XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I can't get any other custom ROMs to work on my S4

Tip us?

alexdoo122
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question I can't get any other custom ROMs to work on my S4

Hello, I am new to this so forgive any misused jargon. I got an AT&T Galaxy S4 right around Thanksgiving and like a fool I couldn't wait to root it and install ROMs - so I did.
This is the current version of my phone after rooting it. I am on stock-rooted right now.

Model #:SGH-I337
Android Version: 4.2.2 (It was 4.3 straight out of the box, BUT it was NOT the OTA update).
Baseband Version: I337UCUAMF3
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-812098 se.infra@SEP-103 #1

I used this method to root it: (Since I can't post links yet, search"root galaxy s4 at&t mj7" and it should be the first video, uploaded by Tomsgt123)

Shortly after, I installed ROM Manager for CWM and I have CWM 6.0.4.4 but I never used it.
Then I installed Titanium Backup even though I also never used it.

I discovered SafeStrap and installed version 3.65 (TWRP v2.6.3.1) and I was able to successfully create a ROM slot for Hyperdrive, which
installed smoothly for me. However, when I wanted to try out other ROMs (Cyanogenmod, PAC-ROM, OmniROM) they wouldn't work.
After flashing them, my phone would turn off (or the screen stays black) and I would have to hold the power button to reboot it so I can revert to the stock ROM in Safestrap.

I really want to try another custom ROM, because I'm jealous of all the cool themes people have. Am I doing something wrong? Or did I ruin something during the rooting process? Any feedback is appreciated.

RockRatt
Old
(Last edited by RockRatt; 12th December 2013 at 04:05 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3388
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdoo122 View Post
Hello, I am new to this so forgive any misused jargon. I got an AT&T Galaxy S4 right around Thanksgiving and like a fool I couldn't wait to root it and install ROMs - so I did.
This is the current version of my phone after rooting it. I am on stock-rooted right now.

Model #:SGH-I337
Android Version: 4.2.2 (It was 4.3 straight out of the box, BUT it was NOT the OTA update).
Baseband Version: I337UCUAMF3
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-812098 se.infra@SEP-103 #1

I used this method to root it: (Since I can't post links yet, search"root galaxy s4 at&t mj7" and it should be the first video, uploaded by Tomsgt123)

Shortly after, I installed ROM Manager for CWM and I have CWM 6.0.4.4 but I never used it.
Then I installed Titanium Backup even though I also never used it.

I discovered SafeStrap and installed version 3.65 (TWRP v2.6.3.1) and I was able to successfully create a ROM slot for Hyperdrive, which
installed smoothly for me. However, when I wanted to try out other ROMs (Cyanogenmod, PAC-ROM, OmniROM) they wouldn't work.
After flashing them, my phone would turn off (or the screen stays black) and I would have to hold the power button to reboot it so I can revert to the stock ROM in Safestrap.

I really want to try another custom ROM, because I'm jealous of all the cool themes people have. Am I doing something wrong? Or did I ruin something during the rooting process? Any feedback is appreciated.
First off MF3 is not 4.3 right out of the box. MF3 is exactly as you wrote it, 4.2.2 android firmware. As you have found ONLY safestrap will work on MF3. To flash Roms you can ONLY FLASH 4.2 based Roms. Check out this link to see WHICH ROMS you CAN flash http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2428254 with safestrap.

You won't be able to flash CM or other asop Roms from my understanding. You can flash the Google Edition ROM 4.2.2. Again check out that link on the first post it shows Roms that can be flashed.

FROM THE POST I LINKED:
Confirmed working ROMs

Google Play Edition 4.2.2
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2356276
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2341376

Deadly Venom

SHOStock

Darth Stalker

Graviton (Installs fine for some, will not install for others)

Goldeneye (May have issues)

Wicked ROM (T-Mobile) Input correct APN and change network mode to Auto LTE/GSM Will most likely lose root.

All Infamous TW Roms should work

Input correct APN settings for non AT&T ROMs (ie i9505 ROMs) to get LTE

Omega ROM i9505

Echo ROM i9505

Vision X i9505

BoBCaTROM i9505 (May not need to change APN)

Hyperdrive ROM. (May not be able to send SMS while on LTE)

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE LINK THOUGH TO KNOW HOW TO FLASH CORRECTLY ANY OF TJESE ROMS

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

alexdoo122
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the tip! I'm just relieved that I wasn't doing anything overly-horrific to my phone!