XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLVED] Slow GPS Fix Rooted device with DroidWall

Tip us?

rsommerv
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [SOLVED] Slow GPS Fix Rooted device with DroidWall

I have had a long standing problem with very slow GPS locks on my SGS2 but the solution could affect anyone with a rooted device using DroidWall. It's blindingly obvious really, I had DroidWall restrict 3G access to known apps, if I didn't know what it was then it didn't get access until it caused problems. However I ended up blocking the phone from downloading A-GPS data meaning the GPS lock was from cold every time which meant minutes of GPS searching - Unless I was on a wifi network - meaning sometimes locks were fast, sometimes very slow.

The process on my phone controlling this was 1000:Android System once I enabled this for 3G access lock times dropped to 20 seconds.

Hope it helps someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsommerv For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

anoopgkris
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsommerv View Post
I have had a long standing problem with very slow GPS locks on my SGS2 but the solution could affect anyone with a rooted device using DroidWall. It's blindingly obvious really, I had DroidWall restrict 3G access to known apps, if I didn't know what it was then it didn't get access until it caused problems. However I ended up blocking the phone from downloading A-GPS data meaning the GPS lock was from cold every time which meant minutes of GPS searching - Unless I was on a wifi network - meaning sometimes locks were fast, sometimes very slow.

The process on my phone controlling this was 1000:Android System once I enabled this for 3G access lock times dropped to 20 seconds.

Hope it helps someone else.
I'll try this tonight. I always having problems after rooting and modding, with GPS locking taking more than 10 minutes nowadays.
I first enabled the GPS entry in Droidwall, but it didn't help, thought it was for the A-GPS service. Will check in some time.
Thanks,
Anoop
Streamed from XDA App on my SGS+ on ADC CM11 Kitkat 4.4.2 - Rel 4 - K^Kernel 1.7 366 MB OC UV

anoopgkris
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopgkris View Post
I'll try this tonight. I always having problems after rooting and modding, with GPS locking taking more than 10 minutes nowadays.
I first enabled the GPS entry in Droidwall, but it didn't help, thought it was for the A-GPS service. Will check in some time.
Thanks,
Anoop
Amazing, i got a fix in less than 20 seconds !!
Streamed from XDA App on my SGS+ on ADC CM11 Kitkat 4.4.2 - Rel 4 - K^Kernel 1.7 366 MB OC UV
The Following User Says Thank You to anoopgkris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rsommerv
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopgkris View Post
Amazing, i got a fix in less than 20 seconds !!
superb, glad it helped, thanks for letting me know
Tags
a-gps, droidwall, gps, root, rooted