perfectly, I am just cautious and don't know what the next step is. Thanks!
 
Mistertac
Old
(Last edited by Mistertac; 9th December 2013 at 10:28 AM.)
#2  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 665
Posts: 1,810
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma
No
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtossPaul View Post
Hey guys, completely new here. I have had my S4 for awhile now and decided to finally root my device. I came across the vroot method and rooted my MJ7 s4. I now (stupidly) realize that not only is there little support for MJ7, but also that vroot has not been confirmed safe as it is a Chinese root method. My phone appears to work perfectly and I can confirm that it is rooted under MJ7 with no issues so far, but my question is: is there any way to err...uproot it and go back to stock until a safe method is confirmed? Or should I just wait until an Odin file is released? Like I said the phone works perfectly, I am just cautious and don't know what the next step is. Thanks!
Well you're on mj7 like I am and that means we sit and wait for someone to find us a way to either run Safestrap or a bootloader unlock for custom recovery.
There already are Odin files in here and someone made a script to remove the Chinese superuser you're talking about and replace it with chainfires supersu.
Search around on here a little bit Youll find all that.

Verizon Galaxy S4
# MJ7 #
ALL Knoxed Up!

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 AM ----------

Here's a video on the entire vroot method plus supersu
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=

And here's a link to an Odin file, although I don't think you really need it. Plus it's a full Wipe
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2507253

Verizon Galaxy S4
# MJ7 #
ALL Knoxed Up!
 
ProtossPaul
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
No

Well you're on mj7 like I am and that means we sit and wait for someone to find us a way to either run Safestrap or a bootloader unlock for custom recovery.
There already are Odin files in here and someone made a script to remove the Chinese superuser you're talking about and replace it with chainfires supersu.
Search around on here a little bit Youll find all that.

Verizon Galaxy S4
# MJ7 #
ALL Knoxed Up!

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 AM ----------

Here's a video on the entire vroot method plus supersu
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=

And here's a link to an Odin file, although I don't think you really need it. Plus it's a full Wipe
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2507253

Verizon Galaxy S4
# MJ7 #
ALL Knoxed Up!
Okay great, I assume I used the same method as you did, I also have supersu so I suppose that means the Chinese garbage is gone. There really can't be any harm in leaving it in the current rooted MJ7 state right? I mean support will be released eventually. Waiting for safestrap seems like the best option just as far as safety is concerned. I have zero experience with rooting or flashing so I will wait for support to do a Titanium backup or something.
 
Mistertac
Old
#4  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 665
Posts: 1,810
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtossPaul View Post
Okay great, I assume I used the same method as you did, I also have supersu so I suppose that means the Chinese garbage is gone. There really can't be any harm in leaving it in the current rooted MJ7 state right? I mean support will be released eventually. Waiting for safestrap seems like the best option just as far as safety is concerned. I have zero experience with rooting or flashing so I will wait for support to do a Titanium backup or something.
No that's our only option as of now. I'd go into titanium and freeze sdm and fwupgrade so that in the event there is another OTA you can wait to see if there is a method to retain root through it. Always look on here first before taking any OTA.!!!
I'm on mj7 rooted and I'm running xposed framework to customize my s4 quite a bit... And then I just remove /freeze everything I don't want using Titanium. And I'm happy with my phone.
The devs are working on both Safestrap and unlocking the bootloader. It's a lot of work but those guys are on here working diligently.


Verizon Galaxy S4
# MJ7 #
ALL Knoxed Up!

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

Also here's a thread listing some of the things people have been freezing using Titanium.
Maybe itll help.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2314265

Verizon Galaxy S4
# MJ7 #
ALL Knoxed Up!
 
ProtossPaul
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
No that's our only option as of now. I'd go into titanium and freeze sdm and fwupgrade so that in the event there is another OTA you can wait to see if there is a method to retain root through it. Always look on here first before taking any OTA.!!!
I'm on mj7 rooted and I'm running xposed framework to customize my s4 quite a bit... And then I just remove /freeze everything I don't want using Titanium. And I'm happy with my phone.
The devs are working on both Safestrap and unlocking the bootloader. It's a lot of work but those guys are on here working diligently.


Verizon Galaxy S4
# MJ7 #
ALL Knoxed Up!

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

Also here's a thread listing some of the things people have been freezing using Titanium.
Maybe itll help.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2314265

Verizon Galaxy S4
# MJ7 #
ALL Knoxed Up!
I really should have done more research before doing this, but can you explain to me the reason to use safestrap when you have flashed a recovery on Titanium backup? I thought that if you screwed anything up you could just revert to your last flash on Titanium. Also unlocking the bootloader is going to allow us to use custom ROMS right? Sorry, really trying to get up to speed, it's a difficult time to get into this with MJ7. I really just want to go about this in the safest way possible.
 
Mistertac
Old
#6  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 665
Posts: 1,810
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtossPaul View Post
I really should have done more research before doing this, but can you explain to me the reason to use safestrap when you have flashed a recovery on Titanium backup? I thought that if you screwed anything up you could just revert to your last flash on Titanium. Also unlocking the bootloader is going to allow us to use custom ROMS right? Sorry, really trying to get up to speed, it's a difficult time to get into this with MJ7. I really just want to go about this in the safest way possible.
Well.. Couple things..
First off since we have an mj7 Verizon S4 there is no flashing anything at all. No roms at all. Titanium backup is a tool that can save all your system and user data/apps. As well as uninstall and freeze things.
Safestrap if it ever gets to us just allows the flashing of roms on a '' safe'' location on our phones. It doesn't touch our actual mj7 Samsung Touchwiz.
No custom recovery like Clockwork Mod for us because the bootloader is locked up!
There are many people on here working on both of these issues with the bootloader itself and going the Safestrap route as well.
For now grab titanium and freeze those two things I mentioned earlier so that your phone recieves no further updates. You don't want an update until you know there is a safe way to root, or keep root, if that's important to ya.
Other than that you can use xposed framework and modules to hook up you're phone.


Verizon Galaxy S4
# MJ7 #
ALL Knoxed Up!
 
ProtossPaul
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
Well.. Couple things..
First off since we have an mj7 Verizon S4 there is no flashing anything at all. No roms at all. Titanium backup is a tool that can save all your system and user data/apps. As well as uninstall and freeze things.
Safestrap if it ever gets to us just allows the flashing of roms on a '' safe'' location on our phones. It doesn't touch our actual mj7 Samsung Touchwiz.
No custom recovery like Clockwork Mod for us because the bootloader is locked up!
There are many people on here working on both of these issues with the bootloader itself and going the Safestrap route as well.
For now grab titanium and freeze those two things I mentioned earlier so that your phone recieves no further updates. You don't want an update until you know there is a safe way to root, or keep root, if that's important to ya.
Other than that you can use xposed framework and modules to hook up you're phone.


Verizon Galaxy S4
# MJ7 #
ALL Knoxed Up!
First of all, I want to say thanks so much for helping me. I know it wasn't addressed in the title of my thread but I really do appreciate it. I have noticed that people seem skeptical about doing anything on the rooted MJ7 framework so I just thought I should ask of its safe to do Titanium without bricking my phone? Not only have I never done it before but I am cautious if it is safe because I haven't backed anything up yet. Didn't want to use an old method now that we are on MJ7). Can I use the current version of titanium with MJ7 safely? Also what can I do with the Xposed framework? I thought that was used to load custom ROMS?

Thank you SO much.
 
sharkie405
Old
#8  
sharkie405's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 422
Posts: 1,173
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Waynesville, NC

 
DONATE TO ME
Alright, so I have some questions that can probably be chalked up in the 'Rooted MJ7, what now?' category. I can't specifically find these answers, but I've read a ton of what basically boils down to, you can't do sh*t with mj7.

So I realize there's no flashing ROMs on mj7, which sucks a big one, but that's fine, I'll deal.

I've rooted the phone via vroot and all is good there. Triangle away doesn't seem to work, but whatever. It's highly unlikely that I'll need to take the phone into the store.

My biggest gripe is that I can't seem to get adb to work to push files to the phone. I keep getting 'permission denied' errors when I get to the 'adb push ..............' part. Near as I can tell from my reading, this is because the bootloader is locked. Is that right? I tried adding 'ro.secure=1' to 0 in default.prop, but that didn't work. I was trying to push a modded services.odex to /system/framework. Does anyone know how to get adb fully working on a rooted mj7? If you check my sig., you'll see that I'm not a total noob persay. I've been using adb for years. I have all the right files installed on my PC and what not.
-Primary Device:
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545)
[ROM: Stock VRUEMJ7 - Rooted and Safestrap'ed]

-Previous Devices:
HTC EVO 4G LTE (Jewel)
[ROM: SharkieROM-LTE v3.17.1 - (Sense 4+/JB 4.1.1)]

HTC EVO 4G (Supersonic)
[ROM: SharkieROM (Sense 2.1 + 3.0/Android 2.3.5)]

HTC Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium)
[ROM: SharkieROM v5.1 (Sense 2.5.2021/WM Build 29020)]
The Following User Says Thank You to sharkie405 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Mistertac
Old
(Last edited by Mistertac; 10th December 2013 at 12:25 PM.)
#9  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 665
Posts: 1,810
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtossPaul View Post
First of all, I want to say thanks so much for helping me. I know it wasn't addressed in the title of my thread but I really do appreciate it. I have noticed that people seem skeptical about doing anything on the rooted MJ7 framework so I just thought I should ask of its safe to do Titanium without bricking my phone? Not only have I never done it before but I am cautious if it is safe because I haven't backed anything up yet. Didn't want to use an old method now that we are on MJ7). Can I use the current version of titanium with MJ7 safely? Also what can I do with the Xposed framework? I thought that was used to load custom ROMS?

Thank you SO much.

Titanium is not used to load roms. It's used for backing things up primarily and that's it. It can also uninstall /freeze things, but that's all.
There's not really much we can do now except use xposed framework/mods to customize our phones. It is very safe and everything is located right here on xda.
For now take a look at this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2383484
Read from beginning and install the framework first, then Wanam.
It explains everything.

Verizon Galaxy S4
# MJ7 #
ALL Knoxed Up!

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie405 View Post
Alright, so I have some questions that can probably be chalked up in the 'Rooted MJ7, what now?' category. I can't specifically find these answers, but I've read a ton of what basically boils down to, you can't do sh*t with mj7.

So I realize there's no flashing ROMs on mj7, which sucks a big one, but that's fine, I'll deal.

I've rooted the phone via vroot and all is good there. Triangle away doesn't seem to work, but whatever. It's highly unlikely that I'll need to take the phone into the store.

My biggest gripe is that I can't seem to get adb to work to push files to the phone. I keep getting 'permission denied' errors when I get to the 'adb push ..............' part. Near as I can tell from my reading, this is because the bootloader is locked. Is that right? I tried adding 'ro.secure=1' to 0 in default.prop, but that didn't work. I was trying to push a modded services.odex to /system/framework. Does anyone know how to get adb fully working on a rooted mj7? If you check my sig., you'll see that I'm not a total noob persay. I've been using adb for years. I have all the right files installed on my PC and what not.
No there's no custom recovery or even Safestrap, which means no roms yet unfortunately.
There's no triangle away either but I've seen some folks working on something like Knox Away which is the same kind of thing since we're all stuck with Knox now!

As far as your ADB questions I'm not your guy for that. I'd say though that maybe it's got to do with the new security we have on these things now for sure.
I'm sure someone way more qualified than me can lead you in the right direction.

Verizon Galaxy S4
# MJ7 #
ALL Knoxed Up!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
sharkie405
Old
#10  
sharkie405's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 422
Posts: 1,173
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Waynesville, NC

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
...but I've seen some folks working on something like Knox Away which is the same kind of thing since we're all stuck with Knox now!
I've deleted all the Knox files I could find (about 12 or so) using FX Explorer along with some other security stuff that I found. I guess that's not enough to fully get rid of Knox since I still have that 'custom' screen at boot...

Man, I really wish I would have done more reading before deciding to go with a Samsung. Oh well, despite all this, it's still a great phone.

Thanks for your reply.
-Primary Device:
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545)
[ROM: Stock VRUEMJ7 - Rooted and Safestrap'ed]

-Previous Devices:
HTC EVO 4G LTE (Jewel)
[ROM: SharkieROM-LTE v3.17.1 - (Sense 4+/JB 4.1.1)]

HTC EVO 4G (Supersonic)
[ROM: SharkieROM (Sense 2.1 + 3.0/Android 2.3.5)]

HTC Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium)
[ROM: SharkieROM v5.1 (Sense 2.5.2021/WM Build 29020)]

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes