5,598,086 Members 41,453 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Best way to navigate/play files shared on SMB drive, using stick PC connected TV?

Tip us?

colhavoc
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Best way to navigate/play files shared on SMB drive, using stick PC connected TV?

Hey,

I just got an MK808 TV Stick and I it's a pretty neat slick device. Like how small it is, and seems to be pretty fast (but, will probably flash some custom ROM on it soon).

Anyways, I want to use this as a replacement OS for my Smart TV and play Netflix/Hulu (have to root/market enabler to get this)/stream from my personal library, which is all shared on a raspberry pi PC via SMB. My Smart TV is DLNA compliant, but can't play all the different formats that I have accumulated over the years. My new stick TV PC, so far can handle it all.

Whats the best and easiest way to open files stored on SMB drives, and play them in a media play on my stick PC (right now, using VLC do to this). I say easy, in the sense that when my 6 year old kid wants to watch one of his movies he doesn't have to mount a drive via ES file explorer and choose what file from a list of directories like I am willing to do, but more of a "see the cover art, click and play" kind of way. I know XBMC would do most of this (if not all) but it only does software decoding, and I would like to have hardware.

Thanks in advance.
Phones:

Current:
Rogers (unlocked) Galaxy S3 SGH-i747m w/ Quantum 4

Formers:
Apple iPhone 5 64GB
Galaxy S4 SGH-1337m (Bell, Stock)
Galaxy S3 SGH-i747m (SOLD: Stock, unlocked)
Apple iPhone 4s
Apple iPhone 4
Galaxy S2 I9100M
Motorola Milestone
Apple iPhone 3GS
Galaxy S i9000m: CM 10.1 Rooted, Unlocked (purchased it on a whim, gave to a friend).

Tablet:
Apple iPad Air (current)
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (Sold)
Asus TF300T: PAC-man ROM PA3.15 (Sold: Returned to stock 10.6.1.8)
The Following User Says Thank You to colhavoc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

codlike
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ive got an ICUBE mk809II, i also have a NAS (nsa310) with my network share on. I use solid explorer and you can map to your network drive with that by adding an SMB share. Hopefully you have root. You can also then do a shortcut on the desktop by doing a solid explorer widget to that network share.

The second way i've used is to download a CIFS/SMB app, MountManager seemed the best, and you a can make a virtual link to your network share which is by default in your mnt folder. If you wanted to use your tv stick as a torrent box, you can map to the network share, and point Adownloader to the virtual link in the mount folder and it will get to your share. Its then easy to bookmark to your SMB/network share by doing a widget in Solid Explorer on your desktop. So with one click from the desktop, your there, I mainly use MX Player over VLC player as VLC was having audio sync problems.

zmaki
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by colhavoc View Post
but more of a "see the cover art, click and play" kind of way.
Try MIZUU BETA .

dnlgee
Old
Thanks Meter 82

DONATE TO ME
Tried MX Player?

colhavoc
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Re: [Q] Best way to navigate/play files shared on SMB drive, using stick PC connected

Did, played some of my content, but not all of it. VLC so far is working ok.

Anyone have any idea how to install Finless rom with this? Can't seem to find much information on how to flash it, just what its features are.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk HD
Phones:

Current:

Formers:
Apple iPhone 5 64GB
Apple iPhone 4s
Apple iPhone 4
Galaxy S2 I9100M
Motorola Milestone
Apple iPhone 3GS
Galaxy S i9000m: CM 10.1 Rooted, Unlocked (purchased it on a whim, gave to a friend).

Tablet:
Apple iPad Air (current)

colhavoc
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmaki View Post
Try MIZUU BETA .
Wow zmaki, that was the perfect choice! App works great for streaming from my SMB shares and shows the cotent like XBMC, except with decent rendering!

I have to admit though, I wish the program had its own built in media player with codec support, that would make it the cats ass.
Phones:

Current:

Formers:
Apple iPhone 5 64GB
Apple iPhone 4s
Apple iPhone 4
Galaxy S2 I9100M
Motorola Milestone
Apple iPhone 3GS

Tablet:
Apple iPad Air (current)

keithsipa
Old
(Last edited by keithsipa; 22nd March 2013 at 03:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
PLEX works awesome, no problems with any streaming and it looks great.

colhavoc, welcome from hfx...

dannygud
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,

The question here is the same issue I have wirh my new android miniPC to let my children (and even my self) an easy access to files stored on my PC.

My device is not rooted (not I'm goind to do so).

The device is conected over the same LAN (wi-fi is disabled).

I saw codlike two solutions ("solid explorer" or MountManager) but both need root, is there another solution?

Ather
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygud View Post
Hi,

The question here is the same issue I have wirh my new android miniPC to let my children (and even my self) an easy access to files stored on my PC.

My device is not rooted (not I'm goind to do so).

The device is conected over the same LAN (wi-fi is disabled).

I saw codlike two solutions ("solid explorer" or MountManager) but both need root, is there another solution?
es file explorer?
Current Device:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005) LTE
Running Stock Android 4.4.2 with Knox Status 0x1

Older Devices:
hTC Himalaya | hTC Wizard | hTC Kaiser | hTC Touch Pro 2 | hTC Dream | Samsung Galaxy S II | iPhone 4 | hTC One X | Acer Iconia A100 | Nexus 7 3G | Samsung Galaxy Note II | Samsung Galaxy S4