Impromark
Old
(Last edited by Impromark; 9th January 2014 at 03:11 PM.) Reason: Fixed links
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Thumbs up REVIEW: LG G Pad 8.3 Generic TPU "X-Style" Case

Hi everyone, I've FINALLY received this case from AliExpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-...532446130.html

As promised, here's a YouTube Video Review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV0AN_YhXpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV0AN_YhXpw">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV0AN_YhXpw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

TL;DR verdict: It's cheap, it's black, and overall it works well. Fit is solid, all ports work out (except the SD card slot, which is covered - but that's hardly a dealbreaker), and it doesn't add any significant weight. Does not interfere with the speakers.

Would buy, but not from AliExpress. No fault to the vendor (who was pleasantly responsive to my inquiries), but on eBay you can now pick it up for $6 CDN shipped.

Thanks for reading and watching!

Mark
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Impromark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Canadoc
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impromark View Post
Hi everyone, I've FINALLY received this case from AliExpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-...532446130.html

As promised, here's a YouTube Video Review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV0AN_YhXpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV0AN_YhXpw">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV0AN_YhXpw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

TL;DR verdict: It's cheap, it's black, and overall it works well. Fit is solid, all ports work out (except the SD card slot, which is covered - but that's hardly a dealbreaker), and it doesn't add any significant weight. Does not interfere with the speakers.

Would buy, but not from AliExpress. No fault to the vendor (who was pleasantly responsive to my inquiries), but on eBay you can now pick it up for $6 CDN shipped.

Thanks for reading and watching!

Mark

Fellow Canuck here who bought the tablet in the USA at bestbuy. Where did you get yours?
Have you tried to use the remote? Seems only US cable providers are listed. Same for you?

Impromark
Old
(Last edited by Impromark; 9th January 2014 at 08:13 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadoc View Post
Fellow Canuck here who bought the tablet in the USA at bestbuy. Where did you get yours?
Have you tried to use the remote? Seems only US cable providers are listed. Same for you?
Mine was also sourced from the States as Newegg in Canada didn't have it at the time, Best Buy here STILL doesn't, and $259 USD on sale was worth the trouble of getting it brought up here by a family member.

The Quick Remote app DOES work on my Telus cable setup. I used the AT&T option and it works just fine. I don't know if Rogers, etc. would work, but one of the options just might be an equivalent. Good luck!

Mark

Canadoc
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impromark View Post
Mine was also sourced from the States as Newegg in Canada didn't have it at the time, Best Buy here STILL doesn't, and $259 USD on sale was worth the trouble of getting it brought up here by a family member.

The Quick Remote app DOES work on my Telus cable setup. I used the AT&T option and it works just fine. I don't know if Rogers, etc. would work, but one of the options just might be an equivalent. Good luck!

Mark
Am on videotron they use a cisco or samsung cable box.

Impromark
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Am on videotron they use a cisco or samsung cable box.
Ah, so you're out East.. I don't think Vidéotron equipment is any different than those used in the States, nor would it be unique to Quebec or wherever you are. I suggest just going through the available selections and see if one works for you. That's what I did.

Mark

Canadoc
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Will do. You ate on cable or satellite? What is the make If the cable box

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Impromark
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Will do. You ate on cable or satellite? What is the make If the cable box

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Telus digital cable. I'll check the make of the box, but honestly the best thing is to cycle through the available options in the Q Remote. I found AT&T compatibility within two minutes, though to be fair I went alphabetically. :P

Mark

Canadoc
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Did that and found 2cable companies that worked. Weird that thistablet still has not been released in canada where lg traditionally sells well.I imagine there will need to be a Canadian version of the lg software to include Canadian cable companies. Right now there are 3versions of the firmware. A,C,E. Am guessing it's American Europe and China.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

By the way how it's your battery life.that and the little blue line are my only issues and they are not enough for me to consider returning this tablet. Had a nexus 7 2013 model beforewhich had brighter screen but I lost it forgetting it on the airplane. Having a note 3I felt the nexus 7was too similar in size. This is the perfect size for a tablet. Wish there were more accessories. Bought the ivso case and will use that when I need to but prefer it caselessSri if they ever had a case cover like the iPad mini would love that

Impromark
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
By the way how it's your battery life.that and the little blue line are my only issues and they are not enough for me to consider returning this tablet. Had a nexus 7 2013 model beforewhich had brighter screen but I lost it forgetting it on the airplane. Having a note 3I felt the nexus 7was too similar in size. This is the perfect size for a tablet. Wish there were more accessories. Bought the ivso case and will use that when I need to but prefer it caselessSri if they ever had a case cover like the iPad mini would love that

Drifting from topic, but my battery life is about the same as most reviews. I haven't put it through any rigorous testing, but when watching movies or YouTube on the unit it holds up any two hours in a row that I'd need it, I have it plugged in while at my desk at work, and standby time is awesome. I noticed the blue line, but I had to look really, REALLY hard for it so in practice it's not an issue for me. No appreciable light bleed either. I use it indoors so brightness isn't a huge issue, but for the list price it should have been brighter.

This is a keeper for me - I'm keeping this case as well and may get the IVSO in Red when it becomes available on Amazon.ca in a couple months. I miss a cover for the actual screen on this thing, but as long as I'm not outside or traveling (I *do* travel for work, so we'll see in the long run) this will do just fine.

Mark

toyface
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Hey guys,

Nice review Mark! I was looking to get a silicon case quickly and this was the cheapest to do that so I got one from eBay, shipping from Germany to the UK and it's already been dispatched so should be here next week sort of time. I got it in red and will have some photos up when it arrives.

The VOIA case looks nice but, I will see how this one turns out before I get that guy, I have done the whole folding cover thing with the N7 and they never got used so I will stick with silicon this time around

Tom.

Tags
8.3 g-pad, case, lg g pad