Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,629 Members 41,250 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bricked AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4

Tip us?

jonathanml86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Bricked AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4

Hello all, if anyone could please help me, I would be extremely grateful.

I updated my Cyanogenmod nightly to the release for December 8th, 2013. The download seemed to be fine, it rebooted into the twrp, and then it rebooted, but then my phone never loaded back up. I tried restarting my phone with the power button, and eventually resulted to the battery pull, but yet my phone still wouldn't load.

I then tried going into the twrp again, and tried to flash a nightly upload that I had used from December 4th, it seemed to of loaded, but again my phone never loaded up.

I tired all day to use Odin to flash the ATT stock firmware, but I kept getting an ODIN FAILED error. I tried several different firmware downloads for ATT, and again, still no luck.

I am really upset over this, and would love to know why the update didn't work, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, how do I fix my device???

Atrix2destroyer
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Default Samsung experience shop

Go to a Best buy with a local Samsung Experience center. They can flash the Latest 4.3 software on it from your carrier as long as it turns on and gets to download mode. I did the same thing to mine a month or so back and it saved my phone haha. Its a cool tool they have that i wish i could some how pirate haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanml86 View Post
Hello all, if anyone could please help me, I would be extremely grateful.

I updated my Cyanogenmod nightly to the release for December 8th, 2013. The download seemed to be fine, it rebooted into the twrp, and then it rebooted, but then my phone never loaded back up. I tried restarting my phone with the power button, and eventually resulted to the battery pull, but yet my phone still wouldn't load.

I then tried going into the twrp again, and tried to flash a nightly upload that I had used from December 4th, it seemed to of loaded, but again my phone never loaded up.

I tired all day to use Odin to flash the ATT stock firmware, but I kept getting an ODIN FAILED error. I tried several different firmware downloads for ATT, and again, still no luck.

I am really upset over this, and would love to know why the update didn't work, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, how do I fix my device???
AT&T Galaxy S4 Stock/Rooted 4.3 Unlocked to Tmobile

HiTideBlastoise
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I'd still try Odin. If you go to best buy, once you get 4.3 no custom recovery or cyanogen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

jonathanml86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTideBlastoise View Post
I'd still try Odin. If you go to best buy, once you get 4.3 no custom recovery or cyanogen

I was actually able to unbrick my phone using the Kies app for Mac. I don't know why I didn't try this earlier. I suppose I was trying to hold onto my root, and ability to flash custom roms onto my phone. Less than 24 hours of stock firmware, and I'm already annoyed. I also ran an update from At&T, and now I'm on 4.3. I'm still a n00b when it comes to the rooting and flashing. Yes, I can manage to follow and read directions to get my phone loaded with custom roms. But here's where I'm at now....

I'm running an unrooted AT&T Galaxy S4 with 4.3. I want Cyanogenmod back, and I want it now!!!

What do I do next????
The Following User Says Thank You to jonathanml86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hnldriver77
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanml86 View Post
I'm running an unrooted AT&T Galaxy S4 with 4.3. I want Cyanogenmod back, and I want it now!!!

What do I do next????

PRAY?

jonathanml86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnldriver77 View Post
PRAY?
ok, but seriously. what can i do? and how do i do it?

hnldriver77
Old
(Last edited by hnldriver77; 11th December 2013 at 04:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
you can root it, but that will trip the knox counter to 0x1,

id suggest going into download mode to see if you've tripped the knox counter to 0x1, if not and you want no warranty go to the original dev thread and look for ways on rooting there

if your wanting warrenty, your pretty much hooped then bud...

jonathanml86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default sopra rsorsifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnldriver77 View Post
you can root it, but that will trip the knox counter to 0x1, but if thats not a issue then look in the original development thread...

What is the overall summary and importance of this knox counter?

HiTideBlastoise
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Unfortunately at this point, you have root through vroot or kingo and that is all I can say. You cannot install a custom recovery, so no cyanogen