5,594,438 Members 34,123 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][ROOT][CWM] ARCHOS 97b Platinum HD

Tip us?

Newbleeto
Old
(Last edited by Newbleeto; 28th December 2013 at 06:47 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100
Tutorial [GUIDE][ROOT][CWM] ARCHOS 97b Platinum HD

I came upon this device on Christmas (a gift from my girlfriend to her father) and wanted to root it and also install clockworkmod recovery, so I could mess with it a bit without bricking it. Since I found a lack of tailored guides for it, I decided to write this one, although I really did no actual development whatsoever. Normally I would be posting this on general, but given the spirit of this forum, I guess I'll just leave it here. Also, keep in mind I don't have the device anymore and am writing this from memory. If I missed anything or you have any doubts, please let me know (for example, I can't recall specifically the drivers I installed to make it work properly).
Please, please read the whole guide before trying anything, and if you are a novice user, just leave this be, I don't want you to turn your tablet into a paperweight because of my shoddy instructions written from memory and you probably don't need any of this anyway as there are no custom roms yet.

!!!DISCLAIMER!!!: As stated above, anything you do is at your own risk. I provided the procedures that worked for me on a Qilive 97r tablet, which is an Auchan branded ARCHOS 97b Platinum HD, so my step by step should work for all of you. There are probably easier ways to do this, and I hint at them in the guide, but beware I have not tried them and cannot vouch for them. In fact, I cannot and will not take any responsability if you brick your device following these instructions, correctly or otherwise. You do this at YOUR OWN RISK. You have been warned!

Rooting:

I followed this guide on Windows 7 x64 and it worked perfectly.
So thanks to dhigby for that. I would just like to make a couple of remarks:
When you get to step 7 (Installing Superuser by ChainDD), don't. Install SuperSU by Chainfire instead, Use it to update the superuser binary (I think a prompt shows up) and when asked, let it delete the "other" superuser applications, that is, the chinese one. Clean and easy, you don't need to follow any more steps.
Congratulations, you now have (english language) root!

Clockworkmod Recovery:

There is no specific recovery for this device. Fortunately, thanks to AndroTab.info, there's a generic version for 3188 devices that you'll see should work quite nicely, albeight with some caveats.

What works:
  • Nandroid backup to/from external SDCard (won't recognize internal)
  • Installing zip files should also work, although I didn't try it at the time, as the device wasn't mine and I can't since I don't have it anymore, but since it mounts system partitions perfectly well I wouldn't think there would be a problem. Try it at your own risk though.
  • Other things probably work, give it a try.
What doesn't work:
  • Internal SDCard access
  • Probably other things

Installation:
Now that you have a rooted tablet, installing clockworkmod recovery is easy-peasy. Go to developer options and enable USB Debugging, then make sure you have a working adb daemon (look it up) that recognizes your tablet.

NOTE: I'm not sure if I had to install any specific drivers for this to work, I think if so they were installed while rooting by the chinese app. Anyhow, here's the Rockchip drivers, you might want to try to install them if you can't get a connection: http://www.rockchip.nl/downloads/

Download the file RK30GENERIC_CWM.zip from here - that's the recovery.
Now extract flash_image and recovery.img from the downloaded file above to the folder where you have your adb and follow the following commands.

Push the files to /dev partition on the device:
Code:
adb push flash_image /dev/
adb push recovery.img /dev/
Then enter root shell, like so:
Code:
adb shell
su
Now flash recovery.img into recovery partition with flash_image:
Code:
chmod 755 /dev/flash_image
/dev/flash_image recovery /dev/recovery.img
Now power off your device. To enter recovery press volume down then the power button and keep them pressed until CWM boots. Voilá!

NOTE: The instructions above were adapted from here and all credit goes to AndroTab.info ; I posted these particular instructions because they are the ones I used and worked for me; there are other methods listed on that page which might or might not work, TRY THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Backing up your original recovery (for warranty, if anything goes wrong, etc.)
To obtain a backup image of your recovery \ restore it back afterwards, follow this guide here. All credit goes to Originalas.

Don't follow it to the letter though: first and foremost, you need a working linux installation. If you don't have one, I recommend Wubi.

Then:
  • Follow step 1;
  • Ignore step 2 (it's outdated);
  • Follow 3;
  • Follow 4 - but don't expect the screen to turn on, it won't, just hold the volume down button for 10 seconds or so after plugging it in, don't press the power button!
  • Ignore 5, 6 and 7
  • Follow 8, but don't use the last command to flash the CWM recovery onto the device. This is because since it is a generic version, it relies on the original recovery kernel. Flashing the image like stated in step 8 would probably overwrite the kernel and result in no recovery at all (I might be wrong about this).

Do follow the last command to restore your own backup if you ever need to.
I am unsure if recovery dumps obtained in this way are device specific; I don't see a reason why they should be, so I'll provide you with my own backup:

ORIGINAL RECOVERY

Flash through any method of your choice, but keep in mind I haven't tried this on other devices, so, as you know by now DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Closing remarks:

There you have it. Sorry for not holding your hand through every step, but this is meant for people who know a bit of what they're doing, making it faster than having to look up and figure out all these things and quirks on their own. If you have any doubts don't hesitate to ask, but keep in mind I don't have the device anymore and don't know much more than what I have written here. I do appreciate feedback and corrections, and will gladly change the guide giving you full credit - if it's really urgent just PM me, I might not check this thread often.

Cheers!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbleeto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jammed_Death
Old
Thanks Meter 3
thanks, works like a charm...do you have any news about updates\custom roms? I can't find anything even in the archos main site

Newbleeto
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammed_Death View Post
thanks, works like a charm...do you have any news about updates\custom roms? I can't find anything even in the archos main site
I wouldn't keep my hopes up on custom roms. The software is really bad and what it does with the hardware is terrible. It's like a bunch of chipmunks put the code together by randomly typing into a keyboard.
That said, the likelihood of a new kernel to fix that is next to nil. However, since the ROM is as far as I can tell pretty near stock, you can get a pretty good experience from the device by installing gravity box xposed module. I also recommend trickstermod and changing the governor to performance, as well as some kernel tweaking if you know what you are doing.
Also, very important, limit the amount of processes running in the background to 3 in dev settings or change the used memory limit to something like 1.2 gb. It has 2 gb of RAM, but, as I said, the ROM sucks, the system eats away a full gigabyte, and it doesn't effectively kill background apps, leaving you with a sluggish device if you multitask.
Anyway, those are just some ideas, if you have some more or would like to code for this device, feel free to share Also, as I always say, give it time. You never know who is gonna get they're hands on the device and do something amazing with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbleeto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jammed_Death
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbleeto View Post
I wouldn't keep my hopes up on custom roms. The software is really bad and what it does with the hardware is terrible. It's like a bunch of chipmunks put the code together by randomly typing into a keyboard.
That said, the likelihood of a new kernel to fix that is next to nil. However, since the ROM is as far as I can tell pretty near stock, you can get a pretty good experience from the device by installing gravity box xposed module. I also recommend trickstermod and changing the governor to performance, as well as some kernel tweaking if you know what you are doing.
Also, very important, limit the amount of processes running in the background to 3 in dev settings or change the used memory limit to something like 1.2 gb. It has 2 gb of RAM, but, as I said, the ROM sucks, the system eats away a full gigabyte, and it doesn't effectively kill background apps, leaving you with a sluggish device if you multitask.
Anyway, those are just some ideas, if you have some more or would like to code for this device, feel free to share Also, as I always say, give it time. You never know who is gonna get they're hands on the device and do something amazing with it.
hi and thanx for the answer

yes i saw that it's almost stock but crappy optimized...in the very first start of the tablet i had 1.8gb occupied by nothing and clean master always notifies me that 90% of the ram is busy...meh

maybe just a kernel will fix like you say but you know, android 4.4 will be a must (rockchip already released sdk for 3188). I am not a coder (totally zero) but i will try your suggestion...just a question about the performance governor, does it drain more battery?

Jammed_Death
Old
(Last edited by Jammed_Death; 6th January 2014 at 10:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
i am trying to backup my rom but cwm is so buggy...first was impossible, now i'm stuck on backing up boot image

there is a twrp available for this tablet?

solved
Tags
archos 97b platinum hd, clockworkmod, qilive 97r, recovery, root