Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,274 Members 38,975 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Root T999 (variants) on android 4.3 AND remove knox

Tip us?
 
cLogic
Old
(Last edited by cLogic; 10th December 2013 at 11:14 PM.) Reason: added info & recommendations from @Perseus71
#1  
cLogic's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 179
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal
Info 2 [GUIDE] Root T999 (variants) on android 4.3 AND remove knox


WARNING: Following any of these instructions WILL void your warranty,
and could possibly cause irreparable harm to your device (i.e. bricked)
If you do Not understand these risks, stop here and do Not proceed.
If you do Not know how to use Odin, stop here and do Not proceed.
This guide is ONLY for SGH-T999 variants that are ALREADY RUNNING android 4.3
If you do Not have a SGH-T999 variant, stop here and do Not proceed.
If you are Not currently running android 4.3, stop here and do Not proceed.
I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. YOU chose to follow this guide.


I have the SGH-T999V (samsung galaxy S3, canada, Videotron)
I flashed the full 4.3 firmware from samsung-updates.com as soon as it became available ... and then I tried to root it the usual ways
However knox prevented the superSu app from running, and it closed immediately, and obviously root was Not available to any app

This method will obtain ROOT and REMOVE the knox garbage
note ... altho it is optional to remove knox, I have Not tested without removing knox and do Not know if root will work using this method (guide) with knox still installed !


I did NOT create this method ... I simply found it, read thru user comments, and used it
FULL CREDIT goes to
@upndwn4par for the method ... the thread is here
@Kaito95 for the Knox Removal script ... the thread is here
@Dees_Troy for the TWRP recovery
@Chainfire for SuperSu

as you can see, this method was for the AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus Samsung Galaxy S3 ... I747 variants, I believe


So here is how I achieved a successful root on 4.3 using the above method, with adjustments for our T999 variant
Using Method #2

1. Download required files
a) download Odin 3.07 to your PC
b) download the latest TWRP recovery for your device, in TAR format, to your PC
  • click on your device here
  • scroll down on your device page to the section called Download - Odin Flashable Tar
  • below that, click on the Select the latest .tar file from here link
  • scroll to the bottom of the files and click on the latest TAR version

note to d2tmo users ... thanks to @Perseus71 it has been noted that 2.6 versions may have issues on your device, and it is recommended that you choose the 2.5.0.0 TAR version

example: Mine looks like this: openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-d2can.tar

note to T999V users ... both d2can and d2tmo work for our device ... I personally use d2can
c) download SuperSu 1.65 zip to your DEVICE
c) download Knox Removal zip to your DEVICE

2. Reboot into Download mode ... VolumeDOWN + Power + Home
  • Run Odin
  • make sure that re-partition is NOT checked!
  • click the PDA button and point to the TWRP recovery TAR file that you downloaded above
  • connect your device to the computer ... wait briefly
  • the COMM port in top left box should turn blue
  • click Start
  • when it is done, PASSED, and phone has rebooted, disconnect device

3. Reboot into Recovery mode ... VolumeUP + Power + Home
  • Flash (install) the Knox Remover zip
  • Flash (install) the SuperSu zip ... it is version 1.65, current is 1.80, so it will prompt us to update later
  • Reboot System

4. Update SuperSu from the Play Store


5. Open SuperSu
  • it should prompt that it needs to update the binary
  • accept and let it update the binary the Normal way

6. Reboot


7. Enjoy rooted 4.3, knox-free


thanks again to @Perseus71 for noting that it is possible that the default Enforcing mode of SElinux may cause issues with the ability and/or performance of some root apps despite being granted root permission

if you are experiencing similar issues, he recommends that you check out the SELINUX Status Changer app.
[I have Not personally tested this app]


Samsung Galaxy S III pebble blue 16GB
model: SGH-T999V with SanDisk 32GB UHS1 Class 10 sdcard
baseband: T999VVLUFNF1 kitkat 4.4.2
recovery: TWRP d2can 2.8.0.1
root: SuperSu
rom: CyanogenMod 11 M9 20140914-NIGHTLY-d2lte (4.4.4)
mod: Xposed framework 2.6.1
rom: Omni 4.4.4-20140910-d2lte
rom: Resurrection Remix KK 5.1.5 (4.4.2)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
click the purty Thanks button on the left if I helped
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to cLogic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
cLogic
Old
#2  
cLogic's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 179
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal
Default reserved

in case
Samsung Galaxy S III pebble blue 16GB
model: SGH-T999V with SanDisk 32GB UHS1 Class 10 sdcard
baseband: T999VVLUFNF1 kitkat 4.4.2
recovery: TWRP d2can 2.8.0.1
root: SuperSu
rom: CyanogenMod 11 M9 20140914-NIGHTLY-d2lte (4.4.4)
mod: Xposed framework 2.6.1
rom: Omni 4.4.4-20140910-d2lte
rom: Resurrection Remix KK 5.1.5 (4.4.2)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
click the purty Thanks button on the left if I helped
The Following User Says Thank You to cLogic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Perseus71
Old
(Last edited by Perseus71; 10th December 2013 at 08:12 PM.)
#3  
Perseus71's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,833
Posts: 6,306
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Atlantis

 
DONATE TO ME
You may also wish to mention the SELINUX Status Changer. Here's the Thread.

With it enabled, root won't be stable.

Ahem. First ?

EDIT - TWRP 2.6.x.x has trouble remounting and formatting /Data. You may wish to reccomend version 2.5.0.0
 
cLogic
Old
#4  
cLogic's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 179
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
You may also wish to mention the SELINUX Status Changer. Here's the Thread.

With it enabled, root won't be stable.

Ahem. First ?

EDIT - TWRP 2.6.x.x has trouble remounting and formatting /Data. You may wish to reccomend version 2.5.0.0

hi and thanks for your input

I just looked at that SELINUX Status Changer thread and will keep an eye on it ... but for now I won't add it cuz:
  • the dev says it is pre-alpha version
  • Mine is Enforcing and root seems stable and hasn't had any problems, yet ... 4 days so far
  • SElinux is here to stay, and there's a big difference between proper (Google) implementation and samching implementation ... root blocked by samching, but not by standard android enforcing #BAM

congrats on being first, lol

what kind of things are you referring to when you say that root won't be stable?

what is your device d2 id?
I haven't had any problems with twrp 2.6.3 for d2can
THAT is something I WILL add, for your specific device
any particular reason you're recommending all the way back to 2.5 instead of just earlier 2.6 version?
Samsung Galaxy S III pebble blue 16GB
model: SGH-T999V with SanDisk 32GB UHS1 Class 10 sdcard
baseband: T999VVLUFNF1 kitkat 4.4.2
recovery: TWRP d2can 2.8.0.1
root: SuperSu
rom: CyanogenMod 11 M9 20140914-NIGHTLY-d2lte (4.4.4)
mod: Xposed framework 2.6.1
rom: Omni 4.4.4-20140910-d2lte
rom: Resurrection Remix KK 5.1.5 (4.4.2)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
click the purty Thanks button on the left if I helped
 
Perseus71
Old
#5  
Perseus71's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,833
Posts: 6,306
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Atlantis

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cLogic View Post
what kind of things are you referring to when you say that root won't be stable?

what is your device d2 id?
I haven't had any problems with twrp 2.6.3 for d2can
THAT is something I WILL add, for your specific device
any particular reason you're recommending all the way back to 2.5 instead of just earlier 2.6 version?
I have D2TMO AKA SGH-T999. Yes this is specific to my variant. I tested all the 2.6.x versions to establish that the /Data Problem exists in all these versions.

As to Root, well, Certain apps such as Nandroid Manager, and other apps have difficulty performing Root operation despite SuperSU granting it. @Aerowinder has a lot of stories. May I suggest you please visit the D2TMO Leaked 4.3 Rom thread in development for more details ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perseus71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
cLogic
Old
#6  
cLogic's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 179
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
I have D2TMO AKA SGH-T999. Yes this is specific to my variant. I tested all the 2.6.x versions to establish that the /Data Problem exists in all these versions.

As to Root, well, Certain apps such as Nandroid Manager, and other apps have difficulty performing Root operation despite SuperSU granting it. @Aerowinder has a lot of stories. May I suggest you please visit the D2TMO Leaked 4.3 Rom thread in development for more details ?

fair enough ... thanks again for your input ... OP updated
Samsung Galaxy S III pebble blue 16GB
model: SGH-T999V with SanDisk 32GB UHS1 Class 10 sdcard
baseband: T999VVLUFNF1 kitkat 4.4.2
recovery: TWRP d2can 2.8.0.1
root: SuperSu
rom: CyanogenMod 11 M9 20140914-NIGHTLY-d2lte (4.4.4)
mod: Xposed framework 2.6.1
rom: Omni 4.4.4-20140910-d2lte
rom: Resurrection Remix KK 5.1.5 (4.4.2)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
click the purty Thanks button on the left if I helped
 
trepoman
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Did this to the letter and soft bricked as soon as I flashed the mod zip in twrp. Stuck on pulsing samsung logo.
Had to reflash. Tried twice just to be sure.
(T999) (root, 4.3 stock)
 
cLogic
Old
#8  
cLogic's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 179
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepoman View Post
Did this to the letter and soft bricked as soon as I flashed the mod zip in twrp. Stuck on pulsing samsung logo.
Had to reflash. Tried twice just to be sure.
(T999) (root, 4.3 stock)
what do you mean ... bricked as soon as you flashed mod zip? you mean the knox removal script?
not sure how that's even possible

if you see the pulsing logo, then you rebooted

your T999 is rooted?
meaning it was before, or everything was fine after you did it twice?
Samsung Galaxy S III pebble blue 16GB
model: SGH-T999V with SanDisk 32GB UHS1 Class 10 sdcard
baseband: T999VVLUFNF1 kitkat 4.4.2
recovery: TWRP d2can 2.8.0.1
root: SuperSu
rom: CyanogenMod 11 M9 20140914-NIGHTLY-d2lte (4.4.4)
mod: Xposed framework 2.6.1
rom: Omni 4.4.4-20140910-d2lte
rom: Resurrection Remix KK 5.1.5 (4.4.2)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
click the purty Thanks button on the left if I helped
 
trepoman
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cLogic View Post
what do you mean ... bricked as soon as you flashed mod zip? you mean the knox removal script?
not sure how that's even possible

if you see the pulsing logo, then you rebooted

your T999 is rooted?
meaning it was before, or everything was fine after you did it twice?
The native tether mod. Knox remover worked fine.
Phone is rooted, stock 4.3.
Flashed tether mod in twrp recovery, which succeed but phone would not boot past the pulsing Samsung afterwards (10 minutes of pulsing, never booted past that) nor would it boot to recovery. I could get to boot loader luckily. I pulled the battery and tried again, same thing. Flashed stock 4.3 in Odin to get phone alive, tried flashing tether mod again, exact same result and same solution. HTH.
So close to clicking buy now on a nexus 5...
 
cLogic
Old
#10  
cLogic's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 179
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepoman View Post
The native tether mod. Knox remover worked fine.
Phone is rooted, stock 4.3.
Flashed tether mod in twrp recovery, which succeed but phone would not boot past the pulsing Samsung afterwards (10 minutes of pulsing, never booted past that) nor would it boot to recovery. I could get to boot loader luckily. I pulled the battery and tried again, same thing. Flashed stock 4.3 in Odin to get phone alive, tried flashing tether mod again, exact same result and same solution. HTH.
So close to clicking buy now on a nexus 5...

ummm .. not sure what this tether mod is that you are talking about, but it's not part of this guide, lol

this guide simply flashes the knox removal script (to delete knox files) and superSu (to root)
Samsung Galaxy S III pebble blue 16GB
model: SGH-T999V with SanDisk 32GB UHS1 Class 10 sdcard
baseband: T999VVLUFNF1 kitkat 4.4.2
recovery: TWRP d2can 2.8.0.1
root: SuperSu
rom: CyanogenMod 11 M9 20140914-NIGHTLY-d2lte (4.4.4)
mod: Xposed framework 2.6.1
rom: Omni 4.4.4-20140910-d2lte
rom: Resurrection Remix KK 5.1.5 (4.4.2)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
click the purty Thanks button on the left if I helped

Tags
4.3, knox, root, t999
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes