WARNING: Following any of these instructions WILL void your warranty,
and could possibly cause irreparable harm to your device (i.e. bricked)
If you do Not understand these risks, stop here and do Not proceed.
If you do Not know how to use Odin, stop here and do Not proceed.
This guide is ONLY for SGH-T999 variants that are ALREADY RUNNING android 4.3
If you do Not have a SGH-T999 variant, stop here and do Not proceed.
If you are Not currently running android 4.3, stop here and do Not proceed.
I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. YOU chose to follow this guide.
I have the SGH-T999V (samsung galaxy S3, canada, Videotron)
I flashed the full 4.3 firmware from samsung-updates.com as soon as it became available ... and then I tried to root it the usual ways
However knox prevented the superSu app from running, and it closed immediately, and obviously root was Not available to any app
This method will obtain ROOT and REMOVE the knox garbage
note ... altho it is optional to remove knox, I have Not tested without removing knox and do Not know if root will work using this method (guide) with knox still installed !
I did NOT create this method ... I simply found it, read thru user comments, and used it
FULL CREDIT goes to
@upndwn4par for the method ... the thread is here
@Kaito95 for the Knox Removal script ... the thread is here
@Dees_Troy for the TWRP recovery
@Chainfire for SuperSu
as you can see, this method was for the AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus Samsung Galaxy S3 ... I747 variants, I believe
So here is how I achieved a successful root on 4.3 using the above method, with adjustments for our T999 variant
Using Method #2
1. Download required filesa) download Odin 3.07 to your PCb) download the latest TWRP recovery for your device, in TAR format, to your PC
- click on your device here
- scroll down on your device page to the section called Download - Odin Flashable Tar
- below that, click on the Select the latest .tar file from here link
- scroll to the bottom of the files and click on the latest TAR version
note to d2tmo users ... thanks to @Perseus71 it has been noted that 2.6 versions may have issues on your device, and it is recommended that you choose the 22.214.171.124 TAR version
example: Mine looks like this: openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199-d2can.tar
note to T999V users ... both d2can and d2tmo work for our device ... I personally use d2can
c) download SuperSu 1.65 zip to your DEVICEc) download Knox Removal zip to your DEVICE
2. Reboot into Download mode ... VolumeDOWN + Power + Home
- Run Odin
- make sure that re-partition is NOT checked!
- click the PDA button and point to the TWRP recovery TAR file that you downloaded above
- connect your device to the computer ... wait briefly
- the COMM port in top left box should turn blue
- click Start
- when it is done, PASSED, and phone has rebooted, disconnect device
3. Reboot into Recovery mode ... VolumeUP + Power + Home
- Flash (install) the Knox Remover zip
- Flash (install) the SuperSu zip ... it is version 1.65, current is 1.80, so it will prompt us to update later
- Reboot System
4. Update SuperSu from the Play Store
5. Open SuperSu
- it should prompt that it needs to update the binary
- accept and let it update the binary the Normal way
7. Enjoy rooted 4.3, knox-free
thanks again to @Perseus71 for noting that it is possible that the default Enforcing mode of SElinux may cause issues with the ability and/or performance of some root apps despite being granted root permission
if you are experiencing similar issues, he recommends that you check out the SELINUX Status Changer app.
[I have Not personally tested this app]